Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"God is always faithful to his promises, but he often surprises us "

• 24-12-2010 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

The birth of Christ shows how God keeps his promises but often surprises us by how he fulfils them, Pope Benedict said.

He told listeners: “Our thoughts turn back to a moment in history when God’s chosen people, the children of Israel, were waiting in intense expectation. They were waiting for the Messiah that God had promised to send.”

“He did bring liberation, but not only for the people in that time and place,” said the Pope. Christ destroyed death forever “by means of his shameful death on the cross”, he added.

What planet is this deluded ****wit living on.

What type of moron will be sat in a building over the next couple of days listening to indoctrinated hyberbole from the ex nazi leader of the worlds biggest paedophile club.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1224/breaking6.html

Terry Sanderson, president of the National Secular Society, attacked the BBC for allowing the Pope to deliver the Thought for the Day.
    “The BBC is giving the Pope an unquestioned slot to continue whitewashing his Church’s disgraceful record on covering up child abuse by its priests,” he said.
    “Why isn’t the Pope being subjected to the same rigorous questioning that other heads of state would get?”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

That would be an ecumenical matter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

If the choice is between love and this sort of uninformed hate I know which one I'll be choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Whatever about the stuff he talks about, this bringing up of the Hitler Youth is annoying. He had no choice.

Also the people who will listen to the message are followers of the church. You don't have to bother if you don't wish. What's your issue OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I see the trolling has begun! Although I disagree with the Pope on much, I think he's spot on on this.

Merry Christmas OP, and a Happy New Year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

dcmraad wrote: »

He told listeners: “Our thoughts turn back to a moment in history when God’s chosen people, the children of Israel, were waiting in intense expectation.......
    ......stroking their M4A1 assault rifle as the floatilla approached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Glenster wrote: »
    If the choice is between love and this sort of uninformed hate I know which one I'll be choosing.

I hope its uninformed hate...you want no part of the love the church dishes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It's easy to keep all your promises if no-one knows what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The Hitler Youth was only really Scouts with Swastikas, leave that poor old sod Benny alone:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The birth of Christ shows how God keeps his promises but often surprises us by how he fulfils them, Pope Benedict said.

He told listeners: “Our thoughts turn back to a moment in history when God’s chosen people, the children of Israel, were waiting in intense expectation. They were waiting for the Messiah that God had promised to send.”

“He did bring liberation, but not only for the people in that time and place,” said the Pope. Christ destroyed death forever “by means of his shameful death on the cross”, he added.

What planet is this deluded ****wit living on.

What type of moron will be sat in a building over the next couple of days listening to indoctrinated hyberbole from the ex nazi leader of the worlds biggest paedophile club.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1224/breaking6.html

Terry Sanderson, president of the National Secular Society, attacked the BBC for allowing the Pope to deliver the Thought for the Day.
    “The BBC is giving the Pope an unquestioned slot to continue whitewashing his Church’s disgraceful record on covering up child abuse by its priests,” he said.
    “Why isn’t the Pope being subjected to the same rigorous questioning that other heads of state would get?”

The first scrooge thread (probably not)

Are the thousands of church and religion bashing threads throughout the year not enough to keep you going.

It's all becoming rather boring.

Besides, seeing as you have spoken about the pope is such disparaging terms one can only presume that you are all knowing or at least more informed on the existence of god than the rest of us and wouldnt need to resort to pettiness and vulgar displays of your own narrow mindedness and bigotry.

We all know about Paedophile priests. WE GET THE MESSAGE but can you not leave christians (and everyone who enjoys the christmas) alone for one day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

dsmythy wrote: »
    Whatever about the stuff he talks about, this bringing up of the Hitler Youth is annoying. He had no choice.

Bullshìt, you always have a choice. Didn't god bless everyone with free will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

right on op

this **** gets on my wick too

happy birthday jebus!!

ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha me hole

TheZohan wrote: »
    Bullshìt, you always have a choice. Didn't god bless everyone with free will.

While there may have been "free will", the simple fact is that most Germans at the time either willingly voted for Hitler or were coerced into stepping into line so to speak.

Do you think he gassed 6 million jews (amongst other) and started a world war for the craic. That's the "free will" we're talking about. It simply didnt exist as we know it today.

Elevator wrote: »
    right on op

this **** gets on my wick too

happy birthday jebus!!

ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha me hole

Do you "participate" in the festivities for want of a better expression?

orourkeda wrote: »
    While there may have been "free will", the simple fact is that most Germans at the time either willingly voted for Hitler or were coerced into stepping into line so to speak.

Do you think he gassed 6 million jews (amongst other) and started a world war for the craic. That's the "free will" we're talking about. It simply didnt exist as we know it today.

I'm sick and tired of apologists for that sleazy bastard to be perfectly honest. He covered up child abuse and whether you like it or not was part of Hitler Youth. If anyone asked me to partake in such activities I'd tell them to go fùck themselves and suffer the consequences, and I am far from a holy man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dcmraad

Was he a Nazi, yes he was, end of discussion.
    Also the people who will listen to the message are followers of the church. You don't have to bother if you don't wish. What's your issue OP?

How can people follow the insane lies of a Nazi dictator.

This man has known for years about the child raping, child murdering, and everything else horrific that HIS organisation is responsible for.

Yet people are still dumb enough to support them and believe him.

