Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The SPIN Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

smurfs5 wrote: »
    During the last week when cover news presenters have been used, the news has never been read out straight after the end of the donut with a bit of a gap or else the newsreader has started reading the bulletin before his/her q.

The newsreaders are in a different building and they read the news at **:45:00 it's up to the presenter in studio either SPIN 1038 or SPIN South West to ensure that the donut is not spoken over, it's happened a few times on South West , but they just fade it down and you wouldn't really notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Was anyone listening to 1038 about 45 minutes ago?
    There was about 10 seconds of dead air at the end of the adverts coming into the news. The donut came on then(Brendan didn't do an intro). Once the donut finished, there was no sign of Ian so there was another 15 seconds of dead air before the emergency tape kicked in and played Ed Sheeran-Give Me Love. Then, half way through the song, it cut off and the donut came on again (no intro from Brendan again) and Ian started reading the news properly. Weird. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

Was anyone listening to 1038 about 45 minutes ago?
    There was about 10 seconds of dead air at the end of the adverts coming into the news. The donut came on then(Brendan didn't do an intro). Once the donut finished, there was no sign of Ian so there was another 15 seconds of dead air before the emergency tape kicked in and played Ed Sheeran-Give Me Love. Then, half way through the song, it cut off and the donut came on again (no intro from Brendan again) and Ian started reading the news properly. Weird. :confused:

What time was that? 45 minutes past the hour? Because that would have effected the South West's news-read too.

What time was that? 45 minutes past the hour? Because that would have effected the South West's news-read too.

I think something went wrong with the ads because the first donut came on too early. The second one which interrupted Ed Sheeran was at 3.45 so I don't think SPIN SW was affected, it was just SPIN's ad system went wrong.

I think something went wrong with the ads because the first donut came on too early. The second one which interrupted Ed Sheeran was at 3.45 so I don't think SPIN SW was affected, it was just SPIN's ad system went wrong.

Double tapped next possibly.

• Advertisement

Double tapped next possibly.

Yeah maybe that's it. It sounded like a complete mess though and it has now happened 2 days in a row!

Yeah maybe that's it. It sounded like a complete mess though and it has now happened 2 days in a row!

I wish SPIN had a listen back facility

It happened AGAIN this morning during Fully Charged. Karin did the news & sport and that was all fine but instead of one ad being played between the end of the sport and The Inside Story, somebody wasn't used to being back on the breakfast slot lined up a SPIN sweeper as well as the ad. Therefore, SPIN 1038 was late for The Inside Story so Ryan just came on instead and introduced the next track. This was the 7:45 bulletin BTW. Astonishingly, this has now happened 3 times(possibly more which I haven't heard) over the last few days. What a joke and so unprofessional.

Steve K is off again so Steven Cooper is doing SPIN Hits right now. While I prefer Brendan, Cooper is improving and starting to understand the SPIN format much better.

Jaysus happening alot, you'd think that these teething problems would have happened when they first started syndicating the news to SPIN sw.

Does anyone else think that Becki Miller is sounding much more natural on TRL now? It is like she has completely changed since coming back from her time off and I am finding her less forced in her presentation. She is actually starting to really grow on me.

I still find it patronising the way she says "Well Done!" to callers who request an amazing song, though. ;):p

• Advertisement

New jingles on TRL tonight. Thoughts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭jimmy2flutes

All the young talent thats out there trying to make it in the business and they have cooper on. Sure why would you bother?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

All the young talent thats out there trying to make it in the business and they have cooper on. Sure why would you bother?!
    Have to disagree with you there, I think Cooper is a great addition to spin. The pair that present Spin talk on 1038, don't get me started. He sounds bored out of his mind half the time and her voice goes through me. Wouldn't be such a bad show if they had better topics but a lot of it is just so juvenile. I know teens are the target audience of spin but I'd imagine since teens would be in school/college at that hour that it's young adults listening in the most part.

/sorry rant over!

That thing happened AGAIN today. at 15:45 the radio went dead then azelia banks 212 started then about15 seconds of that the news dounut came on and cooper said " gremlins in the system 10 spin hits on the road in the row" you could hear he was kinda shook about what happened

That thing happened AGAIN today. at 15:45 the radio went dead then azelia banks 212 started then about15 seconds of that the news dounut came on and cooper said " gremlins in the system 10 spin hits on the road in the row" you could hear he was kinda shook about what happened

I missed that but I presumed something was up based on Cooper's tweet a few minutes ago.
    This is extremely poor from SPIN. You expect better from a station which is usually so technically brilliant and has excellent imaging. The station usually runs like clockwork but these recurring glitches should have been dealt with by now.

I missed that but I presumed something was up based on Cooper's tweet a few minutes ago.
    This is extremely poor from SPIN. You expect better from a station which is usually so technically brilliant and has excellent imaging. The station usually runs like clockwork but these recurring glitches should have been dealt with by now.

I did a show on student radio and obviously we haven't the playout systems like they have and when something goes wrong , which it does first thing I do is fire on the mic and waffle off the contact details instead of sitting in the chair waiting for the emergency tapes to kick in.( if we had them :P )

news donut came on at 16:42 happened again.. except this time shona ryan ran into studio and played a song from a hotkey

news donut came on at 16:42 happened again.. except this time shona ryan ran into studio and played a song from a hotkey

Get on SPIN TV!!! It's hilarious. Otto Knows is playing and Shona Ryan is pushing all the buttons while Cooper sits there looking bemused!!!

Get on SPIN TV!!! It's hilarious. Otto Knows is playing and Shona Ryan is pushing all the buttons while Cooper sits there looking bemused!!!

it's not his day today :P

Hahahahahaha are you still listening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Hahahahahaha are you still listening?

Im watching on spin tv here,Madness there for a moment

it's not his day today :P

OMG this is brilliant!!!

Georgie: "Coming up on The Inside Story, blah blah blah....."

Nothing.

Que Shona sprinting into the studio again and hitting buttons to fill the dead air with SPIN sweepers. The Inside Story then starts late and Shona has her head in her hands while Cooper looks on like a lost child. They are then late for Georgie. What a mess.

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Im watching on spin tv here,Madness there for a moment

was watching .. hilarious..

I'd say there has to be something wrong with their RCS as a person with as much experience as Cooper wouldn't make these mistakes

I don't know if this is Cooper's fault but while his personality is good, he keeps crashing the jingles and trying to be like a club DJ. He doesn't sound right for the station IMO, a bit too old.

Out of everyone that could have covered, I'm surprised Cooper got it.

Martin, Brendan and Riyadh are all brilliant IMO and are a good listen so they could have done it as could Shona. Brendan was on last week and should have covered this week as well.

There is some techy guy in the studio right now while Cooper takes a breather. This is what SPIN TV was made for!!

Clare McKenna is in for Sarina on Plan B today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Out of interest as anyone actually listened to Spin Jordan or the Czech Republic one? Is the content similar or does it similar in name only?

(Presume there's no silmucasts!) :D

Niles wrote: »
    Out of interest as anyone actually listened to Spin Jordan or the Czech Republic one? Is the content similar or does it similar in name only?

(Presume there's no silmucasts!) :D

Yes I have heard SPIN Jordan, its brutal and about 4 presenters cover the whole schedule. Not sure about Czech Republic though.

Oh and no networking either, no affiliation whatsoever only they are both owned by Communicorp.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Spin Czech Republic is worse than SPIN Jordan!

There's a webcam though! :)

It plays all this urban stuff and the website is awfull

You're right about the 4 presenters, and Spin Jo even do 100 SPIN hits in a row - no joke!

• Advertisement

Just heard the new TRL opener, sounds good. Still though i'm not gone on the bed I don't think it suits Becki's voice well & on another note I despise the female voice-over if i'm honest no emotion whatsoever.

Advertisement