Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we bring back hanging for the likes of these people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Murdering citizens on behalf of the state? I couldn't support that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I think it's fair to say the rapist is worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

vicwatson wrote: »
    I don't know which is worse the judge or the rapist in this case
    I have a problem with concurrent sentencing too, but seriously, what a ridiculous statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I have a problem with concurrent sentencing too, but seriously, what a ridiculous statement.

It had been amended:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭gerarda

Maybe we could copy the brits?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,478 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It had been amended:rolleyes:
    A concurrent sentence, I don't know which is worse the judges sentence or the rapist in this case
    still sounds ****ing ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Norfolk Enchants

Does he deserve more punishment for what he done, the judge asked before handing down a concurrent running sentence.

Evidently not, Judge Nolan. Evidently not.

Rape is seriously underreported in this country (worldwide, actually). Lenient sentencing like this, is one of the factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Overheal wrote: »
    still sounds ****ing ridiculous.

Maybe you don't understand, I'll explain, it's obvious the judge didn't see it fit to give him a consecutive sentence so perhaps the judge is just as bad as he has essentially condoned the actions of the guilty by not giving him any more time in prison.

It's infact not as ridiculous as you think
    “Does he deserve more punishment for what he has done?” Judge Nolan asked before he said he has decided not to extend his stay in prison and jailed him for two years concurrent to the sentence he is serving for rape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Rape is seriously underreported in this country (worldwide, actually). Lenient sentencing like this, is one of the factors.

How do you know it's under-reported if it's not reported?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Maybe you don't understand, I'll explain, it's obvious the judge didn't see it fit to give him a consecutive sentence so perhaps the judge is just as bad as he has essentially condoned the actions of the guilty by not giving him any more time in prison.

It's infact not as ridiculous as you think

Except the judge isn't as bad because he hasn't, as far as we are aware, actually raped someone.

Capital punishment has little or no deterrent effect on crime - just take a look at the crime rates in countries where it is practiced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

But it's alright for the State to kidnap citizens without fear of retribution or for the Gardaí to extort money from citizen motorists for wrong doing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I could

• Registered Users Posts: 81,478 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How do you know it's under-reported if it's not reported?
    I know, albeit vaguely, of at least one child molestation incident in an Irish family from a generation or two back. Not reported, keep it in the family, bla bla bla - he'll just be that Uncle you don't let alone with the kids.. I'm sure plenty of other people out there can attest to knowing of situations where the people involved, for whatever reasons, don't want to get authorities involved. My cousin was raped and I'm not sure if it was ever reported, so it won't show up on any statistic. Her dad did summarily beat the living **** out of the kid though. However, I don't think that assault showed up on any statistics either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

A concurrent sentence, I don't know which is worse the judges sentence or the rapist in this case

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/rapist-sentenced-for-having-sex-with-teenage-girlfriend-in-public-park-29320036.html

Statutory rapist, i think they meant.:rolleyes:

...of the latest case I MUST add - oops

• Moderators Posts: 51,702 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

rockbeast wrote: »
    Statutory rapist, i think they meant.:rolleyes:

...of the latest case I MUST add - oops

From the article.
    She later told gardaí that she was afraid of her boyfriend. They had sex in an area hidden by trees. She started to cry, telling the man she didn’t want to do it.

He continued to have sex with her, while he held her arms down on the ground.
    The girl didn't consent, that makes it rape irrespective of the statutory rape charge.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Except the judge isn't as bad because he hasn't, as far as we are aware, actually raped someone.

Capital punishment has little or no deterrent effect on crime - just take a look at the crime rates in countries where it is practiced.

BUt by not giving correct sentences and handing out lenient slaps on the wrist the guys with 20+ convictions never learn.

So if offender kills somebody for his 21st conviction, then yes I blame the judical system from judge, lawyer to court clerks psychologists and everybody in between that is making money associated with court costs and proceedings....that you are paying for, but hey judges need criminals cos criminals pay for the upkeep of the villa in Marbella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

koth wrote: »
    From the article.

The girl didn't consent, that makes it rape irrespective of the statutory rape charge.

edited my post as f'd up with scan - apologies...

Just caught this extract...

"Sgt Greene said the girl initially refused but the man pressured her and continued to ask her saying “just come on”. She finally consented."

Apologies.

but to OP: no hanging please...

Advertisement