Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3G/HSPA Routers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I know the Tp-Link 3220 and 3240 support alot of 3g modems but what about the TP-Link TL-WR703N ,is that any good ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Zardoz wrote: »
    I know the Tp-Link 3220 and 3240 support alot of 3g modems but what about the TP-Link TL-WR703N ,is that any good ?

The TL-WR703N is a wireless extender and as such doesn't support any 3G device directly.

Looks a handy enough device though http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR702N-Wireless-Extender-Set-top/ .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Zardoz

The TL-WR703N is a wireless extender and as such doesn't support any 3G device directly.

Looks a handy enough device though http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR702N-Wireless-Extender-Set-top/ .

You are thinking of the 702 I'd say.
    The 703 does support 3G ,it has a usb port for a 3G modem.

http://dx.com/p/tp-link-tl-wr703n-mini-3g-2-4ghz-802-11b-g-n-150mbps-wireless-router-blue-158552

As far as I can tell TP-Link don't do a wr703n only a wr702n? It looks to me that the 3G wr703n is a chinese knock off because I can find no mention of it on TP-Links own website? Nearst 3G device is a TL-MR3020

OK so have plenty of info on the wr703n http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n/pcb but still nothing on any of TP-Links websites?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Feckless Rogue

Wonder if anyone could help/provide advice:

My parents are on a crappy satellite connection with high latency/low caps/variable quality.

They are in a valley near Dublin which is a bit of a black spot when it comes to mobile reception; it's there but extremely spotty.

I'm looking at going for a dongle with an external antenna, something like a Huweai E5332 or E3131. Not really sure what kind of power rating the antenna should have or what the hell I'm doing really.

Also, can anyone recommend a decent data only plan/SIM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

jenno86 - Don't see that dongle listed although not sure how current TP-Link's compatibility list is. Don't know if you can get access to a router to check it out.

I use that router with a E3131 which, although not listed, works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭huntsman77

Hi guys looking for advice I have a huawei e586 with three network when I have it on a window downstairs the signal is very poor but when I put it on a certain window upstairs the signal gets about 3 times better but then doesn't send signal downstairs to where I want to use WiFi I rang three cause heard about some web cube the had which its no longer available . just wondering what's best way to fix this is there a router that huawei connects 2 something easy enough set up

lucky escape there huntsman77 imo the web cube was a piece of crap.

The range on the MiFi devices isn't very good so you can either get a WiFi extender, simple solution but a little too quick and dirty for my liking, a WiFi access point wired from upstairs to downststiars (via home plugs) or one of the many other solutions found in the Remote 3G Installation thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭huntsman77

Thanks glass key I'll have a look in that thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 comeonthebann

Hi Folks,
    Again looking at the Dongle from Meteor Huwaei E3272 and I have an existing Eircom Router (D1000) with a USB slot, are these compatible

In the £G backup page of the router confiuration it request a dial String and APN what value do I put in for these ???

Regards

Hi Folks,
    Again looking at the Dongle from Meteor Huwaei E3272 and I have an existing Eircom Router (D1000) with a USB slot, are these compatible

In the £G backup page of the router confiuration it request a dial String and APN what value do I put in for these ???

Regards

Dial string in Ireland is always *99#

APN is broadband.mymeteor.ie (not used in in a while so double check)

no username or password used.

Unfortunately the Eircom router did not pick up the meteor 4G dongle. Could anybody recommend a dongle, router and antenna combination that would be suitable for Meteor.

Help Appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Unfortunately the Eircom router did not pick up the meteor 4G dongle. Could anybody recommend a dongle, router and antenna combination that would be suitable for Meteor.

Help Appreciated.

Just to jump on here, I need a router that will work with a 4g dongle.

Thanks in advance!

I wish someone would post a working combination!

All I can find atm are 3g/4g routers where that take the SIM card directly and don't use a dongle http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/work/wireless-mobile-broadband/dwr-921-4g-lte-router as an example. Amazon should have it soon http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DWR-921-B-LTE-Router/dp/B00BN36NMM/ but a €200 solution is way outside what I'd want to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

The Huawei 3 ones have here for about 100 work with just a sim, which I used to use that accept the sim with no dongle... They're fine really once you get a decent signal indoors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Have been using the E3131 with a TP Link MR3220 , Its been ok lots of reboots needed though ,

I will pick up a Meteor 4G stick on Monday ,
    In prep I have changed the the MR3220 from 3G Only to WAN only and introduced a XP Netbook with Internet Connection Sharing and it works fine , This will do until a cheap 4G Router appears.

jenno86 wrote: »
    Just to jump on here, I need a router that will work with a 4g dongle.

