Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rubberbandits get Channel 4 Pilot show

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭ObviouslyJesus

i thought their 15 seconds was well and truly over

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

i thought their 15 seconds was well and truly over

Not yet it would seem.

Hopefully they do a good job of it:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Mighty shtuff lads, well done. Going global but with a horse outside at least ye'll have transport.

is it just me or does anyone else find them painfully unfunny?
    when it comes to comedy,us micks just cant do it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Fair play to them, I watched the blaps series, some parts were painful but there were definitely some really funny parts too, he boys have it they do however need a bit of direction.

On the downside, their Limerick accents have been toned down to practically nothing but then I suppose I expected that in fairness, the Brits wouldn't be able to understand them. I will be watching. Atleast now they won't be censored by the eternal bores over RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Fair play to them, hope it goes well for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Relevant picture Rubberbandits%20LIT%200590056.png

Saw and met them the other night in Dolan's for a LIT thing. Was very entertaining and they even went to the trouble of drawing me a picture of 2pac playing charades with an albatross. Two very clever guys who know how to put on a show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

So they have been officially named (though how many people didn't actually know who they were?)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Me neither but they are making a good fist of it so fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

You don't have to like them to wish them well, for example I can't stand jedward but I recognise that they're making a nice bit of money for being annoying and acting like eejits and wish them well with it, I still won't watch them or give them any of my money but fair play for making money off those that will.

• Advertisement

source wrote: »
    You don't have to like them to wish them well, for example I can't stand jedward but I recognise that they're making a nice bit of money for being annoying and acting like eejits and wish them well with it, I still won't watch them or give them any of my money but fair play for making money off those that will.

so you're happy at eejits for making money whilst the rest of us worry about paying the gas bill or the new water or household charges. deary me

... when it comes to comedy,us micks just cant do it
    I'm disappointed that someone with such a wide appreciation of comedic talent seems, momentarily no doubt, to have forgotten those hilariously un-funny "micks" the likes of Tommy Tiernan, Dave Allen, Dara O'Brian, Dylan Moran, Ed Byrne, Chris O'Dowd, Pauline McLynn and the rest of the Father Ted crew, actors and writers. Nah, comedy is not our bag as you perceptively, if rather dismissively point out. We'll stick to whinging; you seem to providing leadership there bud, righ'?

so you're happy at eejits for making money whilst the rest of us worry about paying the gas bill or the new water or household charges. deary me

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=21

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Now whilst I do find the Rubberbandits a bit hit and miss and at times they tread in rip off territory imho, I think they are about as far removed from the likes of Jedward as they could be.

The RBs have shown themselves to have a degree of actual talent, and have worked hard to get to the stage where they are making a living out of what they do.

Jedward on the other hand are just talentless, and nowt more than a reflection of the Z list celebrity culture of nowadays. All you need do nowadays to be a "celeb" is get some time on a reality show or just keep calling yourself a musician/comedian/whatever you are trying to pretend to be until the label sticks.

Britain has had Z list no marks for years, and Ireland in it's role as a mini me to England is fast catching up in the nomark stakes. Lots of talentless nomarks of try to pretend they are somebodies.

But I think it would be harsh to put the RBs in with the talentless nomarks that Limerick and Ireland is building up at a fairly quick rate. Not always my cup of tea, but defo have talent.

Have you made any effort to come up with something that some people might enjoy and you would then make money out of it, or are you just complaining because someone is doing well for themselves?

As someone who is recently unemployed, with a mortgage and all the other bills that go with house ownership, yes, I am happy that they're making money. I wouldn't have half the balls or talent they do to go out and put myself out there to be put down. They're making money out of it and fair play to them.

You're post above just shows you as a begrudger, here's a translation of your post "oh wah wah, I've bills to pay that I can't afford, why should they make money and not me!!!" :rolleyes:

Seriously get over it, the rubberbandits are making something of themselves, and I say well done, they've worked hard at it for the last few years and it's working out for them.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Now whilst I do find the Rubberbandits a bit hit and miss and at times they tread in rip off territory imho, I think they are about as far removed from the likes of Jedward as they could be.

The RBs have shown themselves to have a degree of actual talent, and have worked hard to get to the stage where they are making a living out of what they do.

Jedward on the other hand are just talentless, and nowt more than a reflection of the Z list celebrity culture of nowadays. All you need do nowadays to be a "celeb" is get some time on a reality show or just keep calling yourself a musician/comedian/whatever you are trying to pretend to be until the label sticks.

Britain has had Z list no marks for years, and Ireland in it's role as a mini me to England is fast catching up in the nomark stakes. Lots of talentless nomarks of try to pretend they are somebodies.

But I think it would be harsh to put the RBs in with the talentless nomarks that Limerick and Ireland is building up at a fairly quick rate. Not always my cup of tea, but defo have talent.

That wasn't my point mate, what I was trying to say is while you may not like what the group does, it doesn't mean you have to put them down and begrudge their success, I was just using jedward as an example of a group I detest but still say fair play to them for making money at it.

Rufus Hound has just posted this about them on twitter
    I have spent some time over the last two days watching Rubberbandits videos on YouTube. Phenomenal

I don't find rufus hound in the least bit funny either :D

Roadend wrote: »
    I don't find rufus hound in the least bit funny either :D

Well that doesn't bother me.

My point is that he has over 500,000 followers on twitter and he has just praised them on that platform which bodes well for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TONY DAY

I just can't understand the mentality of people like the Jesus character above!! Ok fine he doesn't like them. They're not everybodys cup of tea fair enough.
    But to not wish them well is a bit strange. Bit of envy and begrudgery going on.
    This is a new venture for them and i really hope they can make a name for themselves over in England. I can see them losing a few fans and also gaining some new ones as well because there material will probably be a bit different to what we are used to.
    But, they're are two talented young men who seem to have their head on their shoulders so fair play to them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

not a fan of them myself at all really. But fair play to them. Anyone succeeding should be a good news story. Any other reaction is pure begrudgery tbh

My nephew knows one of the RubberBandits and says he's sound out, no celeb bs attached to him even since the CH4 thing broke. He seems to realise how fortunate they are to doing something they enjoy and bringing enjoyment to others while making a few quid. Well grounded lad & happy to get the opportunity.

That wasn't my point mate, what I was trying to say is while you may not like what the group does, it doesn't mean you have to put them down and begrudge their success, I was just using jedward as an example of a group I detest but still say fair play to them for making money at it.

I just despise talentless nomark "celebs" :D

Have no problem with anyone with genuine talent doing well regardless of whether I like everything they do or not, but the wannabes and no marks bug me. I see the no marks as a sign of the idiot generation that buy into not needing talent, not needing hard work, and who have "entitlement" attitudes.

Jedward are poster boys for that generation.

Actually that gives me a very good idea for a reality show.

Jedward Vs Kess: The houseparty

I get locked into a house with them for 24 hours. All the external doors and windows are blocked up. All the interior doors have locks and keys that can be used by those in the house.

If Jedward survive they win some prize.

Great idea for a show. We could even have special "guests" like the bauld Sniper dropped into the house, and the producers could play Mortal Kombat soundbytes when I get my hands on someone. :D

Could get the RBs as the show presenters or maybe have them as the play by play commentators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Fair play to the lads, they deserve it!

mathepac wrote: »
    I'm disappointed that someone with such a wide appreciation of comedic talent seems, momentarily no doubt, to have forgotten those hilariously un-funny "micks" the likes of Tommy Tiernan, Dave Allen, Dara O'Brian, Dylan Moran, Ed Byrne, Chris O'Dowd, Pauline McLynn and the rest of the Father Ted crew, actors and writers. Nah, comedy is not our bag as you perceptively, if rather dismissively point out. We'll stick to whinging; you seem to providing leadership there bud, righ'?

not one person you quoted there is funny. as for father ted, the most over-rated 'comedy' if there ever was one, the only thing it had going for it was the british talent that produced it.
    ''father jack said feck HAHAHAHAHAHAHA''

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

not one person you quoted there is funny. as for father ted, the most over-rated 'comedy' if there ever was one, the only thing it had going for it was the british talent that produced it.

GTFO-Meme-Rage-Face.png

I can see why someone called Jesus would not like Father Ted :D

But Father Ted is simply not up for debate. Ted rocks, and let that be an end to it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

mathepac wrote: »

Humour clearly isn't your thing I guess.

• Advertisement

humour is my thing though. i love a good comedy but im afraid the irish are unable to produce good stuff. the rte tried it with devastatingly embarrassing results.our stand ups are washed up not recognised on the international stage. i suppose people soon got tired of curse words in a culchie accent passing as comedy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement