Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seanie Johnston Kildare Transfer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

dcr22B wrote: »
    I was actually going to make that point that Kildare were stymied this season by the double whammy of losing the two lads especially Earley as it meant they lost the effectiveness of Doyle in the forward line.

Following on from that, does it worry Kildare fans that their two talismanic figures are coming to the end of their careers and do they have anyone currently in the squad or coming through the 21s that can step into the breach?
    Some very exciting prospects coming through two McDonnell lads from safaris DS are savage!! Podge lad from athy too apparently forwards like smyth etc are gonna be under pressure from the new lads!!! I do think geezer plays too defensively it's like smyth kicked 11 points from open play last year in county championship against leixlip I think but I feel he is restricted playing under geezer!!!

I have heard the under 21s are gonna take some beating this year, apparently it's gonna take a great team a huge effort to beat them!!

Kildare are not a side struggling to find players we are a county and a team looking forward and upwards!!!

I do have respect for Dublin tbh!! Why not?? Good football team hard working!!

But we are out to dethrone em ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I have heard the under 21s are gonna take some beating this year, apparently it's gonna take a great team a huge effort to beat them!!
    To be fair, you hear that from almost every county every single year.
    Last year was similar for us, every Meath fan was bigging the U21s up, they beat Dublin, who were AI champions, and then lost the next round to Longford.
    Pretty much anyone has a chance at winning Leinster next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,192 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

To be fair, you hear that from almost every county every single year.

True. Last year Cork were meant to be unbeatable with their greatest U-21 side ever. They lost in the semis to Galway who nobody was talking about and they ended up winning the whole thing and in some style.

With young lads they are usually better off if people are not blowing smoke up their holes too early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

I'll believe the above when I see it. This team as minors won nothing so cant see how all of a sudden they're world beaters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Derfil wrote: »

I'll believe the above when I see it. This team as minors won nothing so cant see how all of a sudden they're world beaters.

People said the same about the Cavan U21s last year and they made the All Ireland final. A team can change alot between minor and U21.

Also, as happened Cavan when they were minor, alot of teams get one shot at minor. There's only a backdoor for provincial finalists. Have an off day and lose your one game and that's you gone from the grade.

Derfil wrote: »

Maybe so. But remember a year or two can mature players hugely

The work that is put into hawk field with the county set up is huge.......

A lad here in work reckons its in the Independent today that Seanie is saying he is working in Straffan and is definitely seeking a transfer. Is this true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Going even further that he has officially joined Kildare and it's being announced today.

Going even further that he has officially joined Kildare and it's being announced today.

Has the transfer not been blocked and he is appealing?

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »

Has the transfer not been blocked and he is appealing?

I imagine so as I've been told he will be joining Kildare today

Johnston already lives in Straffan so I imagine its not going to be that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭celt262

Yeah i have been told by a reliable source that he is going to join a kildare club.

Can someone enlighten me, why is he living in Kildare if he still works in Cavan town? Something about this transfer seems fishy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Can someone enlighten me, why is he living in Kildare if he still works in Cavan town? Something about this transfer seems fishy.
    I couldnt possibly comment, but lets see how it works out in practice if he truly is living literally full time in Kildare with the scenario of no overnights at all in Cavan.

He's working in Cavan town as a teacher in Cavan College. Not on flexitime so would have to be in Cavan at 9am.
    From Straffan that's a 1h40min drive via Edgeworthstown costing approx 20euro incl the motorway toll each way.
    So return you're looking at a daily commute of 3h20min driving and 40euro according to viamichelin.
    And you'd be looking at getting up at 6.30am every day in order to be out the door in time to make it to Cavan at 9am and not back till about 6 in the evening.
    A midweek training for the Gaels after school would mean him not getting back to Kildare till about midnight and have to get up again the next morning for school.

Adding it up thats 16h 40min in total of commuting over a 5 day week costing 200euro weekly in petrol alone not counting the depreciation or wear and tear that 1300km PER WEEK would cost you.

In addition. Seanie would be travelling home to his team Cavan Gaels (where he is the captain) at the weekend for training/ matches.
    That's another round trip of 260km and 3h20min spent in the car to have him back "home" in Kildare the same day that brings his total mileage to approx 1560km a week.

