Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feedback for the Photoshop Competition

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Why not let the winner of each week have a choice of a picture or a theme, and as a prize for being the winner they have to host the next thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

wthax now points to imgur. Might be worth pointing people at http://postimage.org/ instead

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Hi guys and gals, interest has seriously dropped off in the comp yet again.
    Is there any scope to continue or should we call it a day?

We are open to suggestions of improvement or even something new to replace the competition in its current form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

There's a tendency to scroll past stickeys.. Might be worth unstickeying for a while?

(Both feedback thread and comp thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wouldn't have it changing weekly. I've been caught out once or twice by that. By the time I get around to making an entry the competition has moved on. That would turn me off attempting anything, what's the point if I'm going to miss the deadline?

Maybe have a monthly theme and introduce a new relevant photo each week to inspire people.

Is it possible to put a thumbnail on that thread so when you enter the forum you can see what the theme is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,983 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Personally speaking, I haven't really had ideas.

This is nothing to do with the competition or the pictures, though: sometimes I look at the photos and nothing comes.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

The possibility of a handicap system to slow down the constant winners. Choice of next subject to the winner but they cannot participate in their chosen article.

Gives other people a chance to shine. hidden voting to stop people following success...

Judging panel for different elements, Humour, originality, artwork, interpretation, topicality.....

a Junior prize to encourage the younger element

a start submission date, entries posted by when a set number is reached release. open all entries.... Stops early bird killing the votes.

choice of subject, political, festive, in line with local events, artwork famous people, newly released films, TV series.... from drama, comedy, travel, the choice is endless.

Right, that#s all the brainstorming for the moment

The absurd, design a flag....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,983 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's also a bit disheartening when you judge on the number of thanks in the psot (fair enough and a good idea, don;t get me wrong) but then the original image gets more thanks than every entry combined....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Thanks for the feedback guys all is being considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

:D
    G5QdK8Q.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

LEIN wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback guys all is being considered.

How about (especially if the time is reduced from weekly) holding back entries for a few days, and then releasing them together.

I've never submitted an entry, as I wander in infrequently, but it often seems to be that the earlier entries get the most votes (like the first decent comeback on an AH thread often gets the most thanks). That can be discouraging for a competition.

Could also release entries without the posters identified - to be identified later. But that might be a bit too much hassle.

Advertisement