Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 threetrouts

Not here to aggrevate or troll but a company are starting work on the pillars illustrated in photo above on the harbour entrance in march 29 of the 40 have cracked under stress and are unsafe they will be reinstating them for sispar but its going to take many many months.Maybe all concerned here should be raising questions as to the build quality.,:mad::mad::mad::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Not here to aggrevate or troll but a company are starting work on the pillars illustrated in photo above on the harbour entrance in march 29 of the 40 have cracked under stress and are unsafe they will be reinstating them for sispar but its going to take many many months.Maybe all concerned here should be raising questions as to the build quality.,:mad::mad::mad::confused::confused:

Thanks threetrouts for that information, unwelcome though it is. Do you have a source for that number of 29/40 pillars being unsafe that we can take to our Councillors? I don't see any joy here at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Good point Darter. This would be helpful information. Could you also clarify what pillars? My eyesight is not the best and I'm afraid I cant see any pillars in Johns photo. (Are they the metal ones around the marina basin?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I'm guessing they are the pillars shown in the photo in post #479.
    they appear to be supporting the end of the pier, and also caging in the loose boulders underneath. The boulders may be exerting a horizontal outward force which would not be at all good for a concrete pillar.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

recedite wrote: »
    I'm guessing they are the pillars shown in the photo in post #479.
    they appear to be supporting the end of the pier, and also caging in the loose boulders underneath. The boulders may be exerting a horizontal outward force which would not be at all good for a concrete pillar.

This is unbelievable. Mind you, having watched the progress of the construction of the pillars and the lodging of the rock armour between them, I did think that it was a bit iffy, considering the type of storms and tides that Greystones experiences.
    If you are correct this is going to be some costly remedial work. Has NAMA a role in this operaton.

Lets hope that your assertion is unfounded.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

I see that the harbour is now officially completely free of equipment signifying that the project has run out of money. As Ireland is bankrupt there is no way NAMA can fund the project even if it wanted to. But when will the hideous hoardings be taken down and the harbour once again returned to the people?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭F3

I see that the harbour is now officially completely free of equipment signifying that the project has run out of money. As Ireland is bankrupt there is no way NAMA can fund the project even if it wanted to. But when will the hideous hoardings be taken down and the harbour once again returned to the people?

It appears to me that a decision is being awaited from NAMA on whether it will fund the medical centre [& 11 apartments] car-park, together with the sailing club, angling club and the other community buildings, together with the the public area. I believe this cannot happen. I believe NAMA will only consider the medical centre, apartments, & car park as a "catalyst" to recover the loans from Sispar. NAMA simply does not have a mandate to expend monies on projects that will not give a return to the tax payer [such as community club amenities]. Has planning been approved for the medical centre? It is my understanding that an objection went into an bord pleanala regarding the powers of the PPP to make minor changes to the original planning. If I'm correct, and the project is awaiting for an bord pleanala decision / approval, then this could further hold up the decision from NAMA. Can anyone confirm this to be the case??? I think WCC should be seriously thinking about an interim plan so that the public can have access at least to the east and middle pier whilst the egg is being unscrambled, which looks like it will take years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Advertisement

This is indeed a barren and desolate place! What once was uniquely a place of beauty is now just mucky and ugly.

Now is the time for the Council to call on the €10 million bond from SISK/Park Developments to landscape the harbour landscape and make it fit for purpose so that the people can once again get their harbour back.

So what about it George Jones?
    So what about it Derek Mitchell?

As you two were the people responsible for this stalled development will you now sort out this mess?

The people of Greystones want their harbour back, NOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

F3 wrote: »
    Has planning been approved for the medical centre? It is my understanding that an objection went into an bord pleanala regarding the powers of the PPP to make minor changes to the original planning. If I'm correct, and the project is awaiting for an bord pleanala decision / approval, then this could further hold up the decision from NAMA. Can anyone confirm this to be the case??? I think WCC should be seriously thinking about an interim plan so that the public can have access at least to the east and middle pier whilst the egg is being unscrambled, which looks like it will take years.

A couple of residents queried the power of the local authority to arbitrarily increase the number of houses back up to the level which was dissallowed by An Bord Pleanala. This query has no connection with the medical centre or the NAMA funding (despite cllr Mitchells assertions to the contrary). SISKS themselves are hopeful of a decision from NAMA by early summer although some would believe this to be very optimistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

George Jones will no doubt be down glad handing everyone at the Scout Hut on Paddy's Day. A perfect time to lock the doors and question him.

George Jones will no doubt be down glad handing everyone at the Scout Hut on Paddy's Day. A perfect time to lock the doors and question him.

I think its very unfair personalising, did you ask him last year when you were at the Scout's breakfast. I suppose not.
    George Jones as a councillor has probably done more good for the area than anyone else has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

He is a public servant with a highly visible involvement with the Harbour development. He should expect questions no matter where he is and most especially when he is appearing at event in the hope of currying favour.

As for what he has done for the people of Greystones.. I have no idea, which says a lot for his time in office. I doubt most people know who he is.

He is very quiet on the harbour now for sure, as is Derek Mitchell.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I think its very unfair personalising, did you ask him last year when you were at the Scout's breakfast. I suppose not.
    George Jones as a councillor has probably done more good for the area than anyone else has.

When he went to China to collect the LivCom award was it paid for by the taxpayer? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mirrorball

When he went to China to collect the LivCom award was it paid for by the taxpayer? Genuine question.

Cllr Jones along with the other Cllrs were working there - of course it was paid for by the taxpayer. Whether you agree on the merits of the Livcom award and its ilk is another thing but you can't expect them to go to China out of their own pocket.
    What's that got to do with the harbour anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

mirrorball wrote: »
    Cllr Jones along with the other Cllrs were working there - of course it was paid for by the taxpayer. Whether you agree on the merits of the Livcom award and its ilk is another thing but you can't expect them to go to China out of their own pocket.
    What's that got to do with the harbour anyway?

It has nothing to do with the harbour but was a direct response to the comment that George Jones has done a lot for Greystones. I have had experience of the junkets the councillors go on and there is not a lot of work done. In my opinion the man has done little for Greystones but he is always happy to go on trips. He would go to the opening of an envelope.

His attitude to the harbour development was outrageous and he is a disgrace as a public representative .. in my opinion.

George Jones needs to start communicating with the people of Greystones rather than all the cloak and dagger stuff and tell us when the hoardings are coming down so that we get our harbour back. I dont care how he does it but him and Derek Mitchell have a public duty to sort out this mess of their making.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mirrorball

It has nothing to do with the harbour but was a direct response to the comment that George Jones has done a lot for Greystones. I have had experience of the junkets the councillors go on and there is not a lot of work done. In my opinion the man has done little for Greystones but he is always happy to go on trips. He would go to the opening of an envelope.

His attitude to the harbour development was outrageous and he is a disgrace as a public representative .. in my opinion.

I didn't agree with his stance on the harbour at all but I've had dealings with him down the years and he has always been approachable, fair and very helpful. A "disgrace" is a very strong opinion to hold - what exactly has he done to deserve this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Im curious to know have those of you who are quick enough to judge people ever contacted the councillors directly about these matters - as far as I can see contact details for all the 9 councillors are freely available in various places so contact is available and did you all go to the meeting held before Christmas and stand up and state your case - if so and you got no answers maybe then you have a greviance.

To repeat, it is the responsibility of our so called "public representatives" to communicate with the people. There is nothing but stoney silence from George Jones and Derek Mitchell as to when the hoardings will be coming down and when the people will get back their harbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Of course it is but unfortunately that is the norm - my point is if you want to know something and its not fortcoming then you have to go and find it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Jones and Mitchell were the two councillors that were always pushing the harbour redevelopment as far as I can see - certainly based on council reports and in the local media. They can't wash their hands of it now.

The Guide wrote: »
    Of course it is but unfortunately that is the norm - my point is if you want to know something and its not fortcoming then you have to go and find it yourself

As the vast majority of the population of Greystones were actually against this development in the first place evidenced by the 10,000 objections to An Bord Pleanala against it. Surely you don't expect 10,000 people to have to drag information out of George Jones and Derek Mitchell. As George Jones and Derek Mitchell ignored the will of the people they now have a moral obligation to communicate with the people as to how this mess will be sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Sticky Fingers

In the Irish Times on the 1st Feb 2011, Tom Fortune stated that he met the Consortium and he was optimistic about some of the hoardings coming down hopefully, by June 2011. But this was subject to them receiving funding from NAMA. Only then would the hoardings come down !

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0201/1224288693669.html

It seems like an awful waste of money to spend on new fencing if they believed they were going to get the funding from NAMA doesn't it !

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micandre

I see there's an update on Derek Mitchell's webpage.

http://www.derekmitchell.ie/?p=569

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

"Currently not enough boat owners have expressed interest in paying for berths in the marina which could delay its completion beyond 2011. I believe that more are interested but they need to be contacted again."

What a joke. If they think that in this climate people will bite their hand off to put their boat in an untested and (currently) un-built marina they are only fooling themselves. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭F3

Edited repeat of a previous post:-

The decision being awaited from NAMA is whether it will fund the medical centre [& 11 apartments] car-park, together with the 5 free community buildings, together with the the public area, I believe cannot happen. I believe NAMA will only consider the medical centre, apartments, & car park as a "catalyst" to recover the loans from Sispar. NAMA simply does not have a mandate to expend monies on projects that will not give a return to the tax payer [such as community club amenities].

WCC should be [now] seriously thinking about an interim plan so that the public can have access at least to the east and middle pier whilst the egg is being unscrambled, which looks like it will take years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

" further complication is that ex Labour Party Councillor, Fiachra Etchingham has objected to the modest changes to Bord Pleanala. It could take from 1 to 14+ months for this to be cleared and this is unhelpful in getting a favourable decision from NAMA."

Now now Fiachra...how dare you object. This is all your fault don't you know!:confused:

Advertisement