Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Gamepass blackouts. Will you be signing up?

• 04-07-2012 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,448 ✭✭✭✭

Ok lets see how many potential customers we are talking about who won't be signing back up or who were interested and are not now.

Please state if you were an NFL Gamepass customer last year.

I'm out anyways if its going to be like this. I can find all the streams I want for free, only reason I took gamepass was that I could watch whatever game I wanted without having to look for them. And Redzone too.

I had it last season.

Will you buy gamepass for 2012? 39 votes

Yes, had gamepass before and will buy it this season regardless
    2%
    de5p0i1er 1 vote
    Yes, buying gamepass for the first time regardless
    38%
    JJdougaldeciesChardee MacDennisLeslie91adrian522Silver-Tigerfrostie500Spongey1975FreeOSCARPhoenix Parkmikemac1jimjimjimmykevinb99101CoachTO 15 votes
    No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use sky
    30%
    davetheravedeise_boiThat_Guyfisgonempacherjack presleyPaully DWilcoOutwawamanJaMarcus HustleIRL_McNuggetz[Deleted User] 12 votes
    No, was going to buy gamepass for the first time but not with blackouts, will use sky
    2%
    SoulGuy 1 vote
    No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use streams
    7%
    BluredUnitedIrishmanBaronVon 3 votes
    No, was going to buy gamepass for the first time but not with blackouts, will use streams
    17%
    eagle eyetitan18Oat23counterlockhuman 19HowAreWeCorktitan 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,448 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No, was going to buy gamepass for the first time but not with blackouts, will use streams
    I'm chatting with them now.

First question.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Hello, how may I help you?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Eagle Eye:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Hi there I'm just contacting you regarding restricitions with NFL gamepass. I just noticed that I have a UK logo at the top of the screen when I go to the gamepass area. I'm in the Republic of Ireland and have nothing to do with the UK. Are we given the same restrictions as people in Northern Ireland(they are part of the UK)?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] If you are in Ireland, then no, so long as your IP address is being recognized as being from the Republic of Ireland, then you will not have the UK restrictions.[/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Subscriber last two seasons

I can live with certain blackouts every week for Sky

But I'd badly miss Scott Hanson and Red Zone
    NFL RedZone is not available in the UK and Republic of Ireland.

So I'm out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I subscribed to it last year. Even though it's cheaper I won't be subscribing if there's blackouts. Lack of Redzone would suck too, but the blackouts are the bigger problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Had it last year and thought it was amazing.

Haven't decided about this year but I'd say restrictions would be a small part of the decision. Streams don't even come close to GamePass and if you really want then you can get them for the blacked out games.

No RedZone sucks but I didn't use it that much last season. And again streams if you really want.

Even missing a couple of live games a week GamePass is still brilliant. Archives of every game and now coaches film just make this insane value.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Additional blackout restrictions apply in the UK and Republic of Ireland. For a full description of device-specific features, requirements, limitations, and other information, visit our FAQ.

Judging by the above, unfortunately I think we're going to be subject to the same restrictions as the UK. I've subscribed the last couple of years and probably will this year as it's a hell of a lot cheaper than getting sky. For me, missing the playoffs or having to watch them using some crappy stream is the biggest issue. I can see my interest in football waning as a result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,448 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ok here is my full conversation with them. I will be back onto them on Monday. Sudden change as you can see in the middle of our conversation after it was going so well.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Hello, how may I help you?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Eagle Eye:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Hi there I'm just contacting you regarding restricitions with NFL gamepass. I just noticed that I have a UK logo at the top of the screen when I go to the gamepass area. I'm in the Republic of Ireland and have nothing to do with the UK. Are we given the same restrictions as people in Northern Ireland(they are part of the UK)?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] If you are in Ireland, then no, so long as your IP address is being recognized as being from the Republic of Ireland, then you will not have the UK restrictions.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Eagle Eye:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Ok thanks. Can you tell me why this UK flag is on my screen when I go into the gamepass?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] what is your current IP address?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] www.wimi.com[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Eagle Eye:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Sorry? I don't understand?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] go to www.wimi.com[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] and tell me what your IP address is[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Eagle Eye:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Oh, sorry about that. The result is --.--.---.--[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Your IP is being allocated properly, so you are fine. I'm not sure why you see a UK flag on screen, but as long as your IP address is from Republic of Ireland, you should have no issue.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Eagle Eye:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Thats great news. Is there any chance you can get rid of that UK flag thing by the way? I'm not that bothered by it but there are a lot of Irish people who would be.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] I can recommend it but if it doesn't affect the function of the website, i really don't see that changing, sorry.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Eagle Eye:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Its just something I suggest you send up the line. You could hear about it on twitter.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Sure[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Eagle Eye:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] If I get NFL gamepass+ will I be able to watch Redzone and all the games when I'm in the Republic of Ireland?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] In Ireland, yes.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Eagle Eye:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] What about the regular NFL gamepass? I'm asking for a lot of Irish NFL fans here. We have a website we frequent to discuss things.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] What exactly do you mean by "regular" Game Pass. Please be more specific.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Eagle Eye:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Sorry, hang on and I'll be more clear[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Eagle Eye:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Ok there is season gamepass[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Eagle Eye:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Then there is season plus[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Eagle Eye:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Can I watch Redzone and all the games on both of them?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] You'll have to check back at a later date. I see where on the front page of Game Pass it says RedZone not available in the UK and Ireland, but the FAQs only say not available in the UK.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] You'll have to check back.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Eagle Eye:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] When do I check back?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] How about you give us a few days to verify.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] so check back next week.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Eagle Eye:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Could you send me an email about it?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] I'm sorry, there's no way for me to track, so it is best that you contact us again in a few days.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Eagle Eye:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] The reason I came on here this evening is because there are a lot of people concerned and confused. All Irish gamepass customers, well a lot have had gamepass and some were going to get it this year. Right now they are backing off because of possible restrictions which were never there before. The UK flag thing is irritating a number of them too.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] I'm so sorry that the UK flag is so irritating to you and your followers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Like I've said, I will contact personnel to take a look at this[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Game Pass has just launched and there are obvious changes and clarifications that still need to be made before the start of the season.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Again, it is best if you check back with is within a week so we can have better answers for you.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Eagle Eye:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] They are not followers, just friends. I'll contact you guys again next Monday. Hopefully you will have answers then.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Please do.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NFL Audio Pass:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Thank you for contacting NFL subscription support, have a good day.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Eagle Eye:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Ok goodgye for now, good day to you too.[/FONT]

Ya, I got something similar that they are trying to verify it, and will attempt to fix the logo issue

Masked Man wrote: »
    Had it last year and thought it was amazing.

Haven't decided about this year but I'd say restrictions would be a small part of the decision. Streams don't even come close to GamePass and if you really want then you can get them for the blacked out games.

No RedZone sucks but I didn't use it that much last season. And again streams if you really want.

Even missing a couple of live games a week GamePass is still brilliant. Archives of every game and now coaches film just make this insane value.

It's good alright, but I'm not going to pay for half a service.Depending on what games are on TV, fans of the Giants, Eagles, Cowboys and Patriots are probably looking at 5 or 6 blackouts during the year. Not including playoff games. If I have to use streams for 4 or 5 weeks during the season, I'm using streams for every week, not paying for Sky, Gamepass or both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Didn't have it last year, but have subscribed this year. The condensed game option is just too good a feature to pass up. Won't miss a thing with a combination of Sky and Gamepass. I know previously all you needed was GamePass, but the popularity of the sport has exploded in the past few seasons and Sky obviously want some exclusivity on the content they are paying an increasing sum for, hence the blackouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Speaking of Gamepass, signed up for the offseason just to try it out and got an email this morning stating...
    We also wanted to inform you that your NFL Game Pass Monthly subscription price will revert to the Regular Season Monthly rate of 64.99 EUR beginning August 2, 2012

Does that pricing seem right to you regular Gamepass users here? Always used Sky in the past, but there's absolutely no way Id be paying for the complete Sky package + Gamepass on a monthly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

I had the season gamepass last year but the primary reason i had it was to watch the Bears matches. I'm probably going to get the season plus package this year. There is a lot more on that to keep me busy during the week. The restrictions don't bother me as much since i have sky sports.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I had a conversation with one of the guys on nfluk and it seems we are likely to be included in the UK however nothing has been signed with sky yet and the guy over there is hinting that the blackout time will be less this year (it was 6 days last year).

Redzone doesn't bother me really and most Sundays I'd want to watch games not on sky but I'd rather not have the blackouts.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

Anyway I signed up for the season plus package as I'll use it regardless.

Only real downside would be no live playoffs.

Edit: Pretty close to confirmed:

http://forum.nfluk.com/showpost.php?p=1597063&postcount=446

"To be clear, for the 2012 season, both UK and Republic of Ireland are to a 6-day blackout of select games aired on Sky Sports within NFL Game Pass. This includes regular season games as well as Playoffs and Super Bowl within the Season Plus subscription package. That said, the blackout length is subject to be shortened at any time.

You are correct, for last season, NFL Game Pass did not restrict in the Republic of Ireland. I have corrected the original post to make clear this is for the 2012 season."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I think I'll get the season plus package which gives us access to scouting camps, the draft etc, it also seems to give more options on the coaches plays section. For an extra €30 I think it could be worth it.

I use a streaming site for my ''soccer'' viewing, and they also show Sky Sports NFL there too so between that and Gamepass I'll get to watch the Ravens every week at least plus I'd end up watching 4 or 5 of the condensed games during the week, plus NFL Network and the coaches plays.

The only thing I don't like is the fact you have to buy a new subscription for the playoffs, but they're virtually all on Sky anyway so would be blacked out over here by the looks of things.

As JaMarcus says, between Sky and Gamepass you wouldn't miss a thing.

For those that Titan mentioned, fans of the popular teams which will see 5 or 6 blackouts from Sky TV games, it might be worth you buying day passes to a site such as FlashSportsStreams for a couple of quid if your team is on Sky. I've used them for the last two years and they've been spot on, far better than the free streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

RedZone is crucial for the fantasy league get togethers on Sunday though! Will be streaming that this year it seems.

Will Sky Sports be showing all the TNF & MNF games as well or just the Sunday this year?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not sure what games sky will have but the blackout only applies to Sunday 6pm and 9pm games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Sky will have a 6pm and 9pm game on Sunday, and any Thursday/Saturday games later in the season aswell as all the playoffs.

They never have MNF, ESPN will have that again this year, and I'm assuming Channel 4 will have SNF once again.

Theres no TV deal announced yet afaik, so Sky might not have it again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

I'll be getting it for the first time. Can't see that many Bears games being broadcast on Sky other than Week 15 vs GreenBay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

160 euro is seriously tempting for the whole season and off season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

I have signed up for another regular season subscription to Game Pass. I don't get it for the play offs as i watch them on Sky as the games don't clash.

Not sure if anyone else watches the way i do, but i try and watch as many games as possible without knowing the final score. So i watch a 6pm Sunday game live on Game Pass, and move the picture down to the bottom of my screen to cut off the other live scores on the ticker. Than when they cut to another live match for an update i hit mute and look awayor look at something else on another window wunning in the background. This keeps it more exciting and entertaining for me, and usually i can watch a few of the 6pm games (in full or condensed) without knowing the final result.

I can't do this on Sky because i can't cut it as easily and they are constantly showing scores in other games or cutting to the studio to talk about other games. Like most sports, my enjoyment is reduced a huge amount if i know the outcome before the off, Game Pass is much more handy than Sky, so its a pity if there is a big game on Sky i will have to watch it on Sky (i can only avoid game results for a day or two before its inevitable i learn about them one way or another). Usually by Tuesday night i will have seen about six of the 6pm Sunday games or so (some condensed) as "live" which makes it more enjoyable.

EDIT: another advantage of all the games on Game Pass is that it frees up the TV for Herself. Overall this is a real pain, presonally i don't like NFL on Sky at all as i'm not keen on their studio coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭boccy23

There seems to be a huge difference between GamePass for the UK and Ireland. I received a "special" promo offer of £99.99 if I sign up now for Gamepass for 2012. Tried it and because it is an Irish IP address, their "special" offer is $199. Big difference.

