Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone in Slovakia?

Options
  • 08-02-2015 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if any readers here are in Slovakia?

We moved here in September, but doesn't seem to be much expats beyond Bratislava (we are an hour out of Bratislava)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭corkthai

where are you ? I go back and forth a bit with the family. Still deciding where to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

We live at the moment in Senica, which is in Trnava region, although we are contemplating moving a bit closer to Trnava itself. Where do you travel to? When do you hope to move?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I don't live here, but my wife is from here, so we spend quite a bit of time in her home town Spisska Nova Ves, which is a near 5 hour train journey from Bratislava. At one time we had contemplated moving here, even arranged a leave from my job so I could spend a few months here to see if I would be able to adapt.

A few weeks before we were due to leave some work issues forced me to abandon the plan, and we ended up staying in Ireland. That was a few years ago now. At some stage we probably will move here, once our kids are grown and have flown the nest, but for the time being it won't happen.

Even so, I love it over here, beautiful summers, beautiful winters, I've spent the last week sliding down ski slopes on my ass with my kids, and even though I eneded up sick from it, I still loved it. The people here are so nice, amazing scenery, and it's so peaceful and laid back.

I haven't spent much time in Bratislava so sorry can't speak of any expats in the area, though my wife says there was a couple of irish expat groups in the past when she studied in university there.

I hope everything goes well for you there. If you ever want to travel out to Spisska during the summer let me know, I'll be back over here July/August and could show you around.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

I go to Bratislava. Lots of Irish there. A few clubs and get togethers. If your into GAA BA has a club with regular outings..even if your not handy to pop along and meet

How you both getting on with the language ? Tough isn't it :)

Ill hopefully be around for the summer this year but at the moment struggling to get a short term lease as I've had enough staying with the in-laws :)

Yeah the language is tough,, though to be honest I haven't made a huge effort as I don't live there. I know little bits and pieces, but my kids are fluent in it, so if the wife isn't around to translate for me, they will, which is adorable.

With the OP, I originally misread and thought he was in Bratislava, only afterwards I noticed it was Senica.

Have you's been to other parts of the country much? Any particular favourites?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement

yah been all over really.Just back from some time in Oravice skiing. Was very good and cheap. And the resorts were fairly empty.

Mainly base in bratislava and then try and drive to regions at the weekends. Austria, budapest etc. I did like Kosice also.
    Lovely lake really close in Austria, Neusiedlersee.
    Head to Croatia if the beach mode takes hold :) although 7hr drive.

What would be your reasons for moving over ?

Off topic - did your kids learn slovak just by their mother speaking to them ? How old are they ?
    I have two young ones under two, and we are trying one parent one language but not sure it will sink in.

Yeah, my wife talks to them in Slovak, and I in English. Our little one is 5 and our son is 3. I wasn't sure at first how it would work out, but they picked it up. I guess when they are young, obviously the old cliche that they are like a sponge, it's easier for them to learn. They picked up the English a bit quicker, maybe due to the fact that they would hear us conversing in English and other people talking to us in English, but there is no problems for them now with switching between both.

There are other Slovaks we know married to irish people, and they don't speak in this way and their kids haven't picked up the language. We met one at the airport on the way over, she has a 4 year old boy, and he can't speak a word of slovak, which I think is kinda sad, as I like that fact that my kids can come over and talk with their slovak grandparents and make Slovak friends without having a language barrier there.

As for moving over, at the time I think for me a change of scenery was something I was looking for in life, something different to try. My wife is very close to her family and missed them quite a lot, and I felt that if I could make something work for myself over here, then I would be willing to give it a shot.

But now, progression in my professional life, we bought a house, and the fact my daughter has started her school life and making friends and starting to develop an identity, I think early retirement may be what I'll be looking for when we consider moving over. I love spending time over here and we'll continue to try help our kids develop and maintain a slovak cultural identity, but for the foreseeable future, Ireland is where we will call home.

cheers thanks for that. good to know we are kinda on the right track.
    seems you are in a similar boat to myself.
    But prob need to decide before kids start school.

Thanks for the info,

Advertisement