Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Legalize Cannabis Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If its so cheap to grow why does it cost 300 for an ounce when you can get pollen or soapbar for a fraction of the cost and thats imported..i think
    It would be so cheap to grow it legally. The street price includes a huge profit margin for gangs. The street price could be much lower but industrially grown weed would be a fraction of that price again.

Pollen and soap bar are complete muck. At best one quarter of that brick of soap is actual hash. Proper hash is way more expensive than weed because it requires additional processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I don't give a **** whether or not it gets legalised. I'm still going to smoke it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

soapbar for a fraction of the cost and thats imported..i think

Used tractor tyres are cheap and make great filler when ground up.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lord of the Bongs

Im all for legalization of Cannabis, however a lot of people here seem to think that it is a simple, harmless plant. The fact is that at the moment the most used form of the drug in Ireland is home grown skunk, which is proven to be genetically enhanced to be more potent. I for one welcome this but not all people are affected the same way and even ordinary docile version of cannabis like hash can be shown to have impacted from various extremes depending on the user, some people can handle it others become addicts. Legalization of the drug though makes so much sense are all the positives outway the negatives.

hers is the current situation in Ireland -

1) its illegal
    2) its doesnt matter thats illegal users still get to use it
    3) the government doesnt make any money on it
    4) the government/taxpayers money is wasted trying to police it
    5) Criminals are profiting from it to the tune of billions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Kirby wrote: »
    This is one of the most annoying myths that is perpetuated constantly. The most of the same carcinogens from smoking tobacco come from smoking marijuana. It's not healthy and the idea that it has never killed anybody would be hilarious if it wasn't so tragic.

In my opinion, people can do what they like. I would even be for legalising cannabis as there are plenty of worse drugs which are legal.....so why not legalise it? There is plenty worse out there in the stores.

But please, stop spreading misinformation about cannabis being as harmless as kittens. It's wrong and it just gives the "no" side a stick to beat you with.

Smoking cannabis can be bad for you, albeit not as bad as smoking cigarettes. However, there are many other ways to consume it which are not bad for you.

But anyway, could you provide us with a few links of deaths that have directly been cause by cannabis consumption? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

mikom wrote: »
    Research like this that says the converse.........

I'm simply pointing out that it seems compared to other substances, a lot more has yet to be ascertained about cannabis and its affect on the body.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

emul8ter25 wrote: »
    So many haters here but with no real reason for it.

I think everyone can agree that cannabis is less harmful than alcohol, so whats the big problem?

Regulate it, tax it, whatever... thats all fine. Maybe we would see a few less heroine addicts around if it was legal.

What? We'd see more if anything, if the dealers can't sell soft drugs there just going to push the harder ones more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Keep it illegal and lets keep funding criminal enterprises. That's all prohibition achieves. Those of you against the decriminalization of cannabis are laughed at and fcuking loved by these people. You're keeping them in business and business is booming. So idiotic.

The only people keeping them in business are the people who give them money. Prohibition may create that environment but it's the buyer who hands them money of their own free will.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

1) its illegal
    2) its doesnt matter thats illegal users still get to use it
    3) the government doesnt make any money on it
    4) the government/taxpayers money is wasted trying to police it
    5) Criminals are profiting from it to the tune of billions

I know. And them billions could be taken out of the hands of criminal gangs and put into the education system or tax relief for low income families or drug awarness or or or....

And to those who bellieve in the 'gateway' effect (that is if you take Cannabis then you are bound to go on to harder drugs) i will just say this

In hollond where Cannabis is legal and regulated the chances of someone expermenting/ trying heroin is 1/1000. In ireland where cannabis is illegal the chances of taking heroin is 1/60.

Sea Filly wrote: »
    I'm simply pointing out that it seems compared to other substances,

Compared with what other substances......... soil.....water.... lint perhaps.

Are you disregarding the study I posted which modelled the effects on the prevalence of schizophrenia over the lifespan of cannabis from 1940 to 1979?

• Advertisement

tdv123 wrote: »
    What? We'd see more if anything, if the dealers can't sell soft drugs there just going to push the harder ones more.

Thats daft they are already pushing the drugs as hard as they can. If anything more of the criminals that push hard drugs would be caught as the guards would have more time to focus on them.

Believe it or not, the guards take a more lenient approach to cannabis dealers than towards heroin/cocaine dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Foxymona

There are arguments for and against this. It's difficult to draw a line really

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

Yeah but who would buy that when they could just pop into a shop and get what they want with no hassle?

Amsterdam does not have a large hard drug problem, certainly no worse than anywhere else, probably better, so that disproves your argument.

In hollond where Cannabis is legal and regulated the chances of someone expermenting/ trying heroin is 1/1000. In ireland where cannabis is illegal the chances of taking heroin is 1/60.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

Thank you.

In hollond where Cannabis is legal

Please stop posting this, as it is not true.
    It make the pro-cannabis points seem weak when untruths are posted.
    There are enough untruths already being posted by the prohibitionists.

emul8ter25 wrote: »
    Thank you.

No bother :)

Sea Filly wrote: »
    I'm simply pointing out that it seems compared to other substances, a lot more has yet to be ascertained about cannabis and its affect on the body.
    They've been desperately searching for something damning about cannabis for decades and can't pin anything serious down. So many people have been using cannabis for so long there would be very obvious negative effects showing up and we'd all know about them. Cannabis is one of the original drugs, we've been using it longer than just about any other drug bar the likes of mushrooms.

It's clear alcohol causes all kinds of problems, the problems with heroin and cocaine are clear and obvious. Cannabis, not so much.

mikom wrote: »
    Please stop posting this, as it is not true.
    It make the pro-cannabis points seem weak when untruths are posted.
    There are enough untruths already being posted by the prohibitionists.

Ok. i appologise. In hollond you are not allowed to possess more then 5 grams of cannabis in a public area or 30 grams in a private area. - For cultivation you may not exceed the amount of 5 plants.

This is a play on words. while it is not legal it still allows people to grow more than enough for themselves, keep a big amount in there home and carry a fair amound on there person without being able to be touched by the law.

So basicly they are just stoping people from growing massivie fields of cannibus and having a ton of the stuff in there homes. This i agree with. Controls have to be put in place.

Thats daft they are already pushing the drugs as hard as they can. If anything more of the criminals that push hard drugs would be caught as the guards would have more time to focus on them.

Believe it or not, the guards take a more lenient approach to cannabis dealers than towards heroin/cocaine dealers.

It dosen't matter how much time they have, they'll never be able to put them all away. By the time they've put one drug lord away five others will have popped up in his place. Like you said yourself the guards have become very lenient often turning a blind eye to cannabis use in recent times because harder drugs have become the main priority for them to focus on & but nothings changed. There's more junkies right now in the middle of Dublin city ceneter than I can ever remember.

More & more teenagres are turning to crime & at younger ages all the time. Thats not going to change if Cannabis is made legal, it's just means thats one thats one less drug gangsters have to sell.

I'm all for drug safety, but I think the pro-cannabis people are being a bit unrealistic in how much it's actually going to change things. More money from taxing it & safer cannabis use for the people who use it, thats it. That probably is a good enough reason legalise it, but please it's not going change peoples mentallity of using & selling illegal drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

ScumLord wrote: »
    They've been desperately searching for something damning about cannabis for decades and can't pin anything serious down.
    Serious issues:
    1. Loss in profit for vintners = Loss in pocket money for political parties

2. Difficult to take in much tax money off it as people can easily grow their own if tax is overdone

3. Joe Duffy phenomenon; people don't need information to form an opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

ScumLord wrote: »
    They've been desperately searching for something damning about cannabis for decades and can't pin anything serious down. So many people have been using cannabis for so long there would be very obvious negative effects showing up and we'd all know about them. Cannabis is one of the original drugs, we've been using it longer than just about any other drug bar the likes of mushrooms.

It's clear alcohol causes all kinds of problems, the problems with heroin and cocaine are clear and obvious. Cannabis, not so much.

The difference is that alcohol has been in widespread use for a long time. If cannabis were legalised and became as commonly used as alcohol it would be naive to assume that it wouldn't eventually be linked to more illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Not the harmless little drug people make it out to be but have'n said that I think it could be legalized only if there are strict sale regulations.

Such laws I'd like to see are:

- 25+
    - Must not have any children under 16
    - Must have proof of income
    - Huge tax

I know the arguement is that it's no worst than alcohol but do we really want another thing so bad rift in society?

Some people can haddle their cannibis addiction and live normal lives but for everyone of them there are probably 10 others who spend half their dole on it every week not to mention the strong links cannibis has to depression.

So in conclusion I wouldnt like to see cannibis legalized but I think it could be legalized under strict regulations.

MagicSean wrote: »
    The difference is that alcohol has been in widespread use for a long time.
    So has cannabis, it's widespread use only stopped after prohibition. Cannabis has been used for longer than alcohol and by more people. So that argument is pure nonsense.

If cannabis were legalised and became as commonly used as alcohol it would be naive to assume that it wouldn't eventually be linked to more illnesses.
    It's use is already widespread it's just underground. Cannabis also won't suit everybody. It's a completely different high from alcohol, there's no reason to think it's widespread use would have any resemblance to widespread alcohol use.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The difference is that alcohol has been in widespread use for a long time. If cannabis were legalised and became as commonly used as alcohol it would be naive to assume that it wouldn't eventually be linked to more illnesses.

I'm not so sure about that, lots of people smoke ...there are effects alright but not as bad a drink. The only bad effects of canabis I can see is the user appearing slightly out there and thinking differently from the mainstream. Combine that with lack of motivation and the user may find their career stalling a bit. It may also lead to poor diet which causes issues for the user.

There nice statistics. But I think that has more to do with the mentality of the people & not drug laws.

Cannabis is just as good as legal in California, anyone can just walk into one of these medical Cannabis places complain about a headache or flu & walk out with a couple of grams of cannabis. Overall drug use over there is higher than it's ever been. Maybe they've clamped down on it a bit now I'm not sure but when I was over there about 3 years ago the amount of drugs I was offered over in one nite club over there was crazy I've never seen so many drugs & so many different types of drugs than when I was over there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Can anyone help me here, I've been looking for a patch which isn't too high in altitude, is surrounded by forest tree's for protection from wind / rain.

is on public land but extremely private, close to a river but where nobody would trek.

I am planning on planting a massive crop of "tomatoes" next season around mid to late Feb early March.

Myself and a bunch of 5 mates plan on finding a patch somewhere ( we are looking into powerscourt waterfall / powerscourt garden area's and ticknock but ticknock is very public, powerscourt gardens I think could be perfect.

we plan on growing anywhere from 100 - 200 "tomato" plants on this patch.

So if anyone knows of any land that matches the description above where I can sow a crop of "tomatoes" that would be awesome

thnx

There nice statistics. But I think that has more to do with the mentality of the people & not drug laws.

Cannabis is just as good as legal in California, anyone can just walk into one of these medical Cannabis places complain about a headache or flu & walk out with a couple of grams of cannabis.
    No they can't, they have to go to a doctor and get a prescription that allows them to buy from dispensaries. It's supposedly easy enough to get a doctor to prescribe it but you can't simply walk in off the street and buy weed.

Overall drug use over there is higher than it's ever been. Maybe they've clamped down on it a bit now I'm not sure but when I was over there about 3 years ago the amount of drugs I was offered over in one nite club over there was crazy I've never seen so many drugs & so many different types of drugs than when I was over there.
    America practically invented modern recreational drug use, they certainly popularised it. They also have the global positioning, money, local knowledge and opportunity to easily import and manufacture drugs. It's not surprising they have lots of drugs on offer.

Cannabis has been in use for far longer than alcohol........ to think otherwise would be naive.
    Stiffler2 wrote: »

I am planning on planting a massive crop of "tomatoes" next season around mid to late Feb early March.

Too early.
    That's all you're getting...

• Advertisement

It dosen't matter how much time they have, they'll never be able to put them all away. By the time they've put one drug lord away five others will have popped up in his place. Like you said yourself the guards have become very lenient often turning a blind eye to cannabis use in recent times because harder drugs have become the main priority for them to focus on & but nothings changed. There's more junkies right now in the middle of Dublin city ceneter than I can ever remember.

More & more teenagres are turning to crime & at younger ages all the time. Thats not going to change if Cannabis is made legal, it's just means thats one thats one less drug gangsters have to sell.

I'm all for drug safety, but I think the pro-cannabis people are being a bit unrealistic in how much it's actually going to change things. More money from taxing it & safer cannabis use for the people who use it, thats it. That probably is a good enough reason legalise it, but please it's not going change peoples mentallity of using & selling illegal drugs.

Guards are intentionally lenient towards cannabis dealers was my point, as they themselves dont consider it as bad as someone involved in supplying harder drugs. Not all dealers sell different variety of drugs because of this as they know cops will come down harder on them. Peer pressure is much more of a factor in drug usage among young people as opposed to drug dealers 'pushing drugs' onto them. If young people were taught to avoid drugs and drink till a more adult age then that would be a major shift in the culture of drink and drug usage. I maybe wrong but the prison penalty is the same for selling drugs, whatever they maybe?

Advertisement