Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Film publicity/marketing

Options
  • 24-06-2003 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

2Fast2furious, Charlies Angles 2 - Full Throttle and the Matrix Reloaded are recient examples of films trhat have unprecidented levels of marketing and ramming down our throats lately, I've seen enough ads for Charlies Angels lately for me to assume that it's been out for the last month (I saw a trailer for it during the matrix and was well femilure with it before that).
    Do you think Film marketing affects the viewers overall view of weather a film is good or crap? I admit think I'd have thought the martix reloaded wasn't as good as I do if I hadn't been convinced it was going to be the best film ever made, 6 weeks before it was released.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Boyg

If you have no expectations of a film before going to see it you enjoy it more i think. If there is too much hype over a film you have higher expectations, and you get disappointed by it :(

When i saw the matrix for the first time i hadn't really heard too much about it. But when i saw it I was blown away :) If i had know it was "the best film ever made" i might have compared it to other great films (shawshank redemption).

I'd prefer to know nothing about a film when i go into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Boyg

I'd prefer to know nothing about a film when i go into it.

Its no accident that some of my favourite flicks were completly
    unknown to me when I saw em.

It gets harder every year to arrive "fresh" to a new release, not only is the marketing at terminal levels of noise and fury (signifing nothing) the chice of films at the cinemas continues to dwindle as the lastest 3-4 "blockbusters" hog every screen in town. There are no small new films in any regional towns now.

Also is it me or are the trailers on TV really bad these days, just "wham, bam, thankyou ma'am" you hardly know what the films about. Sorry that was naive, every new release is a sequel these
    days so no explainantion is required!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

i agree completely about not knowing too much about a film before i see it. makes a huge difference, when i see even the trailer for films it normally ruins the entire film as i know whats coming when im watching it.
    In fact thinking about it now i hate ads and marketing [i work for AOL - what does that tell ya - connie anyone] it cheapens a film for me in some way, its like it cant stand up on its own, it needs to have its best parts condensed into a 60 second rush in order to get people to come and see the other 119 minutes of not so interesting storyline.
    I know we have to hear about them someway and obviosly they want as any people to pay to see the film as possible but it takes away from discovering a little gem of a film all on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Note that the three movies you mentioned there were sequels?

Anyway, personally I try to avoid the hype as much as possible for the very reasons you've mentioned. You can't do much about ads in the cinema but at least you could try ignoring the stuff on TV. I don't watch tv much anymore (and anything I do is usually pre-taped so the ads have no effect on me). I don't watch any 'movie review' programs or buy stuff like 'empire' to ruin the films for me.

To the guy who said 'we have to hear about them someway' I'd reccomend my method of choosing films, which is basically to (a) take on the reccomendations of people you know and (b) check out anything on the imdb that gets above 7.0. I find I usually end up catching all the 'important' films that way and avoid most of the (in retropsect) hyped crap.

It doesn't guarentee me a great film every single time but at least that way I still end up seeing nearly everything first time where I should be seeing it .... in the cinema.

Advertisement