Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forgot to put in my calculator make on the exam paper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

So did I actually :confused:
    I'm sure people do it all the time. I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

I can't imagine that you'll lose marks.

In fact, I think that might be there to help the examiner to see how you got an answer
    eg If you had everything right and then put cos45 or something into your calculator and it was on the wrong setting or something you could get the wrong answer.
    I think it's a precautionary-type thing. I definitely wouldn't worry about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Can't say i've ever heard of anyone doing that before, I really don't know what they'll do

• Registered Users Posts: 13 offandonagain

Thanks for that! I feel much better

Yeah I wrote down everything step-by-step so I think it'll be grand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

My friend did it last year and his whole paper one was deemed a fail due to this.

not really

• Advertisement

I'm freaking out know. Worked my ass off in that paper.
    Was so tired after geog and just opened the paper.
    Seriously is it a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Jesus, now that you say it im not sure if i wrote if down for maths. The funny thing is i definitely wrote it down for geography :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Victoria. wrote: »
    I'm freaking out know. Worked my ass off in that paper.
    Was so tired after geog and just opened the paper.
    Seriously is it a problem?
    I doubt it. Anybody know where we could get something official on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Our superintendents were insistent that we put it on, reminded us like 3 times throughout!
    Doubt it matters though, unless you're trying to hide from the fact you used one of the disallowed calculators!

Edit:
    * Candidates must indicate on their answerbooks the make and model of any calculator(s) used in the examination.
    * Candidates are not allowed to take an instruction manual into the examination hall. This includes instructions printed on the cover of the calculator. Any instructions printed on a casing that cannot be removed from the calculator must be securely covered.
    * Candidates may not turn on their calculators until the examination begins.

http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=gy (19)

Since 2/3 are not really enforced, I doubt it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

I didn't put it down either, I was actually just about to ask the same question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

I thought it was there so they could see if your calculator was a "legal" one to use in the test and couldn't give you the answers to the questions from the very start.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    I thought it was there so they could see if your calculator was a "legal" one to use in the test and couldn't give you the answers to the questions from the very start.

I thought that too, but sure couldn't you just bring in a super-calculator and still write down the model of a normal calculator?

It's just to make sure you don't use a programmable one.
    My examiner won't let us take home the paper if we leave early.
    Is she allowed do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

SirDarren wrote: »
    I thought that too, but sure couldn't you just bring in a super-calculator and still write down the model of a normal calculator?

Well then I guess you put in enough effort to learn a normal calculator model?

Is she allowed do that?

Don't think so. Pretty sure someone left our exam after like 1.5 hours but took it with them.

Is she allowed do that?

Ours did that for the JC too, no idea why!?

So what happens to the grade if anything? I need my B3 for my course and I can only get 50% if I get 100% in next paper. I think I'm gonna be sick :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

I'd say once you showed how you got the answers you're fine. It would show that you didn't use one of the calculators that are not allowed and that you actually know what you're doing.

I'm sure hundreds of people forget to write it on the paper anyway!

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    Well then I guess you put in enough effort to learn a normal calculator model?

Well it'd be the easiest thing to learn for the maths paper! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 offandonagain

gemxpink wrote: »
    Our superintendents were insistent that we put it on, reminded us like 3 times throughout!
    Doubt it matters though, unless you're trying to hide from the fact you used one of the disallowed calculators!

Edit:
    * Candidates must indicate on their answerbooks the make and model of any calculator(s) used in the examination.
    * Candidates are not allowed to take an instruction manual into the examination hall. This includes instructions printed on the cover of the calculator. Any instructions printed on a casing that cannot be removed from the calculator must be securely covered.
    * Candidates may not turn on their calculators until the examination begins.

http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=gy (19)

Since 2/3 are not really enforced, I doubt it matters.

Our examiner never said anything. And never does for that matter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

gemxpink wrote: »
    Ours did that for the JC too, no idea why!?

I assume the reasoning behind it is so that you don't give the paper to someone else who has a look at it and then heads into the exam late? I dunno though, who'd go into an exam an hour late? My examiner lets us keep em even if we leave early.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Not only is she allowed, she is required to take the paper if you're leaving early.

Absolutely NOTHING will happen to your grade because you didn't write the make of your calculator in.

Victoria. wrote: »
    So what happens to the grade if anything? I need my B3 for my course and I can only get 50% if I get 100% in next paper. I think I'm gonna be sick :confused:

You'll be fine! They wont dock you marks or cancel your paper 1, don't worry about it. Focus on paper 2!
    Kersmash wrote: »
    I assume the reasoning behind it is so that you don't give the paper to someone else who has a look at it and then heads into the exam late? I dunno though, who'd go into an exam an hour late? My examiner lets us keep em even if we leave early.

I thought the max you could go in late was 30 minutes though!? :confused:

• Sure, if you write it on your paper 2 they'll know anyway. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

You'll be writing down the calculator model on Monday anyway so the examiner will know you used the same one today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

@ Jessa Muscular Tackle snap :D

So does the same examiner correct both of our papers then?
    If they did that would be great. Didn't realise and I just don't want them to think that I was using a banned calculator and trying to hide it. :confused:

• Victoria. wrote: »
    So does the same examiner correct both of our papers then?
    If they did that would be great. Didn't realise and I just don't want them to think that I was using a banned calculator and trying to hide it. :confused:
    Yeah I assume so! They have to total your marks and all that so, wouldn't make sense to send it to 2 different examiners.

Yeah I assume so! They have to total your marks and all that so, wouldn't make sense to send it to 2 different examiners.

Hope so :)
    I guess it would make sense.
    I'm so stressed and this has got me shaking. I need my maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Watch this space for a photo of your paper - http://failblog.org/

Jk :D Nah but seriously i doubt its a big deal. I didnt notice it until my friend told me to do it as we were handing it up!

Consdiering the vigilators dont even mention it i doubt its that important ( our one told us all not to write on the log tables but that was it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement