Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking oil??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

joe stodge wrote: »
    Does the car not have to be modified for that?

Most diesel cars will run on a 50/50 mix of diesel/vegoil without any modification. Older diesels will run on straight veg oil no problem ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    Jaysus you must do some cooking :eek:, i don't do a whole lot myself, but 2 bottles a year would do me!!!!

I do a lot of cooking, yes :D

I'd go through a bottle every 10 days or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Africans tend to fry a lot of things. Like in the aid videos they generally get a bag of rice and oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

Home heating oil tank- is it just an african thing? you related 200-300 bottle bought by africans to using it as heating oil. Are you sure that if it is possible we Irish wont do it? My point here is africans or irish or any one else is irrelavant to your query. And sorry no idea where would people use that many bottle if you are damn sure they are buying 200-300 bottles in one go. Retailing has got quite smarter these days, they might be sure about what they are doing, if not they might have already noticed it and should have decided what to do abt it if it doesnt help keep their customers happy.

May be best idea, like someone suggested before, is ask them in the store itself where you work rather than enjoying this thread that can be seen going in the direction of racial abuse.

May be best idea, like someone suggested before, is ask them in the store itself where you work rather than enjoying this thread that can be seen going in the direction of racial abuse.

Racial abuse? :rolleyes: If someone, or a group is African or whatever is it now "racist" to mention it? Get a grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Chucken wrote: »
    Why though?

When olive oil goes on offer in Lidl, I buy at least 50 bottles (for cooking)
    Does it really matter why people buy in bulk?

You really by 50 bottles for yourself:eek:
    Is there not an expiry date!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

veg oil is a preservative.

keep the bottle unopened it'll last indefinitely, especially in the dark

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Most diesel cars will run on a 50/50 mix of diesel/vegoil without any modification. Older diesels will run on straight veg oil no problem ;)

Partially true. That stuff needs to be preheated before induction into the fuel system or else there is hell to pay after a relatively short time. The likes of Proper, Horrible Old Land Rovers (PHOLR) can chug away on it "straight".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Home heating oil tank- is it just an african thing? you related 200-300 bottle bought by africans to using it as heating oil. Are you sure that if it is possible we Irish wont do it? My point here is africans or irish or any one else is irrelavant to your query. And sorry no idea where would people use that many bottle if you are damn sure they are buying 200-300 bottles in one go. Retailing has got quite smarter these days, they might be sure about what they are doing, if not they might have already noticed it and should have decided what to do abt it if it doesnt help keep their customers happy.

I read your post, and my mind was whisked away to my childhood, and all I could see was someone smashing the backs of their hands together, shouting "cleverrrrrrrr"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

jimgoose wrote: »
    Partially true. That stuff needs to be preheated before induction into the fuel system or else there is hell to pay after a relatively short time. The likes of Proper, Horrible Old Land Rovers (PHOLR) can chug away on it "straight".
    Patak's the curry people run all their delivery vans on the spent chapati fryer oil

We're a bit cool here (viscosity issues), but I know a guy in Cyprus who runs his landy on it untreated all year round.

• Advertisement

I do a lot of cooking, yes :D

I'd go through a bottle every 10 days or so.

^^^^^^
    pabloh999 wrote: »
    You really by 50 bottles for yourself:eek:
    Is there not an expiry date!?

The expiry date is usually about 2 years ahead. And its not just used to cook for myself! 5 adults, a teenager and a baby most times ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,199 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I thought olive oil deteriorates pretty quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

Maybe they all live together. Maybe they have only one pot. Maybe it's a very big pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

a local guy here bought a Peu 306 diesel from guy up north. The diesel pump gave up after the first week, then they discovered that the previous owner had done 90,000 miles using a blend of home heating oil and vegetable oil.

mickdw wrote: »
    I thought olive oil deteriorates pretty quickly

Generally speaking, olive oil is made every 2 years due to the biannual bearing pattern of olive trees. The "off" year harvest might only be 10% of a good crop, so those are used for the table (nibbles) Therefore, the life-expectancy of olive oil is generally taken to be two years. Of course it all depends on the quality of the oil and how it has been stored.

Old Carinas, Avensis TDs, Mercs, VWs etc will do fine on it without it being preheated. Basically anything with indirect injection. That said, It is better cut it with some diesel or a little white spirits to lower the viscosity. I know of an old Avensis TD that has been running on it for years without issue ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

I dont think thats quite true for Aldi /Lidl. They regularly have offers for 1 day..when they're gone, they're gone!
    The early bird etc...if I'm going to make sure I'm at the shop early to avail of the offer, I'm not too concerned about who arrives the next day complaining that they missed out.

I'd say they're gone fairly quick with you in there anyway :p

That is a weird one though OP, but you'll never know until you ask them.

Maybe they're having slippery oil fights...... with sexy results ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Taxi drivers I reackon,word of mouth amongst themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

I doubt it's for a car, we stock the at a lower cost than diesel everyday. But it's only when it's around the €1 to 1 liter mark is when it is bought in such quantities.

If it was being used to fuel cars would there not be lads of other races in buying it? It's only ever African lads although that being said you tend to notice what special will attract what crowd, cheap vine tomatoes for Eastern Europeans and cheap orange juice/cranberry juice old age pensioners.

I can understand both examples above because those products will be eaten/drank, but the cooking oil just baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Honey-ec wrote: »
    In the meantime his regular customers are getting pissed off because they've popped in for a couple of days in a row to get a bottle of cooking oil, and it's out of stock. This happens often enough, they'll eventually just shop elsewhere. After a while, the special offer on the oil ends and the bulk-buyers disappear, but the shopkeeper has lost a rake of regular customers for good.
    I think its far more likely that the regulars would just buy another brand or size of oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

joe stodge wrote: »
    I doubt it's for a car, we stock the at a lower cost than diesel everyday. But it's only when it's around the €1 to 1 liter mark is when it is bought in such quantities.

If it was being used to fuel cars would there not be lads of other races in buying it? It's only ever African lads although that being said you tend to notice what special will attract what crowd, cheap vine tomatoes for Eastern Europeans and cheap orange juice/cranberry juice old age pensioners.

I can understand both examples above because those products will be eaten/drank, but the cooking oil just baffles me.
    Maybe another retailer is cheaper until you reduce it to the €1 mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Well why doesnt your shop limit the number per customer. Like maybe 4 bottles per customer or something? When i used to live in Canada people over there used to do crazy bulk buying. I remeber my local supermarket had a special on tropicana at 99 cents per 4 liter bottle. People started to bulk buy it i seen people going round with a box of 20 bottles in their trollys other customers started to get upset as they could not avail of the offer and would just then run off to wal-mart which was next door. The store then put a limit on 2 bottles per customer.

Advertisement