Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Factory Choice . . . Too good to be true???

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If you're expecting a package though and you read who the sender of the envelope is surely it would click that something isn't right. Granted I've never checked inside a box before signing but an envelope is a different story.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I'm pretty sure that when dealing with dodgy PayPal-powered companies you can open the parcel at point of delivery to verify receipt of goods prior to signing for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭yannakis

Does anyone have a phone number for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭yannakis

they managed to reply to my 4th email. it might have been a coincide that I gave them a 24 hour notice until I make a claim with PayPal :)

apparently they had dispatched the item but we're too busy to send a notice on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Terroriser

I ordered a water cooler for my PC about 8 days ago and was told it was a 3-5 day waiting period and no sign or contact made by the company to me from my emails to them. I am worried at this point as I have never dealt with an online company with such poor contact with customers and also no status update. Really not a good way to grow a business.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Just stumbled on this thread after seeing an amazing price on a TV I'm looking at. Seems to me you'd be wise to get straight on to paypal and let the know something is amiss. Get your money back or else maybe it will make them move faster and send your item.
    I wont be going anywhere near them!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It's a typical web based front for a number of similar types of Irish companies, sprawled accross multiple markets and industry. I helped set up a few for people before, and even worked in a company where we created one ourselves as it looked like a decent business model.

In essence you setup a website that is for all intensive purposes an Irish company, but acts as an "arm" for a large distributor, or larger company.

You never hold any stock yourself, and when you receive an order, that order routes to the central distributor. From there, the item is shipped direct to the customer. You receive a percentage of the sale price.

The benefit of this is you don't need a shop, or any storage fees, as you hold no stock. You just need a computer essentially, and a few other bits and legal pieces.

It's not exactly anything dodgy or fishy, but from experience its run by people with sometimes poor experience and knowledge of the sort of business model, and sometimes the products, and is just a method to make some handy income, or an alternative revenue stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

BloodBath wrote: »
    Why would you sign for an envelope when you're expecting a package of something?

The trick is to sign for it, but if it's one of those digital signature thingies they all have now you just put in brackets next your signature that you haven't checked it.
    I always do this went taking packages which amount to most of my builds.

So long as there's a record stating you didn't confirm the contents are what you expected you have a leg to stand on.
    That's the theory at least, thankfully never had to prove anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭slegs

It's called dropshipping

You create a wholesale account with the wholesaler in this case Pixmania Pro

They give you a daily feed of products and prices and images. You load these into your shopping cart software and add your margin.

When you make a sale you just go to pixmania pro and order the product with your customers shipping details

Anyone with Vat registration a web domain and a modicum of it knowledge could do it

All the products are shipped from pixmania so unless you are saving lots of money just buy from pixmania.ie as the returns policies will be more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Calmsurrender

I saw this site come up the listings of price spy.
    Was looking at some stuff but like others was disappointed about the vat and shipping costs. The stuff I wanted still working out cheaper tho.
    Shame to see its looking shady

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dub_Jim_Royle

Even apart from the Terroriser warning, and like a couple of people mentioned, if this is like a pixmania setup, you have to watch out for the SMART TVs which is how I came across them.

SMART TVs are region dependant also so apps like rte and BBC won't work as the TV originates in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BanjoKelly

I found Factory Choice on pricespy too and ordered a phone last week. The price shown on Pricespy didn't include the tax I had to pay on checkout, but it was still good enough to proceed. After hearing nothing back for 3 days after the order confirmation email I sent an email asking for information about delivery times but didn't get any reply. Then I did a search and found this thread. I also found they don't show a full physical address in their "about us" section and their company number quoted doesn't match their company name. I got worried but I knew I'd get the money back through PayPal if all else failed.

Anyway, long story short the phone arrived this morning through UPS from France. I never got a dispatch confirmation email like the site said they would send but the phone is good, new and sealed properly. It arrived within their 3 - 5 working day promise. In short, awful customer service causing needless anxiety but in this case anyway they delivered. I would not use them again just because of the lack of ability to get a reply from them to a basic query.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Ordered 4 items from this website....3 got delivered yesterday, one was missing. We signed for them, as obviously thought everything was there.

Has anyone else tried phoning these on the numbers in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Ordered a 3tb WD hard drive after seeing the price on pricespy.

Took over a week to arrive and when I opened up the box I see it's sealed in foil bag with 'WD RECERTIFIED HARD DRIVE' printed on it !?

So I'm guessing it a reconditioned hard drive which has me fuming, as it does not mention this on the item on their website.

Anyone know if I have any comeback via PayPal?
    I'm am usually super cautious and if I had if read this thread first would have stayed well clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jackdalad23

Just came across this thread. I ordered a tv for my son for Christmas last week. Pretty good deal. No sign of delivery today so I went onto their site and was suprised to see a live support chat. I said hi and waited to ask when I could expect delivery. After 5 mins the "support" chat went offline. Then I came across this thread and am really getting that sh***y feeling. I just tried to get back onto the site to see if the "support" chat was back online but the whole site is down now for "maintenance" !! Will keep ye posted if it gets delivered this week ....... or ever !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

Ordered a 3tb WD hard drive after seeing the price on pricespy.

Took over a week to arrive and when I opened up the box I see it's sealed in foil bag with 'WD RECERTIFIED HARD DRIVE' printed on it !?

So I'm guessing it a reconditioned hard drive which has me fuming, as it does not mention this on the item on their website.

Anyone know if I have any comeback via PayPal?
    I'm am usually super cautious and if I had if read this thread first would have stayed well clear.

All is not lost :D

Use paypal resolution process. Select 'Item not as described'. Send photo of item send vs item ordered.
    That should give you a refund from paypal or atleast another HDD which is not recertified.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

Just came across this thread. I ordered a tv for my son for Christmas last week. Pretty good deal. No sign of delivery today so I went onto their site and was suprised to see a live support chat. I said hi and waited to ask when I could expect delivery. After 5 mins the "support" chat went offline. Then I came across this thread and am really getting that sh***y feeling. I just tried to get back onto the site to see if the "support" chat was back online but the whole site is down now for "maintenance" !! Will keep ye posted if it gets delivered this week ....... or ever !!!

If you used paypal, dispute resolution is best bet :D

I keep ye updated

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Connaldinio

Hey like a few others as far as I can see, I was brought to Factory choice by price spy, said canon legria hf25 €629 but after shipping and tax it went up to €770 but still a good bit cheaper than any other site, so I decided to order it how ever the payment option for paypal and credit cards have been removed and now you can only order by bank-wire payment. I clicked on this to see would it give me any more options by it actually confirmed my order and the next page said once I wire the money to <name> my order will be sent..... All sounds a bit dodgy to me. What website asks you to wire them money?? Sounds like something you hear on Facebook when you get a pm from a very attractive looking young girl who just came upon your page and says she finds you very interesting and would like to get to know you... Oh and if you could just send her on all your details including bank acc no#.
    I'd be very interested to hear if those last few posters get the items they ordered

H guys. My TV finally came yesterday after 13 days. I emailed Factory Choice twice during this time about my concerns with my second email mentioning that I will be starting a paypal dispute to which I received no reply. I am happy my tv got here but the lack of customer service here is just shocking. I will be making contact again to let them know what I think of the company and will not be using them again. Dont care how cheap their stuff is , it just aint worth the heartache !!

• Advertisement

free_man wrote: »
    All is not lost :D

Use paypal resolution process. Select 'Item not as described'. Send photo of item send vs item ordered.
    That should give you a refund from paypal or atleast another HDD which is not recertified.

thanks you.

I have now opened up a dispute, but I have also tried to leave a review on their site under this item, but guess what?

Yes, it wont allow reviews to be stored yet it allows you to submit.
    Stay well away from these guys is my opinion.

update:
    OK my dispute is moving along and they (Factory Choice) have replied to my claim.
    Paypal say they will review it now and reply in time.

I just wish I had a screen print of the item on the site from time of purchase as I am guessing they might change the description now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nojih

I didn't see any bad reference on the pricespy site? is it similar story to factory-choice? I would post something there, but I need to recover my password to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jimmerz50

They had the best price for a NAS by a few bucks compared to Amazon.
    They accepted my order and and sent me bank account detail to put the cash in (no paypal option)
    I paid.
    About a week later they emailed me telling me I was to send my account details to get a refund
    I asked why?!
    they said they had no stock, and would I like to wait until more came in
    I told them to stuff it.
    They sent money back 9 days after original order (I didn't send my details again to them)
    Dont do it! Not Worth the hassel! For a few extra quid use someone reliable like Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 NavNavSull

Peeps, Use FactoryChoice last week to buy a Panasonic sound-bar. Cannot fault them at all. Contacted support before I purchased to see what the customer service was like and got a prompt and useful response. Bought the product then online and received all expected emails. I was also able to track the order online. It took 6 business days to deliver but that was fine for me.

So I can't fault them and there price and product are both great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 NavNavSull

Peeps, Used FactoryChoice last week to buy a Panasonic sound-bar. Cannot fault them at all. Contacted support before I purchased to see what the customer service was like and got a prompt and useful response. Bought the product then online and received all expected emails. I was also able to track the order online. It took 6 business days to deliver but that was fine for me.

So I can't fault them and there price and product are both great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

As you can see though from this thread you seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

Advertisement