With 16 weeks between Sept 1 and 22nd Dec less one midterm, thats 23,400km that Seanie is telling us that he has travelled due him living in Kildare. And 3000 euro in petrol just to get to his job in the school in Cavan from Kildare!
    (you'd assume the €40 odd for the 6th trip per week would be paid by the gaels - his commitment to living in Kildare makes the 3grand he pays from his own pocket a small price to pay....)

Now.....
    aside from the 3 grand cost of commuting to and from Cavan for work (and letting the gaels pay any football expenses) are we to believe that he is really living in Kildare when 6 days a week when he has work/ football in Cavan town to attend to?

I could go on and chop and change and give different scenarios.
    But even the minimum amount of nights a week necessary to have it that the majority of your time is in a certain place, 4 out of 7 nights, assuming the gaels cover 2 of the trips thats still 1500 euro spent on commuting since christmas out of his own pocket and an awful lot of driving that he is asking us to believe he is making.

If he really is that committed to Kildare then he deserves to play for them, but a man with that possesses and demonstrates that sort of unworldly motivation surely would be interested in proving he is deserving of getting his place back on the Cavan team you would think!

Are you sure about that? If he lives in Straffan, why would he be working in Cavan town and playing for Cavan Gaels?

He might have an address in Straffan but he doesn't live there AFAIK. According to the AA site, Straffan is 1 hour and 47 minutes from Cavan. That's a 4 hour round trip he has for work and training with Cavan Gaels.

I imagine so as I've been told he will be joining Kildare today

He won't be joining today anyway:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/cavan-star-johnston-poised-to-take-dra-route-in-bid-to-join-mcgeeneys-kildare-2990257.html
    Cavan footballer Seanie Johnston used an address in Straffan to correspond with Croke Park over his attempt to seek an inter-county transfer to Kildare last week, it has emerged.

Over the weekend Johnston, eager to switch to the Lilywhites having been dropped from the Breffni panel in October, met with officials of his club Cavan Gaels to urge them to support him with a case to the Disputes Resolution Authority in the coming days.

He has until Thursday to seek a DRA hearing, seven days on from his failure at Central Appeals level in Croke Park.

Johnston is believed to have had talks with Kildare manager Kieran McGeeney over a prospective move.

Naturally the acquisition of a talented forward like Johnston would appeal to McGeeney and align with his attempts to build a stronger squad in 2012, especially up front where real cutting edge has been a problem in the bigger games.

But so far Johnston has been unwilling to seek a transfer away from his club, with whom he has had so much success -- he was even captain of last year.

That may change, however, in the coming days if a club-backed DRA submission does not materialise.

"Any move to the DRA is a matter for the club now," he said. "I'm 27 now and I want to continue playing inter-county football but I don't want to leave my club. It's hugely important to me.

"But I'm resident in Kildare now and I'm surplus to requirements in Cavan. That much was clear from the 10-second conversation I had with the manager (Val Andrews) last October.

"But I still feel I have a lot to contribute at inter-county level. You only have short time at this level and I'd like to make it count."

Johnston submitted a letter to Croke Park prior to Christmas seeking an inter-county transfer on the basis that he had an address in Straffan in Kildare.

The request was turned down because it contravened GAA rules which require that a player can only play for a county if he is a native of it or plays with a club within that county. Residency is not sufficient.

In some cases, if one of the parents of the player comes from a particular county then the player can declare for that county. Cavan were able to bring Gareth Smith on board in 2009 through this facility despite the fact that he lived in Dublin and played with St Oliver Plunketts Eoghan Ruadh.

Johnston brought his case to the appeals committee on Wednesday night last and Croke Park are understood to have corresponded with him through his Straffan address. He works as a teacher in Breffni College in Cavan town.

The cost of a DRA hearing could be prohibitive for an individual. On top of the €1,000 submission fee there are legal fees to consider if a case against the GAA is lost, which could climb up to the region of €5,000 or beyond.

Johnston accepts that if there is no DRA hearing he would be faced with a stark choice -- to leave his club to pursue his inter-county dream.

"Someone else has made a decision to end my inter-county career. I respect a manager's right to make that decision. But does that mean that I have to cease being an inter-county player?" he asked.

"If there is no DRA move I have a decision to make then, one which I would make carefully after sitting down with people close to me.

