Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does this song not blow your mind?? (Fireflight)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Woah, what is that **** assaulting my eardrums.

I'll take generic any day ahead of that.
    ...the Tool song that was posted, which is down tone and morbid by intent...
    I listen to a little bit.

The music video was beginning to freak me out though.

As far as the music itself went, all I picked up on was...

/bom-bom-bom *some growling here - kind of sounds like a dude try to wretch* bom-bom-bom

Sorry, but despite your opinion, that, does not = mainstream

You didn't listen to the song at all, did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I listened to about half of it. It's just sub-Evanescence fluff, and I don't like Evanescence or any of these "metal" bands with female vocalists.

Don't get me started on "Christian Rock" - why not just "Rock"? For example, several of the guys in Dream Theater are Christians, and Christian-type themes sometimes appear in their work, but they manage to make them work for a wider audience. Rock is more important than any message - or should be - in my opinion.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Now't wrong with the OP's choice of music, a bit of fairly uneventful, guitar-based pop. Not bad, but not particularly memorable IMO.

The fact that he/she thinks Parabol/Parabola is all 'roaarrr-bummm-tsccchhh-arrgh!' means that anything even vaguely left-of-field isn't for them. Which is fine because we're all entitled to own choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Ramstein?

I think what would call "in your face", is more what I would define as "up your ass".

God damn that guys voice grates on me.

Get out. Just...go.

While your conflict toward everything that isn't your opinion has been mildly entertaining at best, maybe you should just give up and accept that your taste differs wildly from most people here and your high-horse comments about Tool being a band of minority appeal and a metal band being too metal for you just aren't going to be taken without strife.

Basically what you've done is come to a place where people express their love for innovative and emotive music that ranges from the tonal genius of Jimi Hendrix and Gary Moore to the absolutely gutteral, ear wounding blasts of bands like Nile and Necrophagist and said "Nah lads, that's all a load of shíte, Fireflight is the new standard in music. These guys are the one band that people will look back on and think "Jaysus, the likes of Beethoven, Miles Davis and Micheal Jackson simply pale in comparison to the sheer unimaginable brilliance of Fireflight.""

I imagine that in a few years time when Fireflight break up because they realise that their shot at fame was just another forgotten wave in the ocean that is the music industry, you'll still be there, rooting for them as if they're the new sliced bread of music. Well root away, but don't be surprised to find that nobody else is with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

This ^^

I get the feeling we're feeding a troll though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

ITT: Gigantic music snobs. Then again, this is the internet so what do you expect.

A little harsh. OP posted a song, others considered it bland - an opinion which I share. I've generally found this forum to be very open and respectful, and posters to have a fairly diverse range of interests. I have never considered it snobbish tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

bnt wrote: »
    I listened to about half of it. It's just sub-Evanescence fluff, and I don't like Evanescence or any of these "metal" bands with female vocalists.
    If you think Evanescence are the standard by which female-fronted rock or metal bands are to be judged then I despair. Why have you put metal in quotes? Are you trying to imply that by not having some hairy bloke growling the bands are invalid in some way?

As for Fireflight, they're just pretty unremarkable radio-friendly American rock. That song is not bad as such, it's just not that interesting either. Background music for the car during the morning commute I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Spagetti Hair

Malice wrote: »
    Background music for the car during the morning commute I suppose.

safe_image.php?d=AQAGt_Ayd2Yq0RtC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fi4.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FCBDvS3Xtn5g%2Fhqdefault.jpg

Right on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

When you see a charismatic female singing beautifully with a strong melodic backing...

...well.
    I think we all know where I'm going here.

Me too :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

weisses wrote: »
    Me too :cool:

That's an incredibly funny tune. Thanks for posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Gotta say I'm surprised by peoples reactions a bit.

I don't find the song very interesting. It's not unlistenable, just not my thing. And the OP isn't attacking Tool or any of the other bands posted. Just likewise saying that it's not their type of music either.

The Rock & Metal forum is meant to be a friendly place! No one wants to post a song and be judged for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Gotta say I'm surprised by peoples reactions a bit.

I don't find the song very interesting. It's not unlistenable, just not my thing. And the OP isn't attacking Tool or any of the other bands posted. Just likewise saying that it's not their type of music either.

The Rock & Metal forum is meant to be a friendly place! No one wants to post a song and be judged for it.

No one was judging him though :)

He asked what we thought of it and I posted my opinion on it. And to be fair he did kinda attack Tool and described Rammstein as "up your ass".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

There's a fairly negative tone to a lot of responses IMO.
    DrumSteve wrote: »
    described Rammstein as "up your ass".

But that's a quite apt description of a lot of Rammstein songs! They like people to feel that way, just think of Buch Dich and the Pussy video. I wouldn't see it as an attack.
    And Parabol is downbeat and melancholy sounding, before it kicks into Parabola. So I wouldn't see that as an attack either.

Advertisement