Thanks in advance!

Picked up router maplin one network port USB and supported 4G dongle. needed to update firmware now need to find attenta for dongle to improve signal

galait wrote: »
    Have been using the E3131 with a TP Link MR3220 , Its been ok lots of reboots needed though ,

I will pick up a Meteor 4G stick on Monday ,
    In prep I have changed the the MR3220 from 3G Only to WAN only and introduced a XP Netbook with Internet Connection Sharing and it works fine , This will do until a cheap 4G Router appears.

I have been using a XP Netbook with 4G dongle and Internet Connection Sharing and the XP netbook is connected to the WAN Port of the TP Link MR220 Router and it has been flawless - getting 2 bars of 4g coverage and 5mb eachway with pings around 40ms -

Just been on the comreg siteviewer to see my local meteor mast is now LTE and wondering did anybody have any luck with the E3272 on the MR3420.

A quick google brought me up this clip showing the two running together http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWEUANQ95o8

• Advertisement

THE ALM wrote: »
    Just been on the comreg siteviewer to see my local meteor mast is now LTE and wondering did anybody have any luck with the E3272 on the MR3420.

A quick google brought me up this clip showing the two running together http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWEUANQ95o8

I have the MR220 and no joy , The speed increase with the mimo antenna peaked my interest !!

galait wrote: »
    I have the MR220 and no joy , The speed increase with the mimo antenna peaked my interest !!

Anything to eek out a bit extra.

Will see if I can get a hold of an E3272 to test out as I know some of these routers can be a bit hit and miss. I know some people can't run the E3131 on the MR3420 although it has never given me any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tomangos

I have a MR4320 router been delivered on Monday. I will get my hands on the E3272 dongle and test it with the MR4320. I'll keep you posted next week on how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ryan.rt94

Hi,
    Sorry to stir up an old thread. I have a huawei 5220 modem with 3. Can I use the usb port on eircom d1000 modem to plug plug in th e5220 and have the eircom modem act as the main router using the 3g connection? If not can anyone suggest a cheap router that works with e5220? I am very interested in tp link mr3220. http://www.expansys.ie/tp-link-tl-mr3220-wireless-router-3g-wan-wifi-11n-150mbps-234007/ Has anyone got this combination working? The e5220 is not on the tp link compatibility list, but apparently that doesn't mean it wont work.

Hi.
    The MR4320 Router I recieved was the old version I have sent it back as I purchased version 2. This is been dispatched. I also signed up for the 4G e3272 dongle with meteor and asked to be put on the 4G plan. The attendant never activated my account for 4G so I had to get in contact with Meteor directly this change now wont come into affect until the end of the month. It seems like im running into a brick wall at every turn.
    I'll keep you posted on any developments

tomangos wrote: »
    Hi.
    The MR4320 Router I recieved was the old version I have sent it back as I purchased version 2. This is been dispatched. I also signed up for the 4G e3272 dongle with meteor and asked to be put on the 4G plan. The attendant never activated my account for 4G so I had to get in contact with Meteor directly this change now wont come into affect until the end of the month. It seems like im running into a brick wall at every turn.
    I'll keep you posted on any developments

fyi I have what I think is the latest MR4320 and it is marked as v2.2 and came with all the latest firmware. I checked online and there were no newer version updates for the firmware.

fyi I have what I think is the latest MR4320 and it is marked as v2.2 and came with all the latest firmware. I checked online and there were no newer version updates for the firmware.

The model I got was the old model v1.2 its only for 3g/3.75g. I bought the 3g/4g model but I recieved the 3/3.75 g.

tomangos wrote: »
    The model I got was the old model v1.2 its only for 3g/3.75g. I bought the 3g/4g model but I recieved the 3/3.75 g.

Thatss quite common I was half expecting to get the wrong one when I bought mine recently from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Would the Huawei E392 work on the Irish networks? Is it any good?

• Advertisement

Kalyke wrote: »
    Would the Huawei E392 work on the Irish networks? Is it any good?

I think, looking at the specs for that - http://www.huaweidevice.co.uk/images/files/HUAWEI_E392-specs.pdf - that you should be ok

Advertisement