Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

vasectomy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

6th wrote: »
    I read it as a possible side affect.

I would be curious as to where you read that? I find it hard to believe that this is a known possible side effect and someone like myself who has had the procedure would never have been advised of the risk.

Now if you are saying your source is for example a (potentially unreliable) internet site, then I think it is highly irresponsible to be repeating such bunkom here.

Anyway on topic, in my own experience there are no such side effects - the opposite if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

my GP gave it as a possible side affect. He said in some cases men have found a decrease in sex drive after the procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Get it done on a Friday afternoon and then just take to the couch for the weekend. By Monday you will be good to go. Packets of frozen peas work great to relieve pain and swelling.

Highly recommend it if you are 100% positive that you do not want any more kids.

can you drive home yourself after the proceedure

irishh_bob wrote: »

I had to have someone drive me home both times though that was due to the fact I had a general not a local.

my GP gave it as a possible side affect. He said in some cases men have found a decrease in sex drive after the procedure.

6th - I am agahst that nobody else is reacting to you on this.

Was the gp who gave you this info the same one who did the procedure, or from the same practice? Is there a chance he/she was trying to discourage you with scare stories??

• Advertisement

Imhof Tank wrote: »

6th - I am agahst that nobody else is reacting to you on this.

Was the gp who gave you this info the same one who did the procedure, or from the same practice? Is there a chance he/she was trying to discourage you with scare stories??

No got it done completely separet to the gp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Didn't decrease my sex drive although my wife might have wished for that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Even if you have a local, get a lift back and take it really easy, My better half drove me there and back and then i bundled myself into a cab and stayed in my Mums for the first night and most of the next day (sat) so I would not have to lift or be attacked by my two boys at home.

The "ahem" support, is very useful, and I still use it now (10 days post procedure)

Took some solpadine for 2 days but no "real" pain...

get 2 small bags of frozen peas so you can rotate them for the first few days. they help a lot.

and, without leading you and giving you medical advice, go to someone who does loads of these and is surgically trained, preferably a urologist. mine cost me €600 all in..

your local GP may only do this on occasion.... My old GP advertised this, but after once getting him to stitch a finger together, there is no way he was going near me down there.... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 semka

I have it done 11 years ago in the limerick family planniing clinic. It last a couple of minutes and by Fu*k did it hurt LOL.. Well only for a second. I was back in the saddle the following morning. Rather gently though. I was back at my desk job 3 days later. Go for it. Im like a walking condom now. :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭westskipper

I drove home 150 miles after the procedure, although i only had the local anaesthetic and the 'laser/no scalpel/bloodless' method which means only two tiny incisions 1/2 " long on either side - 1 stitch in each. Slightly uncomfortable for a few dayss, bit of bruising etc but back at work 3rd day after. If u get it done on friday you will be at work on monday.

no side effects, no loss of sex drive, no problems at all...and most of all no more babies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

can it be done on medical card

No got it done completely separet to the gp.

OK. Would you say the GP was possibly trying to put you off with the scare story then?

nah he was very supportive of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

Hi Guys

I tried claiming tax relief on my vasectomy. Got audited by revenue as we had nearly 13K of medical bills in the same year.

This was the only receipt they rejected and said it wasnt eligible for Tax relief.

But my wife's prescription for her pill could be claimed! Mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

just dont do it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

just dont do it!

Why not, easy. Better than your wife getting done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

I had to have someone drive me home both times though that was due to the fact I had a general not a local.

How many sets of balls do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

What do you tell them at work?

Ring ring "Hello" "Hello" Sorry i won't be in today, I'm getting my nuts detached....silence!!!

I was very vocal about mine but I'm not what you'd call shy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

scholar007 wrote: »
    What do you tell them at work?

Ring ring "Hello" "Hello" Sorry i won't be in today, I'm getting my nuts detached....silence!!!

"I'm having a minor surgical procedure".

nobody needs to know your personal medical information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

getzls wrote: »
    Why not, easy. Better than your wife getting done.

+1

Exactly the reason why I had it done.

Best move ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭westskipper

SexyGuy wrote: »
    +1

Exactly the reason why I had it done.

Best move ever!

++1

Its selfish not to take the option to prevent further pregnancies when your are finished having kids. Its a much easierand less risky op for the man than the woman, and no more than a few days of mild discomfort. Why continue with temporary contraception if you are not intending having more kids ? Ditch the pills and condoms and relax ! Its a relief to be able to have unprotected sex without the worry about accidental pregnancy, and also very nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

......no more than a few days of mild discomfort.....

The only part I disagree with. I felt that the literature slightly downplayed the discomfort part. I would call it 5 weeks of diminishing discomfort. By the end of week two, most of the discomfort is gone, bar the odd twinge, if you squash the furniture without thinking. A week off work after the procedure, to just take it totally easy, is a wise move. And no cycling. ;)

I read it as a possible side affect.

Vasectomy has no effect on sex drive at all. It doesn't interfere with the production of testosterone.

hadepsx wrote: »
    can it be done on medical card

As far as I know, it is no longer covered by the medical card. These two links seem to suggest that it is not. Link. Link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Snipdog

Just wondering if anyone knows the real rate of failure for it in Ireland. Looking it up online would put the fear of jaysus in you nothin but stories of pregnant American women all with snipped hubbies. I had it done 6 years ago and had a re-test last year just to be sure but any time herself is "late" (as she is at the moment) it really freaks me out. I asked the doc who did it what the fail rate was and he said in 20 odd years he never had a failure but there's always a first........

In fairness though its a great job, there's no loss of sex drive and I've never had any pain as a result of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 spurskiely

Fail rate story would freak me out as well .

From my reading, the fail rate is 15 pregnancies in the first 12 months per 10,000 vasectomies performed. That is where they get the 99.85% success rate from. I'd say those pregnancies are caused by guys thinking that once the vas deferens have been cut, they are immediately good to go for barebacking without other forms of contraception. They forget that only after two semen samples have been tested and returned negative, then they are clear. I'd say if both vas deferens are cut properly, and the semen tests are negative, the chances of impregnating a woman are nil. Doctors will never say 100%, just in case, but, effectively, that is what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Snipdog

Ya I think you're right and keep telling myself the chances of failing are realistically nil. Mine was done in Limerick Family Planning and the doc was an absolute gent and very professional but I still get a little concerned when she starts lookin at the calendar with a worried face!! We've 2 lovely kids I wouldn't give up for the world but I like the way life is now and wouldn't really want to go back to nappies and sleepless nights

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Snipdog wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows the real rate of failure for it in Ireland. Looking it up online would put the fear of jaysus in you nothin but stories of pregnant American women all with snipped hubbies. I had it done 6 years ago and had a re-test last year just to be sure but any time herself is "late" (as she is at the moment) it really freaks me out. I asked the doc who did it what the fail rate was and he said in 20 odd years he never had a failure but there's always a first........

In fairness though its a great job, there's no loss of sex drive and I've never had any pain as a result of it.

Forgive the cynic in me but if I heard of a woman who has become pregnant despite her OH having a vasectomy my first thought would not be a failed surgical procedure....

Advertisement