Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Frying pans that don't wobble...

Options
  • 22-02-2015 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

We're about to replace another frying pan whose base has warped. Is there such a thing as a type of pan that doesn't do this?

Edit: We've had Tefal and another brand, both non-stick, both have had an occasional spin under the grill.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

What type ones are you using that warp?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

Could be they way you're using it? Rapid temperature changes might cause warping such as if you were to throw cold water into it after cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Prenderb wrote: »
    We're about to replace another frying pan whose base has warped. Is there such a thing as a type of pan that doesn't do this?

I have a cast iron pan I bought years ago, it will outlive me and they are great to cook on really dissipate the heat well.

Le Creuset have an outlet store in Kildare Village, they do a lot of cast iron stuff.

I bought mine in Kitchen Complements - long time ago and the only reasonably priced thing I've ever seen in there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I've had tefal, ikea and aldi pans. They get used on the hob and shoved under the grill for doing the top of omlettes. I havent had any of them warp before the non-stick got crap.

Alot of Tefal products have gone down hill, cheap metals being used in their production in China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Circulon pans are brilliant. Have mine a few years now and it gets every battering on the planet! Into the oven, under the grill and so on.

Still sits on the ceramic hob, no wobbles! Yet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Flood wrote: »
    What type ones are you using that warp?

Typical - one's Tefal, the other's unbranded but might have come from TK Maxx
    Tails142 wrote: »
    Could be they way you're using it? Rapid temperature changes might cause warping such as if you were to throw cold water into it after cooking.

Normally pretty good at not doing that.
    I have a cast iron pan I bought years ago, it will outlive me and they are great to cook on really dissipate the heat well.

Le Creuset have an outlet store in Kildare Village, they do a lot of cast iron stuff.

I bought mine in Kitchen Complements - long time ago and the only reasonably priced thing I've ever seen in there.

Are they not heavy and harder to clean? #lazy
    Tree wrote: »
    I've had tefal, ikea and aldi pans. They get used on the hob and shoved under the grill for doing the top of omlettes. I havent had any of them warp before the non-stick got crap.

Sounds exactly like my use, but....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

La Crueset all the way and it couldn't be easier to clean. Wipe away oil/debris with kitchen roll and then wash in warm, soapy water without scrubbing with anything abrasive. Best purchase you'll make and nothing sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The problem is thin metal, most pans are thin alloy and over time they warp, if you want one that doesn't warp then you need to get cast iron, any brand will do, or cast alloy heavy base type.
    I have a Le Creuset 28cm that is great, was originally non stick but thats long gone, replaced by oil and still non stick.
    The original wooden handle has gone by the wayside years ago and I haven't replaced it yet.
    the other pan is a Lidl 28cm heavy aluminium saute pan with glass lid, also an excellent pan with no warpage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

My LC pans have metal handles too so can be used for searing meat in oven etc. They are just brilliant.

Are you not reticent about cooking in an aluminium pan? I'd be vary wary of the health risk it poses tbh.

• Advertisement

Isnt the sale of aluminium cookware banned in several countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't leave acidic foods in the pan, its used to fry so there is a layer of oil between the pan and the food.
    I'd have similar concerns about teflon coatings as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I have fissler ones that I got on the deal in Tesco and they are great. Also have an Aga one that I bought when I got the house 6 years ago and it is still going strong. None of them have warped and they get a fair bit of use. The Aga one also goes in the oven as it has a detachable handle. They all have fairly thick bases which I think probably helps

Le Creuset uses a type of teflon coating in their pans also, all is well if its wore off. A few years of teflon flu symptoms but be grand after.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I've had a thick-based Prestige for over a year. It can take any abuse I throw at it.

Are the frying pans you use much larger than the surface of the heating element? If frying at high temperatures, are you putting a cold frying pan directly onto a hot plate or are you heating it incrementally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I've had a thick-based Prestige for over a year. It can take any abuse I throw at it.

Are the frying pans you use much larger than the surface of the heating element? If frying at high temperatures, are you putting a cold frying pan directly onto a hot plate or are you heating it incrementally?

Nope, nope!

Just bad luck / not buying thick-based cast iron pans up till now, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

Bramax frying pans and pots,all do induction so have heavy base. Ceramic and Teflon coating . A pan for life ( if you look after it).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I used to use Tefal as well and found the coating would die after a short period of time. When me and the missus got married we got some nice cookware via the wedding list.

We got a complete set of Cristel Cookware including two saucepans made with heavy steel which are great.

We have added a Lagostina on as well which has a heavy steel base.

And we have several heavy cast iron pans which we typically use to sear steaks.

There is no way I would go back to using a lightweight pan. Spend a few bucks on a good heavy frying pan you won't regret it.

Advertisement