Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Energy/Fatigue

Options
  • 29-09-2014 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Someone may be able to help me with this.

I am trying to improve my lifestyle and general health at the moment. Joined a gym, improved diet.

I wake at 6.30 every week day morning, and drive 55km to work. In the evening, I do the same journey home.

I find that a lot of the time, i am absolutely WRECKED on the journey home. Seriously, there have been plenty of times when I can't remember the last few kilometres home. It's scary enough.

Also, it makes me skip so many gym sessions (I joined a gym primarily as it was on my commute route) as I am just so bloody tired by the time I drive home.

So, I was wondering, if there is any lunch recommendations/drink/supplements that will help me becoming so fatigued at around 5/5.30. It's awful, when I do get home, all I'm fit for is the couch for 20 minutes nap.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

What's your diet like, do you drink much water?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

And how much sleep do you get?

Suggesting something to get you over that evening hump is only going to mask something fundamental that should re addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

My water intake is something I definitely need to increase.

I also don't sleep very well. My OH often says that I had a very restless sleep, and I'd agree.

As regards diet, some weeks are quite good - porridge for breakfast, an apple at 11 am, a sandwich or soup for lunch. Dinner varies quite a bit, fish/chicken with potatoes/sweet potatoes/butternut squash, or chicken stir fry with plenty of veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

chases0102 wrote: »
    My water intake is something I definitely need to increase.

I also don't sleep very well. My OH often says that I had a very restless sleep, and I'd agree.

As regards diet, some weeks are quite good - porridge for breakfast, an apple at 11 am, a sandwich or soup for lunch. Dinner varies quite a bit, fish/chicken with potatoes/sweet potatoes/butternut squash, or chicken stir fry with plenty of veg.

Whilst I could nitpick on the diet, on the whole, it's not the worst. The first thing i'd perhaps focus on is replacing that sandwich. Getting more good quality fat in. From what I see, there's little fat in there. Maybe adding a little protein / fat to the porridge. Do you eat breakfast in the house? If so - microwave and eggs are also a great option. They will keep you going on the way to work. One of my go-to breakfasts when I have 6/7 minutes before I need to leave the apartment is microwave 3/4 eggs add some seasoning and some grated cheddar. If you want, you can have some oatcakes/rice cakes to accompany it. Keep you full for hours.

More importantly here though is sleep as Alf said. The difference between good quality sleep and restless sleep is quite big. A sleep dept is not something you can payback so you need to focus on doing things to improve on that. Stepping away from laptops / phone / TV 30/45/60 minutes before bed will help if you have a tendency to be on these things right before sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

if you are up at 6.30 then you need to be asleep by 10.30

thats why i do anyway and i have loads of energy until around 9pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My alarm goes off at 5.45 and I get up then or at 6. The ONLY way I can do this 5-7 days a week (very young kids who wake early at the weekends!) is to be in bed by 10pm at the latest with lights out by 10.30 max most nights.

I cut out carbs a few months ago and I've felt much better for it. The big difference is that I'm not exhausted and starving by 5.30. I eat a big lunch of protein and veg/salad and that usually keeps me going until I eat my dinner at 7.30-8.

Almonds are a handy snack and are enough to keep the hunger at bay so I'd have a handful if I feel peckish. Apples make me hungrier so I don't bring them as a between meals snack anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I have a very hectic lifestyle, I work two jobs so could be on the go for up to 14 hours 2-3 days a week. My average sleep would be 6-7 hours, 8 is a miracle. I take spirulina and find it makes a huge difference to my energy levels. I take three tablets with breakfast. I also take a multi vitamin tablet with iron - I've found that also helps.

Also like the others said sort out the sleep. Poor quality sleep leaves you feeling awful as soon as you get up. having a routine for during the week is a good idea. personally I take a magnesium supplement and I have found that as well as reducing the foot cramps I used to get a lot it also really helps me to sleep so that even if I only get 7 hours its a good seven hours.

Advertisement