Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

wonder is he really back or is it a Rocky-esque return..

Finally Orestes has come back to boards.ie PW, and he is never leaving again...see you in several months when im *hiccing* again

Still over in the land of tulips & Cannabis? planning to head to Amsterdam and a few other spots (London, Paris, Home) with the missus in a few months.

I left the Dam early this year, was in Prague up until the start of the month. Im back in Ireland for the winter so thought Id come onto boards to see what I missed in the homeland while I was away and stumbled into PW out of force of *hic*ing habit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Watched the Expendables 2 tonight. Seeing Stallone, Schwarnegger, Willis and Norris in the same action scene was fcuking awesome. That alone was worth the amount it must have cost to make.

The music whenever Chuck Norris appeared was awesome too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

****ing eejits on the road.

Was turning out of my estate. Two cars coming from my right. Both start indicating to turn in, so I start to pull out, as I've done countless times. Second car, despite indicating, changes his mind at the last second. Only for the fact my car stuttered, he'd have crashed head first into the driver side of the car. There's no other turn in near the entrance either, so it's not as if I misread his indicator. He switched it on to come in the gate I was going out then just kept moving.

Gave me a scare.
    Best tip my driving instructor ever gave me was to never trust an indicator. Only got my test myself in the last six months and still getting the odd "heart in mouth" moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Defo agree with that Pete.

DTA on the road. EVER.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DJKendo

Hi Folks

Is CM Punk: Best in the World Blu-Ray available here yet? Gamestop and Xtra Vision haven't even heard of it :/

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

DJKendo wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Is CM Punk: Best in the World Blu-Ray available here yet? Gamestop and Xtra Vision haven't even heard of it :/

Thanks

HMV. Gamestop don't get dvds unless someone traded it on, and Xtra-Vision tend to usually just stick to some of the PPV dvds nowadays. It's definitely available in HMV though, unless sold out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Best tip my driving instructor ever gave me was to never trust an indicator. Only got my test myself in the last six months and still getting the odd "heart in mouth" moment.

Funny enough, my instructor told me you've got to trust it most of the time.

Especially at my entrance, if you don't, you'll be stuck there for hours :P

Oh beautiful waitress at my favorite restaurant, you wink at me with the greatest smile I've ever seen and give me hope, but wear a wedding ring :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

From contradicting driving instructors to possible adultery. Absolutely no in-ring psychology here.

Grab a hold while I teach you about the bizness.

See, it's what happens when you idolize this man...

tumblr_m1nx2aQaSy1qzti1ao1_400.jpg

It's all road rage and women. WOOOOOOO!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Another mass school shooting in the states. 28 dead so far. Surely gun laws over there will be changed or at least challenged now.

• Advertisement

Tinie wrote: »
    Another mass school shooting in the states. 28 dead so far. Surely gun laws over there will be changed or at least challenged now.

The conspiracy theory forum will be having a field day. Some of the regulars will be all over this and blame Obama.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Horrific news from Connecticut. Really very sad. Not nearly enough time since Dark Knight Rises' tragedy and the narrowly averted Twilight shooting. As much as the topic of gun control is relevant, national mental health care needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Between 18 and 22 kids dead so far in a Elementary school :( RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Between 18 and 22 kids dead so far in a Elementary school :( RIP

An elementary school, jesus thats so sad.

If anything, you'll see some groups calling for teachers to be armed before they call for controlled gun laws.

Americans are crazy about their gun laws and what they (wrongly) consider to be their rights as Americans....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

jaykhunter wrote: »
    narrowly averted Twilight shooting.

What happened there?

The shooter was only 20 and a father of one of the kids in the school. More reports are saying one of the first victims was his mother who was a teacher at the school.

Its fcuked up because its way too close to christmas for this shít. Not that any time is ok for it, but these kids dont get a christmas now and their families need to go through this now?
    What a complete and utter gobshíte and a d!ckhead. :mad::mad:

Sorry for the rant. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    The conspiracy theory forum will be having a field day. Some of the regulars will be all over this and blame Obama.

