Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

nearly fatal accident with collar

• 10-11-2010 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Just a warning for the owners of multiple dogs out there, we had a nasty incident with two of ours last week. My boyfriend was at home and the two younger dogs were play fighting in the living room.All of a sudden the growling and other doggie noises became more serious, the two of them were on the floor in what looked like a real fight situation, he yelled at them and threw two glasses of water over them until he realized what had happened. One of them had been biting the others collar, she had become flipped over, wrapping the collar around her bottom jaw and therefore choking the other dog. His tongue was sticking out of his mouth, was purple and swollen and he was bleeding from his nose. My boyfriend cut his collar off him and thankfully apart from severely bloodshot eyes he was fine. We later asked a vet about what happened and he said that my boyfriend and had had about a minutes to have saved him before he would have been brain damaged or dead. The other dog could also have broken her jaw. So I guess if you have two or more dogs who like to wrestle and tug on each others collars it could be a good idea to leave the collars off while you're not home. It doesn't bear thinking about what we would have come home to if my boyfriend had not been at home that day. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

there are collars that have a release built in which stops them from hangin them selves as well but the way they are made as soon ahs you put a lead on them the safty latch locks so a dog that pulls wont trip it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I know our cat and the neighbours cat seem to take great pleasure in taking each other's collars off and then ripping them to shreds :D
    Not sure if they are fighting or if its deliberate or what the story is but they were at it in our garden one day during the summer and I went and turned the hose on them and found the 2 collars in bits this has happened 5/6 times that I know of but we are are on collar no. 10 for this year so far :eek:
    Its better in winter though cos our moggy is too warm indoors to wander next door for a fight :rolleyes:

Edit: Both cats have those quick release collars that cats need in case they go climbing trees etc but i assume you can get the same for dogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

there are collars that have a release built in which stops them from hangin them selves as well but the way they are made as soon ahs you put a lead on them the safty latch locks so a dog that pulls wont trip it

Where can you get these collars? My dogs are off-lead in wooded areas and I've always been concerned that they could get their collars caught in fallen branches or other snags

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

what a horrific story and while agree leaving the collars of would be the best idea the only prob there is that the law is collars and tags have to be on 24/7 and i know this to my cost. yesterday i was in kitchen, it was feeding time at the zoo when a knock came to the door. Answered it was dog warden doing door to door checks, i had seen this posted,anyways seen my licence anfd then done me for my 3 dogs because they didnt have their collars on. the collars were lined up on my key rack where i always keep them. i take them off when there in house/garden s they sit there and chew them of each other.
    What a stupid law. yeah im the 1st one to agree dog should be taged and chipped. yes i know dogs can get out/stolen out of garden but no one can acess my garden and dogs can def not get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

portgirl123 :confused: how could he do you for your dogs not having collars on in your own home?? Thats sounds completely crazy.

what is the law on this..collar and tags or do they need chips now too?

we never had collars on our guys at home as they used to play fight like that as it always worried us about them getting caught up. Lucky you got there and both doggies ok, big fright though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The only time my dogs wear a collar is when they are out on a walk. I never leave a collar on them apart from that.

I have a cousin whos dog was killed my getting his collar caught on the garden fence one time. She came home to find the dog hanging dead from the fence, so not a nice thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

what a horrific story and while agree leaving the collars of would be the best idea the only prob there is that the law is collars and tags have to be on 24/7 and i know this to my cost. yesterday i was in kitchen, it was feeding time at the zoo when a knock came to the door. Answered it was dog warden doing door to door checks, i had seen this posted,anyways seen my licence anfd then done me for my 3 dogs because they didnt have their collars on. the collars were lined up on my key rack where i always keep them. i take them off when there in house/garden s they sit there and chew them of each other.
    What a stupid law. yeah im the 1st one to agree dog should be taged and chipped. yes i know dogs can get out/stolen out of garden but no one can acess my garden and dogs can def not get out.

You've got to be joking? Dont hold me to this but the law only applies when your out in public. What you do in your own home is your own buriness. By that right id have to muzzle my akitas when theyre in my kitchen. I hope you didnt pay anything, id fight that.

Sorry, but you dont have to have collars on your dog in your own home. Its only when they are walking out in public they must have a collar. Are you sure it was the dog warden? Ive heard of these type of scams going on.

There is no law to say your dog has to have a collar on, in your own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

yesterday i was in kitchen, it was feeding time at the zoo when a knock came to the door. Answered it was dog warden doing door to door checks, i had seen this posted,anyways seen my licence anfd then done me for my 3 dogs because they didnt have their collars on.
    Ring the warden today to appeal this - you cannot be fined for having dogs without collars and ID on your private property. If they tell you that nobody called to your house, contact the Gardai immediately.