• Advertisement

boccy23 wrote: »
    There seems to be a huge difference between GamePass for the UK and Ireland. I received a "special" promo offer of £99.99 if I sign up now for Gamepass for 2012. Tried it and because it is an Irish IP address, their "special" offer is $199. Big difference.

thats the follow a team option isnt it?, €109.99/£99.99

UK Prices are Season £99 Season Plus £129
    Ieland prices are: €129/€159

Not that much difference really.

Where are you seeing $199?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

thats the follow a team option isnt it?, €109.99/£99.99
    yeh there is alright, but you dont get all the content with a one team pass that you do with the regular pass. I have never got it before but am thinking of doing so for the coming season.

Can anyone tell me if you watch it on say an ipad, do you have the option to pause the game (like Sky+) and then pick up where you left off or fast forward and rewind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I wouldn't sign up to the one team package

If you're going to pay that you may as well pay for the full deal, it's not much more
    wawaman wrote: »

Can anyone tell me if you watch it on say an ipad, do you have the option to pause the game (like Sky+) and then pick up where you left off or fast forward and rewind?

Yep, not a problem to pause and skip around to wherever you want

A few hours after the game it's archived, they strip out all the ads and you can watch it that way if you want

Or they show condensed versions of the games which are even shorter again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭boccy23

adrian522 wrote: »
    UK Prices are Season £99 Season Plus £129
    Ieland prices are: €129/€159

Not that much difference really.

Where are you seeing $199?
    Oh do you know what. It's my IP address in work. This comes from Germany and I'd say that's where the difference is.

Will try it again when I get home.

wawaman wrote: »

not on live but with archived games yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I have signed up for another regular season subscription to Game Pass. I don't get it for the play offs as i watch them on Sky as the games don't clash.

Not sure if anyone else watches the way i do, but i try and watch as many games as possible without knowing the final score. So i watch a 6pm Sunday game live on Game Pass, and move the picture down to the bottom of my screen to cut off the other live scores on the ticker. Than when they cut to another live match for an update i hit mute and look awayor look at something else on another window wunning in the background. This keeps it more exciting and entertaining for me, and usually i can watch a few of the 6pm games (in full or condensed) without knowing the final result.

I can't do this on Sky because i can't cut it as easily and they are constantly showing scores in other games or cutting to the studio to talk about other games. Like most sports, my enjoyment is reduced a huge amount if i know the outcome before the off, Game Pass is much more handy than Sky, so its a pity if there is a big game on Sky i will have to watch it on Sky (i can only avoid game results for a day or two before its inevitable i learn about them one way or another). Usually by Tuesday night i will have seen about six of the 6pm Sunday games or so (some condensed) as "live" which makes it more enjoyable.

I like doing similar when it comes to the NFL, but like you say it's virtually impossible to do on Sky as they constantly switch to other games when there's a break in play in their live game.

Is there an option to hide the scores of the other games when watching on Gamepass so that you can do the above without knowing the result?

If (well, more likely when) I get Gamepass I can see myself watching far too much football :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Paully D wrote: »
    I like doing similar when it comes to the NFL, but like you say it's virtually impossible to do on Sky as they constantly switch to other games when there's a break in play in their live game.

Is there an option to hide the scores of the other games when watching on Gamepass so that you can do the above without knowing the result?

If (well, more likely when) I get Gamepass I can see myself watching far too much football :D

No, i even e -mailed them when i first got it and asked if you could turn off the ticker, or if they would show an additional stream on Game Pass with the ticker off, but no. Like i said, i just move the window down a bit to hide the other scores. Its a killer when having to watch on Sky though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Had it for the last 2 years. Will get it again if they don't have the UK restrictions. Won't be getting it if the UK restictions apply.

I don't have Sky, so if the UK restrictions apply, I'd have to get both Gamepass and a Sky subscription just to get what I had in Gamepass last year (won't be doing that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Was thinking of getting Gamepass for the first time this coming season, but when I heard of these new restrictions coming in, its put me right off.
    I'd imagine, I'd be watching a good bit of Redzone, so if thats not included as well there really no point in me buying it.
    Just continue on with the streams.

Advertisement