Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Crapness of your Hometown

• 02-05-2012 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Navan, my hometown, is admittedly very crap.

Sometimes I walk through it and I believe Navan is a post-Soviet town. Grey buildings, it's raining all the time, overgrown gardens, roads filled with potholes, dilapidated apartments, rusting Celtic Tiger monuments, semi-complete building sites everywhere, rubbish scattered all over the place....

What about you guys? Feel free to speak of the crapness of your hometowns (I'm not exaggerating about mine :D).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Navan can't be that bad, it's a palindrome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

mine isnt crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Nobody can top Navan.

Sorry OP.

Out of all the hometowns and childhoods on boards.ie you had the worst.

Hard to take I'd imagine but it's time someone told you the truth. Out of all the places in Ireland that you could be from your parents picked the crappest to rear you in.

Tough break.

Soz. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yeah, Birmingham is.

Our tourist information centres just have a sign saying 'leave while you can'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Navan can't be that bad, it's a palindrome

But so is "A Dog! A panic in a pagoda!"

And a panic in a pagoda is pretty bad.

P.S why is this making me type everything underlined? wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

navan and portlaoise are like f**king new york compared to ballyhaunis, castlerea, ballaghaderreen or dunmore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Swords. There be no drag queens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Aquila wrote: »
    Portlaoise
    /thread.
    You win. What a horrible kip of a place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

I like Navan, It's a decent town for a few pints, we usually have the craic. Admittedly I don't live there but I'd be down fairly often.

navan and portlaoise are like f**king new york compared to ballyhaunis, castlerea, ballaghaderreen or dunmore

New York is a kip though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Navan even has its own micro-climate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Tralee is rapid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I doubt the towns mentioned have a patch on Dundalk or Drogheda.

Drogheda.

I was born there -_-

And it was a darker day ever since...
    Naval even has its own micro-climate?

It always seems to be raining, interrupted by bouts of cold sunshine perhaps. Not a micro-climate, just generic Irish weather.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Navan is not that bad. It has a lot of problems that towns that grew too fast during the celtic tiger/property bubble era have, but the Boyne and Blackwater river valleys are quite scenic, it's now bypassed and the town centre has a bit of character.

Tipperary town, on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

Ye clearly have not been to Longford

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

Have read a few posts,god bless yis,thank fcuk I'm from from inside the Dublin city limits.
    And to the poster from swords,lack of trannys is the least of it's problems,that place is a bona-fide hole.very clannish,thank god yis got a cinema out there,keeps the dcikheads out where they belong.Strangely a lot of hot chicks out there,that and the road to Dublin are the only good things to come out of it.

And before anyone gets on their high horse and comes galloping up to Dublin to give out,I won't apologize for anything said,it's a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Pfft, at least your hometown has pubs.

In Swaziland all we had was a clump of six houses and the threat of bush fires.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

For a navan man, you speak english well. I did a course up there and the whole place is full of dickheads, travellers and/or drug taking scum. Serious scumbag problem there, you'll know some of the people i'd be on about. It's a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

MaxSteele wrote: »
    I doubt the towns mentioned have a patch on Dundalk.
    Raises hand.

On the plus side, I've seldom ever been anywhere else I haven't wanted to be more. (I'm not even sure if that sentence makes sense).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blowitupref

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Drumree in Louth and Mountmellick in Laois are pretty dire. So is Monasterevin and Castledermot.

All are very isolated culturally and genetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TwoBirds

rossie1977 wrote: »

No offence to any natives, but I went to Dunmore with friends once for a party. The following morning, the four of us got up at the crack of dawn (literally), walked to the bus stop and stood there in the hailstones for over an hour, such was our desire to get out of the place.

For a navan man, you speak english well. I did a course up there and the whole place is full of dickheads, travellers and/or drug taking scum. Serious scumbag problem there, you'll know some of the people i'd be on about. It's a kip.

rofl

Most people in Navan can't speak English anyway, never mind speak it well

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭IdidIt

TwoBirds wrote: »
    No offence to any natives, but I went to Dunmore with friends once for a party. The following morning, the four of us got up at the crack of dawn (literally), walked to the bus stop and stood there in the hailstones for over an hour, such was our desire to get out of the place.

Poor Dawn, she didn't walk right for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Sindri wrote: »
    Drumree in Louth and Mountmellick in Laois are pretty dire. So is Monasterevin and Castledermot.

All are very isolated culturally and genetically.

Castledermot is a kip! I used to hate driving through it on my way home from college the traffic would be awful!

Carlow is also a bit of a kip.... in the past few years it has been over run with scumbags and knackers :mad:

Advertisement