Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Exercise

Options
  • 20-03-2009 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

My OH is away for 3 weeks and I'm finding it a bit hard to give Harley the exercise he is used to.

About 2 months ago, we cut out the dog minder as either I or my OH was here for most of the day and it was working very well. When he booked his trip, I contacted the old minder who told me she has gone back to work full time and so can't do it.

Now it's only 3 weeks, so the time alone during the day (4-6hours 3 days a week), while not ideal, is not a huge concern, however his energy levels are HUGE! OH used to bring him out at a certain time and would usually bump into a man with his two dogs, one being a boxer the same age as harley so he burnt off his energy playing, then a gentle walk for a while with me in the evening and he'd be fine, relaxed, happy, obedient.

I have been bringing him out for 20-30 mins in the mornings then again for at least an hour in the evenings, walking for ages, playing fetch etc but I can't seem to tire him out. He's constantly hyper, being very very disobedient to the point of barking at me if I say "NO" (It's adorable but he doesn't know I think that) and he just seems wired, he needs a good energy release.

Any suggestions? He gets bored of fetch quickly and there is a limit to how long I can walk for! How woud you suggest I help him burn off this energy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Just a thought - could his behaviour be a reaction to your OH's absence? Especially as he was used to being walked by your OH? I know it is always risky to anthropomorphise but maybe it's a bit like Dad taking the kids for a day & getting constant "but we don't do that with Mum... " "Mum lets us do ....", etc?

Ideas for burning off energy - stuffed Kongs, especially when he is being left for a bit. Make them up so that he really has to work at them.

Obedience training - mental stimulation can be as tiring for dogs as physical exercise.

Tennis racquet, ball & large field/park - assuming he will bring the ball back & you won't be chasing him around the place.

Easter holidays coming up - is there a reliable local teenager who could walk him during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Are you sure that he isn't taking liberties whilst "pack leader" is not there ?.

Anyway you will need him to fight off the queue of men who will read this & head for your place !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yes the kong I use, cream cheese and sausage takes him ages to get out. I've tried a pigs ear to occupy him too. Best I've found so far is a knuckle keeps him quiet for ages. But it's still not really burning energy for him.

I have one of those ball throwing arms and he loves it for ten mins then gets bored.

I was thinking of obedience training, I would love to do it, but simply can't afford it at the moment. There is a new course starting in April that I'll try get the money together for though, I think he'd do very well.

He could very well be reacting to K being gone, I'm not sure who pack leader is seen to be. But either way it's a change in his routine so he's likely feeling a bit insecure.

DD if this queue of men want to walk my dog thats fine wit me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Isn't Harvey a Staffie X?.

Would you consider a spring pole for him?.

My two love it.

Not my dog, I won't post pix or vids of my guys here again. But the bull breeds love their spring poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Helena I would be a little careful to ensure that he doesn't "play up" in order to get a treat. There is one solution - get him a friend !. I was a one dog man but now I would always have two - it's much easier.

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote: »
    Isn't Harvey a Staffie X?.

He's a staffie x lab.
    Discodog wrote: »
    Helena I would be a little careful to ensure that he doesn't "play up" in order to get a treat. There is one solution - get him a friend !. I was a one dog man but now I would always have two - it's much easier.
    :D I think I would end up alone for a lot longer than 3 weeks if I was to do that.

I have started driving to my parents in the evenings to let him run around with my dads dog. But it's about 45 mins each way. Although it's not too bad on the good evenings I suppose. :)

EDIT: He also bit me today while playing, he hasn't done that since he was a small puppy. No breaking the skin or anything, but it was bloody sore. He's testing the waters I think so I'll just have to be very strict with him for a while. Let him know for certain I'm in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Is there any other dog walkers in the area that could help share the load for a couple of weeks. Perhaps the local vets or dog groomer might know of someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Where are you based, Helena?

There's nobody GPR, I checked when I first got him, I got the minder I had as a last resort (I wasn't really happy with her at all).

I'm in Kildare. Parents are in Kilkenny, it's a bit of a drive, and he's learning what his "manly bits" are for and my dad has a bitch, so it's a bit of hassle coming down. :eek:

Advertisement