Used to mod there. Even without looking at the forum I can tell they're probably saying it was organised by Obama in order to make new restrictive gun laws. Same as when the Aurora shootings at the Dark Knight Rises.

An absolute tragedy. Hard to know what goes through the minds of some people, and what drives them to these sorts of acts.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ugh, please let's end the conspiracy theorists chatter, cheapening the tragedy. :mad: Let's just focus on the victims. Yeah as CM said, ruining so people's lives this close to Christmas is even worse. :(
    CMpunked wrote: »
    What happened there?

A scumbag from Missouri admitted to planning to shoot up a movie theatre when the latest Twilight film came out. He was intercepted & detained by police after his mom called it in (he had secretly bought some guns). He bought 2 assault rifles, 400 rounds and a ticket to a Sunday screening of the movie. (You can read the full article here.). Very lucky she did.

I imagine these psychopaths have deep emotional & mental problems. Doesn't excuse what was done. Why not just kill yourself, why do you have to take so many others? :(

It won't get as much attention, but a guy also went into a school in China and started stabbing kids. 22 hurt, but don't see much about any deaths.

http://blogs.voanews.com/breaking-news/2012/12/14/man-stabs-22-children-at-chinese-elementary-school/

I don't get the mindset of these people, especially as a teacher myself. Just crazy, horrible people...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Soooo incredibily messed up. Dunno what could drive someone to kill so many innocent people, especially children. I seriously couldn't imagine what the parents are going through now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

gnfnrhead wrote: »

I think the mayan calendar have the attention adequately diverted. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I can't comprehend it either, to kill an innocent child must be the worst crime a person can commit. What goes on in these people's heads? I know with some people a circumstance or event triggers the meltdown. Others are born with psychotic tendencies. The problem with a psychopath is that they appear normal in every other sense and symptoms aren't always easy to detect.

I know there will be massive outcry for gun control and mental checks but unfortunately this is a horrible factor of society (mostly American TBF) where an outcast seeks retribution. Would you arrest every loner in school? Also in vunerable situations like this if it wasn't a gun it would be something else. Evil people are always going to be around. Media attention to these things is out of hand too. Talking to small children and interviewing them about cold blooded killings in front of them is absolutely disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What angers me about these atrocities is that you know this won't be the last one. The pro-gun elements in the States are too powerful and neither the Democrats or Republicans have the courage to try and instigate change for fear of losing votes.

I was reminded of this Saturday Night parody of one of the Presidential debates where a voter asks about their stance on gun laws.

See 8:09:

I hope I'm wrong but I get the feeling they will just wind up bringing in some measure to limit assault rifles but still make handguns and the likes freely available which won't solve the problem.

It's frightening to me that a society can enable its own citizens the constitutional right to carry a deadly weapon. Right? it should be a privilege. No one would want citizens having a right to drive a car. It should be something one has to earn because in the wrong hands it can be dangerous.

Anyway, I can't see any of these kinds of arguments getting through or having any effect.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

RIP to the victims. It is really, really sad.

I think the biggest issue is that of medication, anti-depressants, which Americans are encouraged to take at a young age and end up getting addicted to. There is some evidence that long term use damages the frontal lobe, which as we know here from the story of Chris Benoit (who's multiple concussions damaged the frontal lobe), can cause people to do the most terrible things.

There are many examples:

http://www.cchrint.org/tag/columbine/

It would help to explain why these things are more common in the USA, than anywhere else.

Anyway, the most important thing here is the Victims, not the perpetrator - it really is a terrible tragedy. :(

Bad weekend already but then to find out the great Paidí Ó Sé died is awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Checks football results........oh just fu<k off Liverpool at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

GTR63 wrote: »
    Complete and utter shambles at thus stsge. A club going nowhere.

RIP Paidi. Absolute hero of a man

GTR63 wrote: »

Doesn't matter how badly Arsenal are doing, just need to look at Liverpool and get cheered up :pac:

• Advertisement

Add defeats for Ulster and Leinster to that bad weekend list. Only thing left is for Joe Canning to quit the hurling team at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement