Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Total War Game May Be Shogun 2?

• 28-05-2010 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

Unconfirmed specualtion at present.

Thoughts?

Personally, I'd be more than happy for CA to return to melee combat (just personal preference), but I'll wait for feedback from the TW community before splashing the cash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Well personally it seems like a no brainer to go back and update the original in the series. After Rome, Medieval 2, Empire and Napoleon we are only left with mid/late 19th century combat, WWII or Modern. None of which attract me in :TW format. Whether they try to change the gameplay and/or units or merely update Shogun to MTW2 standard is the question.

Do they take the easy option or try to create a great game based on an original, astounding and groundbreaking game?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I wouldnt be surprised if the next itteration borrows more from civilisation and tries to create an ages system to progress from rome > medieval/shogun > empire > modern

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

neanderthol: total war please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Polar101

I was hoping they might dump the campaign map mode and design it again - the battles have always been fine, but the "strategy" part has been pretty tedious in the TW series. I guess Shogun 2 will be pretty interesting, if they do something else than just a graphics upgrade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I wouldnt be surprised if the next itteration borrows more from civilisation and tries to create an ages system to progress from rome > medieval/shogun > empire > modern

I really hope they don;t go down this route at all, just wouldn't be total war. CA have a massive fanbase dedicated to the format of teh game as is, why fix something that is not broken (other than the AI).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭Niska

Shogun 2 has been confirmed.

http://www.totalwar.com/shogun2/news/4289
    “Developing Shogun 2: Total War gives us the opportunity to use recent technology to portray one of history’s most exciting civil wars.” commented Mike Simpson, Creative Director at The Creative Assembly and father of the Total War franchise. “Ever since we developed Shogun: Total War 10 years ago, the team at The Creative Assembly has always dreamt of using our accumulated experience to revisit Total War in Feudal Japan.”

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hope they make a good job of the A.I this time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Hope they make a good job of the A.I this time.

Haven't played Empire or Napoleon. Was the Empire AI really as bad as I have read?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Tenger wrote: »
    Haven't played Empire or Napoleon. Was the Empire AI really as bad as I have read?

Yup I found it very passive in empire,I did'nt find it too bad in napoleon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

empire suffered because the campaign map ai at launch wouldnt do naval invasions (I dont know about the latest version though) which made it far too easy to lock nations out of certain theatres easily.

On shogun 2, I'm somewhat meh about this announcement. The original shogun was amazing because of what it introduced and became a staple of total war games. But the setting itself was rather small, I'd like to see them incoporate more of asian politics in the other countries around japan rather then exclusively on the shogunate. If they are going to focus purely on shogun japan then they will need to overhaul the entire diplomacy system to make it much more organic and dynamic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I can see this being just a pretty Shogun Total War. They have promised to fix the dire AI for years and done little about it, and their unlikely to change the game mechanics much since they have been selling the current design like hotcakes for years.

Not really too eager about this at all to be honest unless they get their act together and fix the problems with an otherwise fantastic series.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I recall reading somewhere that CA replaced the AI designer or the old guy left. I'm a little optimistic then that this won't suffer the same appalling AI problems that plagued previous TW games - Empire in particular was completely retarded.

If not there's always Civ 5 in September. If it's even only as good as Civ 4, I'll be playing it for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Dacian wrote: »
    After Rome, Medieval 2, Empire and Napoleon we are only left with mid/late 19th century combat, WWII or Modern.
    Lolwut? Pike and Musket era would be amazing. As would War of the Three Kingdoms era China. In fact, both have been done quite well in mods, so gameplay wise they're both definitely viable.
    There's a write up about the game in this months PCGamer. They managed to get an interview with two of the lead devs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I can't wait, loved the first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

I can't wait, It was shogun 1 that got me into the total war games. I have shogun,Medieval 2 total war and empire total war and i love them all.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Gameplay (watch in HD)! :eek:

Looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Looks awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Going to stop reading about this – it's coming in what – another 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I for one can't wait ,I loved Medieval 2 and Rome,and i played shogun to death when it came out.I was never really interested in the Napoleon era.Time to start saving for a new computer.

http://www.totalwar.com/shogun2/videos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Ninja assassination................looks great!.:)

http://www.totalwar.com/videos?cid=1181&mtype=video

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Gameplay (watch in HD)! :eek:

Looks great.

Thats class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

id like to see them expand the map more and give you more options in game mode. the battles in napolean i thought were quite good but the map mode had very little to keep an interest in the game. id like to see more continents introduced in the map mode and maybe late 19th early 20th century like example british empire in africa and asia.

Whens this being released?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

2011 is the firmest I've seen and given that it'll probably be mid to late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

This looks really interesting. I don't know if I'd buy it but I'd be very tempted since I love the first one. For ages I tended to spend more time with Rome as the gameplay is more complex but when you go back to Shogun it has something that the other games don't, can't quite put my finger on it.

As for improvements, I actually wouldn't like to see too many new features because I think the simplicity of the game adds a lot to it. A better AI is obviously important. Also, assuming they stick with roughly the same unit types, I'd like to see Ashigaru units improved. I mean come on, I know they're the cheap units and therefore not supposed to be very good, but IMO there is absolutely no point in hiring them because they rout pretty much as soon as they see the enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

That's pretty cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Siege battles actually look good now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

i dunno i always get so hyped up about tw games.

But my head was wreaked after buying empire so im going just ignore the reveiws and just look at the twcenter forums.

Please dont mess this game up CA.

the game a year developement cycle is probally why the tw games are so buggy at the moment.

Advertisement