Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

steak sandwich

Options
  • 10-03-2015 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a recipe for a steak sandwich please, be a tasty evening feed after work

anyone got anything to recommend ?

veg wise, I guess sweetcorn, mushrooms, tomatoes ?

and bread instead of chips ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Crusty bread roll halved with cream cheese spread on the bottom & your choice of mustard (eg, Colman's, Dijon, etc.) spread on the top. Then slices of fried steak seasoned with salt & pepper, & topped with caramelised onions & fried mushrooms.

Alternatively, leave out the cream cheese & just butter the bottom half of the roll, otherwise make as described above. However, pop a few slices of whatever cheese you like on top of the steak, onions & mushies - pop under the grill for a few minutes to melt before you pop the top half of the roll on.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

Make the shooter's sandwich
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gallery/2010/apr/07/how-to-make-shooters-sandwich

It's absolutely delicious. There are loads of variations, with cheese, where you cook it in the oven after compression, with other meats, but I made this recipe and it was to die for. Definitely have it with pickle, and a pint of ale if you're so-inclined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Ciabatta for me for the bread.

Then sirloin or striploin - make sure it's at room temp before cooking then season it with pepper and salt and on to a hot skillet and turn it constantly until cooked (doesn't take long for me as I like it blood rare :) )

Veg wise - carmelised onions and mushroom (fried in a bit of butter and garlic with the juice from the skillet added when the steak is cooked)

I also tend to let the steak rest after cooking.

Usually when I assemble it the steak goes on a bed of peppery rocket with the onions and mushrooms on top.

Sweet potato or ordinary potato wedges to go with it.

........and having typed all that - I've now decided what's for dinner tonight!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

uberalex wrote: »
    Make the shooter's sandwich
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gallery/2010/apr/07/how-to-make-shooters-sandwich

It's absolutely delicious. There are loads of variations, with cheese, where you cook it in the oven after compression, with other meats, but I made this recipe and it was to die for. Definitely have it with pickle, and a pint of ale if you're so-inclined.

Wow that looks amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Caramelise onions
    Get sirloin or rib eye in lidl (doesn't have to be the aged vac packed one)
    Place in freezer for about 1 hour. Slice as thin as you can when partially frozen. Salt beef about 1 hour before cooking. Heat pan with oil to highest setting. Cook beef in batches for 1 min each.
    Spread whatever sauce you like on crusty rolls (horseradish is nice)
    Add beef and onions and top with American cheese. Place under grill for a minute. Best sandwich ever. Has to be american cheese by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

+1 for ciabatta. Slice it open, sit it in the meat juices and let it soak up some steaky goodness! Yum.

Steak, crispy onions, mushrooms and a little garlic mayo. My go-to sambo.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

This is processed crap but by god is it delicious. Its available in most tescos, dunnes, supervalu etc.
    take no notice of the recipe here. I only linked to show the product

http://www.maggi.co.uk/meal-ideas/so-sizzling/caramelised-red-onion-steak/

i usually use rib eye and rub in a bit of cracked pepper and soak it in a tiny bit of light soy sauce for a few hours. Slice it as thin as you can.
    Cook pretty much as per pack instructions and pop in whatever else you like when the beef goes in after the onion is done. I usually just use mushroom with the onion and beef.
    Cut open a ciabata and pop in a bit of lettuce and any cheese you like and enjoy. Works well in a wrap too.

Supervalu have most steaks at 33% off tomorrow to sunday so ill be having this over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Where can one get american cheese?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Swampy wrote: »

I've got Monterrey Jack from Fallon & Byrne in the past.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Well, this thread has inspired me to make steak sandwiches this evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Swampy wrote: »

If you're looking for the processed melty kind, I believe the Lidl version of Easi Singles is the solution :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Made this last night after reading this thread, the carmelised onions were something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Tries a little too hard to be funny/cool sometimes, but he does make some good street food including this here sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Random addition - Edam cheese.

Added this to a steak sandwich recently, for no reason other than I had it in the fridge. And it was wow.

I had some part-baked rolls, finished them in the oven, while frying up peppers, onions and steak. Put them onto the now cooked rolls, added a splash of tomato sauce, topped off with the edam, served with chunky chips out of the air-fryer, damn nice. All washed down with a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Random addition - Edam cheese.

Added this to a steak sandwich recently, for no reason other than I had it in the fridge. And it was wow.

I had some part-baked rolls, finished them in the oven, while frying up peppers, onions and steak. Put them onto the now cooked rolls, added a splash of tomato sauce, topped off with the edam, served with chunky chips out of the air-fryer, damn nice. All washed down with a beer.

To make a steak sandwich into a meal whats the best thing to add

Is there really an alternative to chips ?

Rice/Noodles doesn't really go dose it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Rice & noodle would be a no-no for me. An alternative to chips would be sautéed potatoes maybe with some thyme & garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

Rice & noodle would be a no-no for me. An alternative to chips would be sautéed potatoes maybe with some thyme & garlic.

Or sauteed potato and a little bit of chorizo cut up small. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Green beans with bacon!
    or grilled asparagus,
    etc, etc. vegetables can make great side dishes for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

aidanki wrote: »
    Im looking for a recipe for a steak sandwich please, be a tasty evening feed after work

anyone got anything to recommend ?

veg wise, I guess sweetcorn, mushrooms, tomatoes ?

and bread instead of chips ?
    Jamie Oliver does a great steak sandwich in either 15 / 30 min meals book / show. Really tasty but Can't remember exactly what was in it. Prob took longer than was supposed to take!!!

Advertisement