"Some people will be annoyed with me in Cavan over my wish to move, but these are the circumstances I find myself in. I'm no longer a Cavan player."

The former DCU student, who spent Christmas in Australia, has been Cavan's highest-profile forward in recent years, but had a poor 2011 on the field for both club and county.

"I'd admit that I was poor, but I would add that it was one of Cavan's poorest seasons too," he said.

When Andrews was putting together a squad for 2012 last October, Johnston, his Cavan Gaels clubmate Micheal Lyng and Dermot Sheridan from Mullahoran were among the more established players omitted.

"The conversation to tell me I was surplus to requirements lasted no more than 10 seconds. I knew it was coming because Micheal Lyng, who is a friend of mine, also got the same call and was asked if he had my number," said Johnston.

"I wasn't looking for anything special but after nine seasons with the county I might have been entitled to a little more compassion."

Andrews could not be contacted last night.

It is not clear if Johnston's omission from the squad will remain for the entire season or if there will be an opportunity for him to return.

Cavan PRO Declan Woods believes it is not a matter for the board to comment on Johnston's appeal.

"The issue is for Croke Park really and how they deal with it. We're happy to leave it in their hands. Obviously we recognise the right of a manager we have appointed to make decision on team and squad selection as he or they see fit," said Woods.

There is a growing feeling that Johnston may be leaning towards a move away from Cavan Gaels to a club in Kildare, which would facilitate his objective.

Cavan Gaels continue to keep an open line of communication with the player and last night their chairman Michael Mooney expressed the desire that he would be back in a Cavan jersey soon.

"We've been discussing the situation with Seanie and we're working towards trying to find a solution," said Mooney. "Obviously we don't want to see one of our players leave the club or indeed the county."

Of how much benefit Johnston would be to Kildare -- who badly need to increase their goal ratio if they are to make that next step up and join Gaelic football's current elite -- is debatable. Even last Sunday in the O'Byrne Cup they dominated a game against Offaly but failed to score a goal.

They have no natural predatory goalscorer, but Johnston has never scored a championship goal with Cavan in eight seasons covering more than 20 appearances. He is, however, a prolific point scorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Reilly88

Can there be objections from transferring from a club in one county to another county club?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

If he is living and working in kildare and wants to play for kildare i think he should be allowed transfer..

Vast majority of the clowns that make these important transfer decisions at board level never played gaa ....

is he?:confused:

If he is living
    That's debateable from the looks of it.
    and working in kildare
    He's not. He still works in Cavan. So, as munchkin said, why on Earth would he work in Cavan yet live in Kildare, nearly two hours and three motorway tolls away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

If he really is that committed to Kildare then he deserves to play for them, but a man with that possesses and demonstrates that sort of unworldly motivation surely would be interested in proving he is deserving of getting his place back on the Cavan team you would think!

This is exactly what I think. He is 27, got dropped. Get on with it and prove the management wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Reilly88 wrote: »
    Can there be objections from transferring from a club in one county to another county club?
    heres the Inter County Transfer form that must be filled in.
    http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/club_transfers_and_sanctions/Inter_County_Transfer_Form_new_Jan2012.pdf

The prospective new candidate gets the form signed by the new club secretary and county secretary in that county and sends it into Croke Park.
    The "old" club and county then gets sent a reply form from Croke Park where they can make their objections within 10 days .

So yes, Cavan Gaels and Cavan County board can object to any transfer being made to a club outside the county but "A transfer can only be opposed on the grounds of illegality."
    From the official guide an inter county transfer "shall not be granted unless the player is in permanent residence in the new County"
    (section 6.9 page 67 here: http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/official_guides/Official_Guide_2011_Part_1.pdf)
    (so I read illegality = not permanently moved)

In this particular case, without knowing any more one might question if someone has "moved permanently" if he has a 5 day a week job in Cavan along with club committments that mean normally a 6th day at the weekend where he is in cavan training/ playing football.

Unless he has a girlfriend in Kildare on the go (or some other personal change of circumstance that backs up the claim of permanently changing his centre of interests to Kildare), its hard to believe he can argue that he spends the majority of his week in his new "permanent" base in Kildare when the majority of his waking hours 6 days a week are spent a 4 hour round trip away in Cavan town.