On topic, I can actually see how this could happen as I've nearly had my fingers broken a couple of times from the same effect - if you grab the dog's collar by two fingers (say your index and middle fingers) and the dog turns around quickly, it causes a twist in the collar, so it's looped both around your fingers and around the dog's neck. This obviously tightens the collar and it's quite hard to remove your fingers without untwisting it. Replace your fingers with a dog's lower jaw, and the same thing can happen. Rare enough, but the dogs wouldn't have a clue how to get out of the hold.

i have phone dog warden this morning also random dog warden from dif county and the law is they have 2 have collars and tags 24/7. tried to explain my guys are totally indoor dogs, only let in garden for toilet and when washing floors, my garden is so secure nothing can get in or out. collars and tags are put on them when we go out for walks or drive in cars plus they are chipped. apparently it doesnt matter.
    if i leave collars on they are eat, they will just sit there and nibble away till there off. which is grand during day but at nite and if i have to pop out and cant tale them with me i can quarantee that at least one will be eat.

Also other half just got of phone to council they said while they can understand where we are coming from, but they are sorry the law is the law, they have to be on 24/7

• Advertisement

Omg that is mental!!:eek:
    If anyone came to my house to fine me for my dogs not wearing a collar in the house they would be told in no uncertain terms where to go!!!
    He obviously had nothing better to do and i would imagine he got a tip off as well, or has been watching you for some reason.

andreac wrote: »
    Omg that is mental!!:eek:
    If anyone came to my house to fine me for my dogs not wearing a collar in the house they would be told in no uncertain terms where to go!!!
    He obviously had nothing better to do and i would imagine he got a tip off as well, or has been watching you for some reason.
    no, no tip of, or anything sinister, doing the rounds. i have seen the poster up in post office saying they were doing this. did all r estate last nite.
    dont know how to post links but just looking up dogs law in ireland and it does say id has to be on at all times. looks like i will have to pay fine. if it goes to court will be higher.

Hmmm.

The law does in fact say, "At all times" and doesn't make reference to the animal being in public or not.

A dubious interpretation of the law IMO, if you had money to burn or you happened to be a solicitor, it would be worth fighting. Otherwise, I would just pay the fines.

Best thing you can do is ensure that your dogs are not within view when the doorbell rings. The warden has no powers to enter your home under any circumstances. Only a Garda can enter your home to seize the dog (with a warrant).

Looks like the wardens have been told to try and squeeze as much money as they can. What area is this, so others can be aware?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Thats ridiculous! Where are you based portgirl?

Can someone post link to the relevant part of the law please:)

im on the outskirts of tullamore

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That is totally and utterly... Words, there are none.

What a dog wears indoors is none of anyone's business.

What's worse is that I wouldn't mind if this was a 100-year-old statute, but it's only 12 years old. They make zero dog legislation for 20 years and then when they get the chance to actually bring us up to the same standards as the rest of the civilised world, they insert nonsense some about collars (and muzzles...grr..).

(Still seething here... Our wee dog loses every collar we have tried on her; neither of our dogs is ever outside the place and thankfully we are out in the boonies here)

We dare not put collars on our cats because of the risk; they are active tree climbers etc. And I have too much imagination... When we moved I bought tags etc .. But ......

• Advertisement

the muzzles are only public though are they not?

this country would even make the dogs want to emigrate:(
    I notice an address is required as per that section 6, i just have phone numbers on mine. I cannot see the amount of the fine though, or is that "discretionary"

my fine is €30 x 3

Nb just wondering.. not clear if the dogs were in the garden or in the house itself? If they were in the garden may be more of an issue? ie in public view kind of?

Dear Lord; am I glad that the old man down the road does not read this!!

in the house, it was feeding time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

The dog warden must be short of a few quid. :rolleyes: Why don't they fine the people who don't pick up their dog's poo or let their dog's run off lead without any control if they are looking to rack in money from fines. :mad: They should bring in mandatory microchipping anyways.

My dog wears a collar all the time, I just make sure there's nothing within jumping height he could get it caught on while outside. Would be interested in getting one of those quick release collars for him just in case though. Why is it that they are easily available for cats yet not dogs? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I'm sorry but that is BS. I would have told the warden to go stick it. And if he persued it I would go to court. It's about time people stood up to stupid law. He would be laughed out of court. Get legal advice.

in the house, it was feeding time

Thanks.. So the dogs were inside, and the *** walks down the garden path and bangs at your door? He knows you have dogs?

As others have said; tell him where to go and how to get there. I think, knowing councils etc, that they KNOW that he has exceeded his powers and are bluffing now. Trying to bamboozle you.

Citizen's info have free legal advice; get details online of times etc. A challenge will sort this out.

Petty Hitlers..

Advertisement