Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Train to Derry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Have you looked for Londonderry? There is definitely a train station there as I have been there although I think it may be quicker from Belfast by bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

I travel by train from Dublin to Derry and back around six times a year as my elderly parents live over the border in Donegal.

I go that way because I prefer it considerably more than the bus. Yes, it takes longer and is more expensive but I will continue to do it because

1. I don't get sat on. In fact, decent and comfortable seats are to be had
    2. Have you ever drank the coffee in Monaghan Bus Depot? And in ten minutes? Jesus Christ.
    3. It's a damn sight more scenic - coming out of the Castlerock tunnels to the glimpse of the Inishowen coast is just fantastic
    4. On train catering on the Dublin - Belfast section, and you have enough time to load up with reasonably high quality consumables in Belfast before switching trains
    5. You see a completely different Ireland to the one 99% of us in the Republic see
    6. No brain numbing queues to get on or off

I am also acting counter to the An Bord Snip mentality - not everything can or should be reduced down to the lowest common denominator. In other words, I don't own a Mercedes or get flown by helicopter or government jet - as long as I am let travel this way by our dismal scientists I will continue to do so, so fork the Doheny and Nesbitt School of Economics and all their little Libertarian followers with them.

BTW, isn't it gas to see Vincent Browne giving out about An Bord Snip Nua? He was one of the biggest cheerleaders for Colm McCarthy in the eighties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I travel by train from Dublin to Derry and back around six times a year as my elderly parents live over the border in Donegal.

I go that way because I prefer it considerably more than the bus. Yes, it takes longer and is more expensive but I will continue to do it because

2. Have you ever drank the coffee in Monaghan Bus Depot? And in ten minutes? Jesus Christ.
    3. It's a damn sight more scenic - coming out of the Castlerock tunnels to the glimpse of the Inishowen coast is just fantastic
    4. On train catering on the Dublin - Belfast section, and you have enough time to load up with reasonably high quality consumables in Belfast before switching trains
    5. You see a completely different Ireland to the one 99% of us in the Republic see

I am also acting counter to the An Bord Snip mentality - not everything can or should be reduced down to the lowest common denominator. In other words, I don't own a Mercedes or get flown by helicopter or government jet - as long as I am let travel this way by our dismal scientists I will continue to do so, so fork the Doheny and Nesbitt School of Economics and all their little Libertarian followers with them.

BTW, isn't it gas to see Vincent Browne giving out about An Bord Snip Nua? He was one of the biggest cheerleaders for Colm McCarthy in the eighties.

Its posts like this that encourage me to keep reading this forum.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Could I get the price, if you don't mind? Somoene I know of will be making the trip from Derry on a Friday, and going back on a Sunday.
    They'll want to make it to Dublin by at least 8pm, as they'll be getting another train West, once they get to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

knock yourself out
    www.translink.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

dereko1969 wrote: »
    knock yourself out
    www.translink.co.uk

Just want to say that i love that website. Very informative and easy to use. A republic version would be ideal.

Btw /MYOB is it not just that Thomastown wouldn't fit across the map in one word???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I didn't realise the Derry rail service was as good as that. Up to 9 services daily I see. The media down here had us less to believe it was ready to close. It looks better to me than comparable Galway, Waterford services.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dereko1969 wrote: »
    knock yourself out
    www.translink.co.uk
    Okay.. I put in from "Derry" to "Dublin"... get times, but no prices.

The fares section mentions bus passes... but can't find out how much the train journey would cost :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That brings up the point I wanted to ask.

As mentioned elsewhere, any Irish Rail ticket office (but **not** the automatic ticket machines) can sell a ticket from any IR station to any other one. Presumably, they - or at least Enterprise stations - can also sell a ticket to any NIR station served by Enterprise. But what about non-Enterprise NIR stations - as in, can I buy a ticket from Dublin to Derry (or for that matter, Larne?). And what reciporacal arrangements have NIR to sell IR tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

icdg wrote: »

As mentioned elsewhere, any Irish Rail ticket office (but **not** the automatic ticket machines) can sell a ticket from any IR station to any other one. Presumably, they - or at least Enterprise stations - can also sell a ticket to any NIR station served by Enterprise. But what about non-Enterprise NIR stations - as in, can I buy a ticket from Dublin to Derry (or for that matter, Larne?). And what reciporacal arrangements have NIR to sell IR tickets?

I know that the tvms in Connolly sell tickets to all the obscure NIR stations. Dhu Varren, Trooperslane etc.

When I tried to buy a ticket from Belfast to Donabate, I was unable to. At Central Station they could sell me a ticket to Drogheda or Malahide but nowhere in between. Strange as the Enterprise doesn't stop at Malahide.

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »

Ticket machines are the same in all IR booking offices so assuming they know the codes etc. they can issue u a ticket from anywhere to anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Whatever about an ATVM being able to issue you with any ticket you desire (provided you weren't at Mafeking or the GPO in 1916) only a fool would buy a ticket from one, as the price can be up to 4 times the price that the person behind the ticket counter will charge! :D

Whatever about an ATVM being able to issue you with any ticket you desire (provided you weren't at Mafeking or the GPO in 1916) only a fool would buy a ticket from one, as the price can be up to 4 times the price that the person behind the ticket counter will charge! :D

True. Using those machines should only be done if you hav absolutely no other option. Out of interest which tickets can be 4 times more expensive?

fh041205 wrote: »
    True. Using those machines should only be done if you hav absolutely no other option. Out of interest which tickets can be 4 times more expensive?

For selfish reasons I won't reveal this information but I assure that it is true. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 gunslinger1987

I really cant find the timetable. :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

Good post sir and I agree completely. Vincent Browne is a borderline halfwit. He talks a line of ****e constantly, yet no one seems to tell him to get stuffed and point out his sheer moronic outlook for no other reason than he is "Vincent Browne"...

Try www.translink.co.uk

though God only knows why you want to visit the kip...oops sorry to all Nordies!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I know that the tvms in Connolly sell tickets to all the obscure NIR stations. Dhu Varren, Trooperslane etc.

Having taken the train from Maynooth to Dhu Varren more than once before I got a car, its not that obscure!

Admittedly I was probably the only person to have ever done that journey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 gunslinger1987

Just going over the border to Donegal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Can I buy a return ticket for Dublin-Derry online?

• Advertisement
Advertisement