Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Viber Megathread

• 04-02-2011 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Download it from the app store (its free) and you can make free iphone to iphone calls if they have viber too. Free SMS also

http://www.viber.com/
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

they can do that anyway, assuming they have the skype app

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭karlyk1

Viber is an absolutely brilliant app, I find it better than Skype. For instance, was in Malta recently and while having a cold beer in the middle of the plaza in Valetta I noticed the cafe had free wifi. Called my brother here in Dublin and it was studio-quality, with no drops in connection or delays, and had a 1/2 hour conversation for free. Vodafone can stick their roaming charges up their a**e.
    BTW, Whats App is another great app..... similar vibe except it's free texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eskimoparty

+1 for Whatsapp, its great for picture messages also. I must not be using the viber app properly, I can never hear the other person on the other side!! I just use skype instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Viber coming to Android too and it will be cross compatible. i.e. Viber iPhone --> Viber Android will work.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/02/viber-android-video/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

A sip provider like blueface.ie would allow you to do the same. Free blueface to blueface calls.

Doesn't have to be iphone to iphone either.

I'm not sure is there any good free sip clients on the Iphone though.

For the PC there is x-lite4 (free)
    For the android you can use sipdroid (free)

Nokia Symbian software have sip clients built in too, but they are quite complicated (although it does integrate nicely into the phone)! Fring might be an easier alternative for Nokia phones

The nice thing about having blueface setup is that you could ring normal numbers (like skype, except their rates would be better) and you will be given a voip number (basically a Irish national number) so people can call you on it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭karlyk1

+1 for Whatsapp, its great for picture messages also. I must not be using the viber app properly, I can never hear the other person on the other side!! I just use skype instead!

Actually, meant to say if you use it with 3G it's a bit pants. Using on WiFi it's excellent, from my experience so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

A couple of things.

Vodafone dont seem to allow Voip over there mobile network. If you go to the Vodaofne forum and search for "skype" you'll see what im talking about.

Havent had much joy with 02 either, it is working for some, not for others.

Working good on Meteor and 3.

If you cant hear people on the other end at all, there is something you might need to enable called STUN (stunserver.org is a free stunserver) (i dont know is it on the viber app, but is on most sip clients)

If the thing isnt registering at all, you might need to open the port on your router (normally 5060 UDP)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

karlyk1 wrote: »
    Viber is an absolutely brilliant app, I find it better than Skype. For instance, was in Malta recently and while having a cold beer in the middle of the plaza in Valetta I noticed the cafe had free wifi. Called my brother here in Dublin and it was studio-quality, with no drops in connection or delays, and had a 1/2 hour conversation for free. Vodafone can stick their roaming charges up their a**e.
    BTW, Whats App is another great app..... similar vibe except it's free texts.

haven't had any issues with skype over 3G on my iphone 4. its got video calls now too with the latest app update but i haven't tried it yet.

does viber offer anything skype doesn't have?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

I'm using Viber for the last month on wifi & 3g and find it mostly good. This is a brilliant free app. No iphone user should be without it.

I've even used it whilst driving on hands free talking to a buddy out walking in New York!.

does anyone have any feedback on Whatsapp? I'd be interested to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,003 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

skype video or audio calls works great on new ipod touch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

the caller needs to be in a wireless zone to call for free ? it does mt matter where the person who receives the call is ? sorry a bit slow in these matters !

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Gaolcon

the caller needs to be in a wireless zone to call for free ? it does mt matter where the person who receives the call is ? sorry a bit slow in these matters !

Wireless makes call clearer and better, but ive used on 3G and its fine and free,
    doesn't matter where person is i've talked to people abroad and no charge.
    Best thing is, to receive a call you don't need the App on.

BTW im on o2 Iphone 3gs.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Is there any difference between viber n skype??

unklerosco wrote: »
    Is there any difference between viber n skype??

in order to receive a call Skype needs to be on, Viber does not need to be on,
    one main difference for me

Doesn't skype run in the background now? I could have sworn I got calls on skype when I was running a different app...

From what I can tell u can only call other viber users?? U can't add credit to it ring landlines, mobiles??

Edit: Skype does run in the background. http://mashable.com/2010/07/21/skype-for-iphone-multitasking/

Doesn't skype run in the background now? I could have sworn I got calls on skype when I was running a different app...

From what I can tell u can only call other viber users?? U can't add credit to it ring landlines, mobiles??

Edit: Skype does run in the background. http://mashable.com/2010/07/21/skype-for-iphone-multitasking/

Thanks for that, but i haven't upgraded to ios4 just yet, plus i take it from the article it still needs to be running using multitasking.
    Does this also have an effect on battery usage?

It would do but I imagine viber is running in the background also....
    I do like the way it uses ur contact list tho, thats pretty neat

It would do but I imagine viber is running in the background also....
    I do like the way it uses ur contact list tho, thats pretty neat

Yep its a keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Have my first android phone and also have an existing blueface account, so would viper be the best app to install and configure to my sip account. The blueface website refers to fring, how do they compare?

Seeing this thread, the voip quality is best over wifi, with meteor or 3 as the next best thing over 3g? Had hoped to use the sip account to reduce the call costs, mightnt work out that way....

Thanks

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Viber is supposed to run over the 3G network but avoids direct dialling to use your minutes. Have tried it but TBH find it very poor unless you are using wi-fi. This defeats its big selling point v skype so can't see myself using it very often if it doesn't do what it says on the tin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭klingklang

I wish they'd hurry up with the iPod version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

This was posted by one of the creators over in the Android forum. Fantastic news! :D
    Within the next few days our new version - Viber 2.0 - will be available for download in AppStore.

So what's new in Viber 2.0?

- OUR NEW TEXT MESSAGING SERVICE!
    - TONS of bug fixes, including connectivity problems, issues with users who aren't identified as Viber users, and many many more.
    - An improved calling mechanism that allows you to know if the other side's Viber is actually ringing
    - A "Don't show this message again" option when trying to make a regular GSM call through Viber
    - A new, easy option to deactivate your Viber account from inside the application itself
    - Relocation of "Favorites" tab

SMS feature is absolute mint!

Seems there was a bit of a kerfuffle over the in that forum, with a couple of complaints from some users that the guy was promoting a product that wasn't even an Android app on that forum, despite the fact the Android version is currently in development (good news for us too as more of our friends will be able to get this app!)

I'm sure us far more mature iOS users (:pac:) will not have any complaints about what is a fantastic app being offered for free, and we'll welcome the guy with open arms if he comes in here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Might be a silly question, but I used see alot of people recommending this (it used to also do well in the app store rankings), what's it have that skype doesnt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Drakar wrote: »
    Might be a silly question, but I used see alot of people recommending this (it used to also do well in the app store rankings), what's it have that skype doesnt?

You must open Skype to receive a call. With Viber you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

agreed..viber is awesome...plus you can see on your contacts who has viber and who doesn't..very easy to use and accessible.
    can't wait for it to be on android so my cheap and poor mates can download it as well ;)
    cant' believe the guy that was bitching on the andriod form..what a fcúking twat..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Skype doesn't work if you've opened it and left it on the multi tasking bar no?
    I was wondering the same why everyone was so excited about it... might get it myself now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Skype doesn't work if you've opened it and left it on the multi tasking bar no?
    I was wondering the same why everyone was so excited about it... might get it myself now!

If you have Skyoe opened it will work. And as Sac@crow mentioned about it looks through your contact list and creates a contacts list of it's own of who has the app. Install it and give it a go. It is a brilliant app.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I've been using WhatsApp and Viber together for ages and it has helped me moved from the €60 a month tariff on 3 to the €40 month package! WhatsApp was the best 79c I ever spent on the AppStore and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that Viber was free!

An SMS function will mean I can ditch WhatsApp and have everything in one app. Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Hopefully will fix my problem, i can't see when people are trying to call me, when i'm in the app or not, but they show up as missed calls in my call history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mitsybaby

Whatsapp is great for sending pics and videos!!! :rolleyes:

Advertisement