Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John Murray Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I dont think Murray will last long with this show, I'm reduced to tuning to Tubs who is a pain in the a*** on the radio.
    He is so full of himself its unreal. Oh I forgot the telephone no., its my first day pass the sick bag.

Thank goodness PK is on after the 10 news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think it's significant that nobody has commented on The Show Murray Show thread since Dec 1st 2010, until yesterday... I just cant get in to his style, and both the ads and the theme music are constant irritants...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭telekon

Its all a bit...meh, really. It flys just below the radar so that noone talks about it or has opinions on it.

Its averagely grand like.

• Advertisement

telekon wrote: »
    Its all a bit...meh, really. It flys just below the radar so that noone talks about it or has opinions on it.

Its averagely grand like.

Be honest, it's a load of shyte.

Be honest, it's a load of shyte.

Wouldnt go that far as I'm so non-plussed about it. I reserve the term shyte for Tubridy's show.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It never even occurs to me to tune in. More the pity is that I never think to tune into G. Lee doing the Business show on Saturday.
    Congratulations RTE you created to black holes with just a spot of bad programming. They should be working on the Large Hadro Collider in Cern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

I don't dislike John Murray and listened in initially but have no inclination to listen now, even at the start just to hear what's coming up on the show.

It's just.........there. It doesn't really register as something to listen to.

Actually, when thinking about it, I would be listening to his show if the Newstalk Breakfast show hadn't been extended by an hour.

His show seems to lie somewhere between current affairs and soft puffball pieces and that doesnt sit well with me.

But lets get this straight, he is far superior to Tubridy or D'Arcy. Tubridy's an idiot and the Ray D'Arcy Show is a show for idiots.

Will Ray go through with his threat to leave the country when Enda is Taoiseach in 7 weeks time? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

telekon wrote: »
    Actually, when thinking about it, I would be listening to his show if the Newstalk Breakfast show hadn't been extended by an hour.

His show seems to lie somewhere between current affairs and soft puffball pieces and that doesnt sit well with me.

But lets get this straight, he is far superior to Tubridy or D'Arcy. Tubridy's an idiot and the Ray D'Arcy Show is a show for idiots.

Will Ray go through with his threat to leave the country when Enda is Taoiseach in 7 weeks time? :rolleyes:

Couldnt agree with you more. I detest Darcy and his stupid opinions. Please go now Ray, you wont be missed and bring that Jennie with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

I heard his interview with Brendan Balfe this morning.

Balfe admitted that he was devastated at having to retire at 65 and that he's very disappointed at RTE saying to him that there was no where for him in their schedule, to come back in as a contractor. He was with RTE from 18 years of age, contractor then employee in his latter years.

He's obviously bitter about it....although he wouldn't use that word when pressed.....and who can blame him, when you look at some of the dreadful broadcasters that RTE radio have in their ranks.

I'm surprised that no other station has offered him something, he's a real pro. Perhaps 4FM, although they think that Gareth O'Callagh'sham is worth employing. :rolleyes:

It must add to his frustration when he sees some of the vegetables working on radio today.

Cole wrote: »

For some reason I had John Murray on too this morning (wtf?! :confused:) and also heard this interview. It was excellent.

I could listen to Brendan's velvet tones all day long...best voice on the radio bar none.:)

Its disgusting how someone of his talent (Brendan made some truly excellent programmes utilising the RTE archives, apparently he knows them inside out) is forced to retire while the career of Ryan Tubridy, with his limited ability and appeal, continues to flourish for no good reason out in Montrose. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Cole wrote: »

Balfe admitted that he was devastated at having to retire at 65 and that he's very disappointed at RTE saying to him that there was no where for him in their schedule, to come back in as a contractor. He was with RTE from 18 years of age, contractor then employee in his latter years.

It seems to me that Brendan Balfe has been a spare part for a long time in RTE. He only ever seemed to get rolled out on bank holidays or to fill in for presenters who were on holidays. If I was him, I'd have been pretty peed off with RTE for the past couple of decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bobba Fett

The whole show is coming from New York for the week of St Patrick's Day. What a joke, in these tight times to be sending a team of people to America to present what is, in my opinion, a sub par show from some Irish bar in New York.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Jesus, no wonder rte is strapped for cash!