How can he be trusted

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

We all know about Paedophile priests. WE GET THE MESSAGE but can you not leave christians (and everyone who enjoys the christmas) alone for one day

Can you people not leave christmas non religious for a day? It ruins it for us non believers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

Do you "participate" in the festivities for want of a better expression?

participate how? it's a normal day, one of 7 in the week! a time of unbelievable bull**** and stress!

so in answer to your question no I won't be participating in the "festivities" this year

save me jebus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jakkass wrote: »
    I see the trolling has begun! Although I disagree with the Pope on much, I think he's spot on on this.

Merry Christmas OP, and a Happy New Year.

Why does every christian poster on here think anything criticising christianity is trolling? its the reason i got myself permabanned from the christianity forum as i couldnt put up with the mods anymore

How can people follow the insane lies of a Nazi dictator.

This man has known for years about the child raping, child murdering, and everything else horrific that HIS organisation is responsible for.

Yet people are still dumb enough to support them and believe him.

How can he be trusted

Christianity isn't the Pope's any more than it is mine, or that of any other Christian. Does the Pope have the right to speak on it, of course, just as much as the Archbishop of Canterbury, or Rick Warren have the right to speak on it.

As for getting fussed about Christian beliefs, that's up for you. All that seems evident to me is that Jesus' arrival into the world irreversibly changed it. The wider implications of Jesus coming into the world as Saviour are worthy of remembering.

If you or others don't believe, that's your choice. For those who do Christmas goes on as usual, a celebration of Christ's Lordship.

I'm sick and tired of apologists for that sleazy bastard to be perfectly honest. He covered up child abuse and whether you like it or not was part of Hitler Youth. If anyone asked me to partake in such activities I'd tell them to go fùck themselves and suffer the consequences, and I am far from a holy man.

Firstly, please point out where anyone has apologised in this thread for "that sleazy bastard" (your words).

We know about the whole child abuse situation. WE GET IT. You certainly won't find me or anyone else in this thread apolosing for or excusing this behaviour.

Threads like this have been done to death and is now about as much use as flogging a dead donkey. There'll be nothing new in this thread.

If you don't like what the catholic church stands for, then it would be hypocritical to participate in it's festivals or ceremonies. For those people who do believe in what the catholic church preaches thw can't we just leave them be.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Can you people not leave christmas non religious for a day? It ruins it for us non believers.

I think you must be expecting a miracle.

Elevator wrote: »
    participate how? it's a normal day, one of 7 in the week! a time of unbelievable bull**** and stress!

so in answer to your question no I won't be participating in the "festivities" this year

save me jebus!!

So are you going to lay off those who do or will you try to unnecessarily antagonise them simply because they believe in something you don't

Turtyturd wrote: »

Yes. Don't do anything. Just suit yourself.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think you must be expecting a miracle.

They probably don't believe in miracles either.

If you don't like what the catholic church stands for, then it would be hypocritical to participate in it's festivals or ceremonies. For those people who do believe in what the catholic church preaches thw can't we just leave them be.

I have a problem with the pope, the catholic church do a lot of good and have the potential to do a lot more good, however I believe that Benedict should be removed and himself and anyone else that was responsible for the cover up etc. should be held accountable so that credibility can be restored to the organisation.

I have a problem with the pope, the catholic church do a lot of good and have the potential to do a lot more good, however I believe that Benedict should be removed and himself and anyone else that was responsible for the cover up etc. should be held accountable so that credibility can be restored to the organisation.

What's wrong with the substance of what he's actually said in this case though? (I'm not defending the Pope for being a member of Hitler Youth or for the child abuse crisis)

Yes, child abuse is abhorrent, but the OP seems to have a problem with claims which are central to the Christian faith. Not with the Pope per sé as an individual (He might have those as well). If anyone was quoted saying this, the OP would say it was stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

So are you going to lay off those who do or will you try to unnecessarily antagonise them simply because they believe in something you don't

The church's cover up of child abuse goes right to the very top including the Pope himself. If by saying "simply because they believe in something you don't", you mean believe in covering up child abuse, then I say antagonise away...

I just can't understand that after all of the revelations about the catholic church in the last 20 years, that people still support and are a part of such a disgusting organisation.

Anyway, Happy Holidays!

Given that there are probably a lot more people actually celebrating Christmas, than aren't, the latter should keep their hatred to themselves until it's all over. Turn that frown upside down, oh miserable ones.

Jakkass wrote: »
    What's wrong with the substance of what he's actually said in this case though? (I'm not defending the Pope for being a member of Hitler Youth or for the child abuse crisis)

Yes, child abuse is abhorrent, but the OP seems to have a problem with claims which are central to the Christian faith. Not with the Pope per sé as an individual (He might have those as well). If anyone was quoted saying this, the OP would say it was stupid.

I was simply replying to someone that stated that the pope had no choice regarding joining Hitler Youth, that is simply untrue.

Additionally I think you'll find that the OPs main problem is with the pope and not Christianity.

• Advertisement

I was simply replying to someone that stated that the pope had no choice regarding joining Hitler Youth, that is simply untrue.

Additionally I think you'll find that the OPs main problem is with the pope and not Christianity.

I don't know. The main quotes the OP have selected are generic Christian statements of belief.

1. The people of Israel were expecting their Messiah to arrive.
    2. Jesus according to Christians did bring liberation, liberation from the slavery to sin.
    3. By dying in our place, Jesus destroyed perpetual death on the cross. We might be saved and be re-united with God.

The vast majority of Christians could agree with these three statements.

On quoting these the OP states:
    "What planet is this deluded ****wit living on."

Can't we not enjoy Christmas without a given atheist going on an absolute bender about it? Title should have been "Pope gives generic Christian greeting on the BBC for Christmas".

Advertisement