Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

De Facto Relationships Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

BUMP :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Department of Justice and Law Reform Irish Naturalisation and Immigration
    13/14 Burgh Quay
    Dublin 2

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Americana

Logie, can you tell me how long you had been together and/or lived together when you applied for this? I am here on a working holiday visa and exploring options to continue to stay and work here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

You need to be able to give evidence of being in a relationship with an Irish citizen for at least 24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Americana

Just that you've been in a relationship? Or lived together? My boyfriend (Irish citizen) and I have been together for over 24 months, but I have been here on a working holiday visa since June, so we have only lived together for about 8 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sophie4187

Hi all - I'm American, in a same-sex relationship with an Irish citizen. I'm currently living with her on a working holiday visa (expires in August) Can we apply for the de facto visa while I'm on the working holiday visa? Also, is the fee 250?

We're going to visit family in June, due to be back in August .... will this affect my application in any way?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭jellybeans

hiya I was wondering about my boyfriend being here on a student visa, is that ok?? also we will be a little short of the 24 months...do you think this will be a problem? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Emma_Jane

Wondering if someone can help me. I am South African born with an Australian passport. I live in Australia at the moment. My fiance lives in Ireland and in June this year we would be dating for 2 years. I have been to Ireland 3 times, he has met my family in South Africa last year and now coming to visit me in Australia soon. I really want to live and work in Ireland and be with him. These holidays are getting very expensive. We are not ready to get married just yet and don't want to be forced to just for the sake of the law however our relationship is real and would like to continue it.

Does anyone have advise for me. I am coming back in October and need to work if I am to remain there so does the defacto visa to remain in Ireland mean I can work or how do I go about doing this. I am over 30 so can't get the holiday visa and I am in an industry that Irealnd does not give working visa's for.

Your advise would be greatly apprecaited, It's always great to hear good news stories too :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 misslady

Hey Everybody,

My boyfriend (who is Irish) and I would like to try for the De Facto visa. We have been long distance for two years, with six visits in betwen and we spent four months backpacking together.

Has anybody applied with similar circumstances and can advise on what information will need to be sent?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭ Liana Sticky Pennon

misslady wrote: »
    Hey Everybody,

My boyfriend (who is Irish) and I would like to try for the De Facto visa. We have been long distance for two years, with six visits in betwen and we spent four months backpacking together.

Has anybody applied with similar circumstances and can advise on what information will need to be sent?

Thanks!

Im in a similar situation actually. Been together 3 years though. And she has moved over on holiday visa or visitor visa or what ever its called for 30 days. We have been to local immigration officer who gave her an extra 90 days stamp on her passport so we have time to submit our application to I.N.I.S. We just submitted our application today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

My partner and I went through the process and it's documented in this thread. I've listed what I sent in to emmigration etc. We met abroad followed by trips to each others counties before she moved to Ireland. If you have any specific question I'll do my best to give you an answer.

Thanks,

LoGiE

An update. DoJ sent us out a letter confirming they received our application with a reference number. They also sent out a 2nd letter by registered post with our documents that were original copies, so they must have taken photocopies of these.

UPDATE

my partner got her stamp 4 , took about 6 weeks, we had to go to local GNIB officer who stamped her passport for 3 years.

Best of luck to all

UPDATE

my partner got her stamp 4 , took about 6 weeks, we had to go to local GNIB officer who stamped her passport for 3 years.

Best of luck to all

Can you describe your situation, e.g. if you's were already living together, and what all documents you sent in?

Thanks.

Can you describe your situation, e.g. if you's were already living together, and what all documents you sent in?

Thanks.

hi damo, we have been living together for around 7 years, she was on a student visa all that time, we have two children (irish citizens) due to the fact I am irish :)

We sent in the following;

Household Bills in each others names & some with both are names (from as far back as we could go)

Passports (for all of us, children included)

Birth Certs (myself, partner, children)

Gnib Card (partners)

E-mails (when we used to mail each other when she was in her home country)

Birthday Cards (from all of us)

Photos (again as far back as we could go, including family members, visitor attractions in Ireland etc..)

Bank Statements (partner,myself) we don't have any joint accounts in both our names but once they had the same address it was okay.

Basically send in as much stuff as possible! We sent all original documents in a big jiffy bag, registered & sealed.

We got a letter after a week or so stating they received our application & will contact us if they need further information.

We got another letter after a few months explaining that asking my partner should attend her local immigrtion officer who will deal with our case, asked us to bring passports (for all of us), gnib card, birth certs for the children.

We made an appointment with the immigration officer who had a look through the documents said it ws fine and processed the gnib card giving her a STAMP4 visa which will last for 3 years from the day we were with him.

I believe she got it through the zambrano case that was recently in the news due to the fact our children are irish citizens an not based on de-facto!

I assume it is a similar process though, basically send everything in, if they need anything they will let you know.

Thanks for your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Batfink55

Hi Damo,

My partner and I applied for stamp four recognition two days after you. We've heard nothing other than a letter of notification of receipt of the application. I'm hoping it's down to the summer holidays and isn't bad news.

Batfink55 wrote: »
    Hi Damo,

My partner and I applied for stamp four recognition two days after you. We've heard nothing other than a letter of notification of receipt of the application. I'm hoping it's down to the summer holidays and isn't bad news.

Tell us a bit about your background.

Batfink55 wrote: »
    Hi Damo,

Hi Batfink55, have you heard any more?

We haven't heard anything since.

It does take time to hear back from the De-facto department etc...

Hope all goes well for all applications!

there is a lot of backround checking i'd say that takes place when you apply, once you nothing to hide and are honest should be just a waiting game.

Failing that go in person to the GNIB office on burgh quay and look to speak to someone, I have done it before and got a name of person dealing with application and within a few weeks all sorted.

• Advertisement

there is a lot of backround checking i'd say that takes place when you apply, once you nothing to hide and are honest should be just a waiting game.

Failing that go in person to the GNIB office on burgh quay and look to speak to someone, I have done it before and got a name of person dealing with application and within a few weeks all sorted.

Cool, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭jellybeans

what sort of background checking do you reckon they do?

Just letting you know, we rang INIS yesterday and they told us the application was with the supervisor and its up to him/her to to make the final decision and to post out a response. The girl on the phone said she will tell the supervisor that we have been waiting 8 weeks and are getting pretty anxious for a response. This morning we got a letter saying my girlfriend was granted a stamp 4 based on our exceptional circumstances. We are so happy.

well done,

how long is the stamp4 for?

12 months initially, then can be renewed by going back to your local immigration officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 vinomano

Hi all,

I’ve successfully completed MSc in E-Business and Information System in Smurfit Business School year 2010. I’m holding a Student visa (Graduate Scheme) from 1st of November 2010 to till 1st of November 2011. Since I got that Graduate Scheme visa I’ve been trying to get a professional job to specific my studied area. I had several interviews with leading organizations in Ireland and I wasn’t successfully due to the student visa category. Most of organization, they required the people who had already Stamp 4 visa. For an example last month (July) I had interview with Software Company about Software Engineer position. This is a Master in Applied Software Technology + Permanent Job program. In first stage I should have to enroll for Master Degree and after they will offer that permanent job from the Software Company. Furthermore they are looking for candidates who have Stamp 4 visa.
    This is very important opportunity for my further career path. I’ll delight if I get this opportunity. I’m please to say I have successfully completed two steps of an interview with them and I’m happy to say I’ve been selected for final phase of interview. They are still waiting for me if I get stamp 4 to offer this program for me. For this incidence they’ve offered college offer letter to me. Please find attached file. I’m afraid; I don’t think Software Company will sign for Green Card application on this occasion. Because first I should complete Degree program according to program specification. But I will able to get a letter from the company as well. With my position, Starting date, Duration of employment etc.. I highly appreciated if you can provide sufficient information to get me for this program according to this scenario.

vinomano wrote: »
    Hi all,

I’ve successfully completed MSc in E-Business and Information System in Smurfit Business School year 2010. I’m holding a Student visa (Graduate Scheme) from 1st of November 2010 to till 1st of November 2011. Since I got that Graduate Scheme visa I’ve been trying to get a professional job to specific my studied area. I had several interviews with leading organizations in Ireland and I wasn’t successfully due to the student visa category. Most of organization, they required the people who had already Stamp 4 visa. For an example last month (July) I had interview with Software Company about Software Engineer position. This is a Master in Applied Software Technology + Permanent Job program. In first stage I should have to enroll for Master Degree and after they will offer that permanent job from the Software Company. Furthermore they are looking for candidates who have Stamp 4 visa.
    This is very important opportunity for my further career path. I’ll delight if I get this opportunity. I’m please to say I have successfully completed two steps of an interview with them and I’m happy to say I’ve been selected for final phase of interview. They are still waiting for me if I get stamp 4 to offer this program for me. For this incidence they’ve offered college offer letter to me. Please find attached file. I’m afraid; I don’t think Software Company will sign for Green Card application on this occasion. Because first I should complete Degree program according to program specification. But I will able to get a letter from the company as well. With my position, Starting date, Duration of employment etc.. I highly appreciated if you can provide sufficient information to get me for this program according to this scenario.

This thread is for the De Facto, best you start a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 vinomano

This thread is for the De Facto, best you start a new thread.

Thanks i will do..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cafeaulait13

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some info from anyone who has recently gone through the process of getting a defacto visa in Ireland.

A bit of background for you. My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years (his Irish, I'm Australian). We met in Ireland while I was on a working holiday visa. I applied for a Green Card however this was refused (despite already having a job) so I returned to Australia. Since then we have been in a long distance relationship. We have been preparing to apply for a defacto visa for sometime so we have ample evidence of our relationship. This year we decided to moved to France for 12 months before moving to Ireland to apply for the visa. Having recently checked the website I have a few concerns I'm hoping someone can verify.

1. Despite living together we don't have any documentation to prove this. I was not on the lease in Dublin and we our house sitting if France. Will the evidence we have been enough i.e. phone bills, photos, family photos, numerous holidays to each other, mail sent to one address the list goes on. I have literally kept everything that we could use!

2. We don't have a joint bank account. Will individual bank statements be enough to show as they say it that 'we are both contributing our life financially'?????

3. Can I apply pretty much straight away when we get back to Ireland or will I need permission to remain in the state?

If anyone has any advice that would be great. Like with most people all this visa stuff can be a bit stressful.

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I can't really comment on the Irish situation, but I would point out that you will need a visa for France, so you should at least have some official documentation from there to help a long the way...

Jim

Advertisement