EDIT: I amn't saying he hasn't permanently moved and hasnt spent in the region of 1500 to 3000 euro on fuel and driven >20,000 km since September commuting to work. I dont know what evidence Seanie has for the DRA.
    I'm just interested in seeing how he argues/proves to the DRA that he has made this "permanent" move (noting the rule is past tense, as in you are already moved and not that you intend to soon) yet still as of now be active in Cavan Town 6 days a week between football and work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

Delighted to see this happening. Kildare are in a need for a top class forward and Seanie would be perfect. Talking to a few people today about it, a lot of people don't want him playing for Kildare, simply because he's not a Lily, wonder will they being saying that when he's kicking 5 points from play in a Leinster final? :)
    hon the Lilies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

Reilly88 wrote: »

Due to it being an inter county transfer, very little will get stopped.

I think the sticking points seems to be he doesn't want to leave his club Cavan Gaels.

If the above transpires to be true alot of effort moving county as opposed to fighting for a place in the Cavan team in saying that we don't know why he dropped etc and we all know he is a fine player.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Not delighted to see Cavan's best player of a generation wanting to leave, be it to abandon ship, not being wanted or, more likely, a bit of both.

That said, if he lines out for Kildare, coupled with Dermot Earley's return meaning Johnny Doyle could go back to his natural position in the full-forward line, suddenly the only real weakness of the Kildare team will look very good indeed. There's no county outside of my own I'd love to see win an All-Ireland more than Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Tombo2000

You know.....standing back from the messing around of where he lives or doesnt live....

It is a bit unfair that really great players are held back if their from a weak county....

There's another thread now about who's the best player of the past 25 years......who's to say for example that Dessie Dolan isnt any better than Oisin McConville or Padraig Joyce, when he hasnt had the same quality players around him.

You can say all you want about doing it for the love of the county; but the top players from lesser counties seem to disappear off the scene quicker than the top players from successful counties (Rory Gallagher, Tommy Freeman, Mattie Forde, Frankie Dolan to name a few)...and its not hard to see why.

I dont really blame him for wanting to play with the best and against the best, and no disrespect but he wont get that with Cavan. Counties with big populations win all-Irelands. Cavan had one of the biggest populations of any county back in the 1930s. it doesnt now.

It is good to see that a lot of Kildare people aren't too happy about this. I feel if this transfer goes through, it'll set a very dangerous precedent allowing top class players from teams not in contention for provincial and/or All Ireland honours to up and leave and declare for a stronger team.
    kildare9 wrote: »
    Delighted to see this happening. Kildare are in a need for a top class forward and Seanie would be perfect. Talking to a few people today about it, a lot of people don't want him playing for Kildare, simply because he's not a Lily, wonder will they being saying that when he's kicking 5 points from play in a Leinster final? smile.gif
    hon the Lilies
    So if the reverse happened and, say, Johnny Doyle decided he wanted to all of a sudden play for Dublin. Would you be OK with that?
    The GAA is not like soccer. You should not be allowed to switch counties unless you have permanently moved to that county, play for a local club and have a job nearby.

At this moment, I'm not convinced Johnston satisfies any of the above conditions.
    And before you ask, I would feel the exact same way if another county's player declared for the Meath footballers in the same manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

I think it's really bad form of Kildare GAA to be facilitating such a transfer request.

Seanie is no more entitled to play for Kildare than Gooch Cooper. Facilitating such a transfer is one short step from a professional transfer system, with addresses of convenience being used to circumvent any residency rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Gophur wrote: »
    I think it's really bad form of Kildare GAA to be facilitating such a transfer request.

Seanie is no more entitled to play for Kildare than Gooch Cooper. Facilitating such a transfer is one short step from a professional transfer system, with addresses of convenience being used to circumvent any residency rules.

Sure haven't Kildare got form here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Gophur wrote: »

Wouldn't agree with you there. He was told he wasn't wanted by Cavan and he still feels he has something to offer. What I can make out is he's the one who instigated the whole thing. If he's still good enough and puts the effort in I'm sure McGeeney will consider him. But, there's no guarantees he'll get his place.

Also don't think Kildare will be two worried considering Cork won two All Irelands with their best two players being Kildare men.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement