Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Separate threads for film & TV
    hefferboi wrote: »
    Have heard a lot about Mad Men and now that's it's up on Netflix I decided to give it a watch. I'm 3 episodes in and finding it very slow going. I'll watch the rest of the season but does it pick up??

It is very slow but from ep7 or 8 onwards it really picks up.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

hefferboi wrote: »
    Have heard a lot about Mad Men and now that's it's up on Netflix I decided to give it a watch. I'm 3 episodes in and finding it very slow going. I'll watch the rest of the season but does it pick up??

Think I made it to episode 6 or so a few years ago and gave up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Think I made it to episode 6 or so a few years ago and gave up.

Ah, if only you had made it to episode 7 or 8...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ah, if only you had made it to episode 7 or 8...

Yeah bit of a sickener, if only I'd known. I might go back to it since it's on there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I still don't know if I've ever seen a show with the sorts of total artistry of Mad Men. Individual episodes can be magnificently complex, tricksy things, while season arcs tend to be nuanced, strange and uniquely rewarding. Definitely would put it up there with only a handful of others as one of TV's greatest accomplishements, and one that at its best could match the sort of thing you see in great cinema. It can be a slow-burn, but that's part of its pleasure - like The Wire, its novelistic and demanding in the best possible way. Not to put people off, though - it was very often a legitimately hilarious show as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

To be honest I never understood the love for Mad Men. It all seemed very style over substance and only managed to finish the first season as I thought there might be some form of payoff.

It was an incredibly well made show(from opening credits to lighting a set that might be used once for a 30 second shot) and deserved every award it got for design and editing but it fell down on characters and story. I wouldn't compare it to The Wire as The Wire was character driven and often aesthetically unpleasant, quite the opposite of Mad Men. A better parallel would be Breaking Bad where everything to the tiniest of details was considered. The difference being that BB had great characters and compelling storylines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mad Men was closer to The Sopranos. More of a soap opera. It suffered from a lot of the same problems as The Sopranos too, including probably going on too long. But it had some pretty spectacular peaks and during the 4th season I would have said it was the best show on tv.

I wasn't mad about the first season. It was the second and third seasons that hooked me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I gave Mad Men one season before deciding it wasn't for me. It's basically a costume drama for men as far as I can see.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Mand Men is great, if what you want is a scrupulously authentic period drama about a whole bunch of characters who are mostly arseholes of one kind or another, but frequently brilliant or just plain hilarious to watch. Narratively, very little really happens and yet, if it gets its hooks into you, it's absolutely gripping.

And that's before we get to wonders like Roger's quips, or Pete Campbell's bitchface :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

I tried multiple times to get into Mad Men, but just never could. My other half loved it though.

I always found Don Draper to be strangely empty as a character, and lacking any real depth. He came across as a moody pr*ck that was cheating in his wife; didn't really see much depth there (?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Probably in top 5 TV series ever, I loved it from first episode to last, so smart, funny and poignant. TV for clever people is still so rare, unfortunately.

tigger123 wrote:
    I always found Don Draper to be strangely empty as a character, and lacking any real depth. He came across as a moody pr*ck that was cheating in his wife; didn't really see much depth there (?)

He wasn't to be admired though, he was a kind of composite of 60s white male archictypes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It's not that he's not admirable; it's that he's not interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

TV for clever people is still so rare, unfortunately.

So if you didn't like Mad Men your not clever?

Never said that, but any smart people I know loved it, plus got great reviews in intelligent media, Guardian, BBC R4, NPR etc, most stuff is aimed at idiots, just saying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Never said that, but any smart people I know loved it, plus got great reviews in intelligent media, Guardian, BBC R4, NPR etc, most stuff is aimed at idiots, just saying.

These are incredibly condescending remarks, you know that right (and I say that as someone who adores the show)?

Just my opinion, the masses love Mrs. Brown's Boys etc, nothing wrong with bigging up smart shows.

Just my opinion, the masses love Mrs. Brown's Boys etc, nothing wrong with bigging up smart shows.

There is a BIG difference between describing a film or show as 'smart', and making broad, sweeping value judgements about the intelligence of those who do / do not like it :)

There is a BIG difference between describing a film or show as 'smart', and making broad, sweeping value judgements about the intelligence of those who do / do not like it

Too much anti-intellectualism around imo, nothing wrong with giving smart stuff a shout out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I see what your saying, and Mad Men is one of my favourite TV shows, but I'm not sure it was even that smart of a show tbh, It wasn't like it was difficult to follow or anything. It could be people who think their clever overvalue a shows smartness because they like it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think Draper is more of a 50s archetype than a 60s one. He's the ultimate silent generation man filtered through the eyes of a gen Xer man (Weiner), who I think really did admire him and glamourised his behaviour. I found Draper's nihilism compelling, but his overall trajectory as a character was pretty underwhelming and how I always feared it would go.

I think my favourite thing about the show was all the literary and cinematic references. You could put together a great reading/watchlist from watching the show.

I see what your saying, and Mad Men is one of my favourite TV shows, but I'm not sure it was even that smart of a show tbh, It wasn't like it was difficult to follow or anything. It could be people who think their clever overvalue a shows smartness because they like it.

We'll agree to disagree but the standard of writing was outstanding, just because it wasn't difficult to follow doesn't mean it wasn't intelligent.

Yes early 60s I meant, pre the 60s cultural revolution, 50s hangover.

That is the kind of pseudointellectual guff that puts people off giving a piece of art a chance. I like Mad Men but can understand went people dislike it and would even go so far as to say that it's nowhere near as smart as it thinks it is.

The Wire and Oz are both far more adult shows that tell their respective stories far better than Mad Men. To me Mad Men is a very smart soap opera. It's intelligent, mature and very well done, and deserves a chance but to say that not looking the show makes you stood, which you heavily imply just makes you a snob.

Also, since when is critical acclaim a means to rate something's worth. The latest Fast and the Furious is getting rave reviews in fare such as Little White Lies, does that mean that it is now worthier than when just tabloids liked the series?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just watched one of my top 2 favourite films with my 11 year old son for the first time - Apocolypta. Gripping from beginning to end, he loved it!

I think we'll wait a few years before we watch Downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Just watched one of my top 2 favourite films with my 11 year old son for the first time - Apocolypta. Gripping from beginning to end, he loved it!

I think we'll wait a few years before we watch Downfall.

:eek: bit heavy for an 11 year old, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

:eek: bit heavy for an 11 year old, no?

He was hugging me for half and standing up watching the rest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The new series of MST 3000 is up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Girl Model: Filmmakers chronicle a 13-year-old Russian girl's experiences as she tries to fulfill her dream of becoming a model in Japan.

The female scout is a highly disturbed person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Girl Model: Filmmakers chronicle a 13-year-old Russian girl's experiences as she tries to fulfill her dream of becoming a model in Japan.

The female scout is a highly disturbed person.

Wasn't this up before? I heard it was pretty creepy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement