Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Midnight screening in my local cinema on Thursday. Awesome. Heading up after work to get tickets. Can't bloody wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I dont know whether to see it in 3D first then see the 2D to compare or the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

2D times now available for booking at Movies@Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Reactions from today's screening in France are coming in, very mixed feelings.

Though, they are French :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Mixed reviews from the french screening.
    Dig through this thread for Google Translations
    http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=43724.0
    We were expecting very strong Prometheus, the new Ridley Scott film, which serves more or less prequel to Alien. But the first press screening held on Monday in Paris did not make everyone happy (read below) ... Film critics and bloggers who were invited have generally found Prometheus pretty average and all this does not reassure us, but not at all on the film quality.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

First full review, 4 stars
    http://www.ecranlarge.com/movie_review-read-24513-157891.php
    Project will rarely spilled much ink, raised so many hopes, raised as many fears. Prometheus, a time called Paradise, was to be a prequel to Alien, the eighth passenger, before becoming an independent film, only to anhedral connected by a "common DNA", then the initiator of an autonomous saga. We did not know what to expect, or even whether it was reasonable to place much hope in this hybrid creation, an outgrowth of cult saga in which its creator intended to return. How to find the inventiveness, intelligence and wealth of a work still matrix for an entire segment of contemporary cinema? The answer is manifold, but anyway, take a deep breath, relax, because Prometheus is an excellent film, although as it stands, it seems to have almost as much as Blade Runner Alien.

As the web and the clipboard will logically be ignited between pros and antis, supporters and defenders of the original film of its new iteration, it is worth recalling an essential, at a time when science fiction has suffered Digital scribbles by John Carter or the last Star Wars: Prometheus is magnificent. The film never fails to pay in excess of realism to the Sunshine or the fantastic own maniacal George Lucas. Performance, given the number of creatures and spooky decorations that dot the film. The latter is a rare elegance, and can play his illustrious parentage without the recycle stupidly. Clearly, Scott remembered what made his glory, and tried to give back to its staging some of his pedigree. The most careful design, through a cutting fluid and classy, ​​who knows how heavily loaded with real locations for a tenfold impact, the film is a true piece of art, which our eyes never tire.

There was concern in view of the recent trailers and promotional clips that the movie does layer structure on that of Alien, and left us with a body count that we would know in advance the outcome. Certainly, the parallels are many and obvious, however, is in the registry that Prometheus thematic surprises and / or reassurance. Much more than the feeling of fear is a thought that comes to extend the Blade Runner that we find here. For if Michael Fassbender steals the show from the early impeccable Noomi Rapace, not only because of his flawless playing and his ability to engender fear in the viewer with a simple shrug of an eye, but in this he just prolong the fascinating character of Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) antagonist of the memorable Harrison Ford in adapting the novel by Philip K. Dick. While Batty struggling to meet its creator, and destroyed with rage upon discovering that it was not the omnipotent Almighty he had expected, the android David has passed that stage, it is understood almost instantly, it a machine is well aware of the limits of its creators, and participates in the mission Prometheus in the hope of finally facing a superior entity, able to provide answers that its manufacturers do not have. Do not we say that talent skips a generation? This issue could be the subtitle of the film, as she is also the engine. We may regret that Scott does not explore this issue thoroughly (reserving probably a hypothetical second album), but it illuminates an entire meaning and depth that we could detect in previous androids the company Weyland.

The only real complaint that can be done at Prometheus takes his characters, too functional. Indeed, except for two brilliant Rapace and Fassbender, the rest of the cast simply purely mechanical roles, all well understood, but whose identification or empathy are more weaklings. This is perhaps the limits of a script that had too much to do in such short duration (less than two hours), and threw all his strength in battle without a thank you with our a priori, fantasies and memories magnified. We are not in fact take away from the idea that some essential sequences have been deleted, just between the characters, who have allowed their relationship to be completely embodied.

Prometheus is not a sequel, a reboot, or a rehash of Alien, there is another film, the promise of an exciting new saga, and it seems a rich bestiary no less terrifying, that we long to discover further. Signs of this undeniable success? New unanswered questions, questions that we already inflamed the spirit (but good god what is that this fresco? And this fall with the thing green? The wonderful introduction tells us she a act of rebellion or the first part of a plan gone awry?), and essentially a quality film, one to close the film on its image the most beautiful and exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Sounds encouraging, roll on Thursday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I just accidently spoiled a key aspect of the film on myself because some chap on the Prometheus forums doesn't know how to use spoiler tags. For. ****. Sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I just accidently spoiled a key aspect of the film on myself because some chap on the Prometheus forums doesn't know how to use spoiler tags. For. ****. Sake.

we're down to the major leaks time now, avoid imdb and other forums at all cost, only a few more days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

krudler wrote: »
    we're down to the major leaks time now, avoid imdb and other forums at all cost, only a few more days!

Right enough. 4 more days. If you don't want it spoiled for you, don't go looking for spoilers. Bring on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

*Unsubs from thread until next week*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Colmo52 wrote: »
    *Unsubs from thread until next week*

*unsubs from the Internet until next week* :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

C'mon, it's your own fault! What do you expect at this stage? The first reviews are here now.

Why don't you stop reading all Prometheus threads and news if you don't want to know anything.

Yeah, I skimmed that review, film is quality, that's all I needed to know.

Next step ...cinema, oh yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It was a review thread, I should be able to read reviews without having to worry about major spoilers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ChtuluDawn

Ive deliberately avoided reviews of this because I dont want my perception being skewed when I go see it and to just take it as I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I rarely get excited about films but having seen the orginal alien film as a kids the space jockey always fascinated me. This is getting me through the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Please give me the strength to avoid reading anymore about this film, its so fricken hard at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar

Any cinema in Dublin doing a midnight wednesday/thursday screening?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Elessar wrote: »
    Any cinema in Dublin doing a midnight wednesday/thursday screening?

Cineworld and Vue are doing midnight showings on Thursday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Going to the 6pm showing on Friday, can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just booked into a Friday afternoon showing in Dun Laoghaire.......I think i'm the only person so far to do this as there were no seats taken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

krudler wrote: »
    oooh, the new cinema in Limerick is doing a midnight showing Thursday night, tempted

I gave in. Ticket booked. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Anyone watch the Sky special on Promethus? There were some scenes best avoided as I cannot recall seeing them some scenes. Still very excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I've just discovered that this isn't out in Spain until August 10. How the fuñk am I supposed to avoid spoilers and reviews for 2 months? I think the safest course of action is to stay out of this forum and permanently drunk on Alhambra 1925 beer until then. Enjoy the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Do ye think it would be worth seeing the 3D version of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

martyoo wrote: »
    Do ye think it would be worth seeing the 3D version of this?

I'd pay extra for 2D, as with any movie.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've just discovered that this isn't out in Spain until August 10. How the fuñk am I supposed to avoid spoilers and reviews for 2 months? I think the safest course of action is to stay out of this forum and permanently drunk on Alhambra 1925 beer until then. Enjoy the show

Drive to Portugal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

2months:eek:....I am gonna be in America for the release over there and the cinema acros from the hotel has I-Max so am going to hold on until then, the thought of an extra week is bad enough never mind two months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

2-3 days to go and still no review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Theres a positive review on Rotten Tomatoes!! Just read the heading though as it contains spoilers i think!

Advertisement