I mean radio is not really the medium for broadcasting from a specific place just for the fun of it.

After a recent business to nyc I saw how the old expenses can add up. Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Chances are it will be sponsored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I've just thought of what the John Murray Show reminds me of, it's like a cross between two 1970's TV shows; Dads Army (awful puns and military metaphors like "batten down the hatches") and It's a Knockout (physical challenges and forced giddiness).

In a 25 million loss making organisation, how can RTE justify sending John Murray to New York..... No atmosphere, or possibly the sort of atmosphere you would expect in any city at 6am (starting time of the show).. And the only other person who seemed to be awake in NY was George Murphy...

You really would wonder how they think it's a good idea to send a poor presenter to New York, when they wont even bring golden boy in to RTE studios from up the road.. :confused:

Did anybody hear the intro this morning.. "Howya Portugal and welcome to the club" followed by a really bad impression of Ollie Rehn and a load of cheesy soundbites from his PC (which he managed to fuk up).. He really is awful at this..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Never listen to him, NT Brekkie Extra all the way. Funny thing is I've stopped listening to the 7-9 am main section as its too light.

Did anybody hear the intro this morning.. "Howya Portugal and welcome to the club" followed by a really bad impression of Ollie Rehn and a load of cheesy soundbites from his PC (which he managed to fuk up).. He really is awful at this..

In the interview with the young wan, he floundered for about 20 minutes.

Wreck of a programme.

Yeah I heard bits of it as well, Flut... but it was really the intro that got to me.. it sounded like something a secondary student would put together for a project.. When he filled in for Marian Finucane last year I thought he was good, but he's still trying to be a comedian...

Another RTE square peg in a round hole...
    John Murray cast (apparently) as a comedian :confused:
    Tubridy cast as light entertainment :confused:

They should have left Tubridy where he was (9am-10am on Radio One), left Murray where he was (The Business Show).. and got somebody new for the Gerry Ryan slot..

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Murray is quite a good broadcaster but he should've been left on Morning Ireland and The Business while Pat Kenny, who offered to start at 9am, should've had his wish granted.

Big Tone wrote: »
    Murray is quite a good broadcaster but he should've been left on Morning Ireland and The Business while Pat Kenny, who offered to start at 9am, should've had his wish granted.

He is in his bollox, boring Doob accent, and the spontaneity of a lung shot ox.

He had an interview with a mother and a daughter who had a baby recently.

young Shannon.

Murray floundered like a beached walrus throughout the interview. Didn't know what to say, didn't know who to address the questions to, floundered throughout the whole episode, despite obvious prompting in his earpiece.

Tubridy would have eased through that interview as smooth as silk and seamlessly would have integrated everything into a smooth performance, and an interesting programme.

Murray was staccato and stiff and out of his depth.

Useless and lightweight broadcaster who should go back to what he is best at, PR or Press Officer for some left wing Political party.

Absolute rubbish.

Was anyone listening today with the replacement presenter(don't know her name)?

Presenter:"Call in if you are between 40 and 60.. " then to producer "Should we not leave this until John Murray gets back".... Few seconds silence, and she continues reading out.

Very unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

syklops wrote: »
    Was anyone listening today with the replacement presenter(don't know her name)?

Presenter:"Call in if you are between 40 and 60.. " then to producer "Should we not leave this until John Murray gets back".... Few seconds silence, and she continues reading out.

Very unprofessional.

It was no more than a mild jest: Kathryn Thomas (the stand-in) is in her early thirties, and was suggesting that Murray might be better qualified to deal with content targeted for people aged between 40 and 60.

We were intended to hear it, and the pause to give us a chance to get the joke was far less than a few seconds -- apparently not long enough.

Ok, I didnt pick up on it being a joke, but you're explanation makes sense.

Did anybody here John's "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" thing this morning.. how can he this this stuff is funny.. Like was said above, he was good at the business stuff, he's awful at comedy... Why oh why did RTE move him???

• Advertisement

Nope, soon as I hear that dreadful Doob accent, I switch her off till 1000.

Advertisement