Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What tie for a suit

• 14-06-2013 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This is a new suit I got and I'll initially be teaming it with a white shirt with french cuffs. I need to get a suitable tie for a wedding and maybe a pocket square as well.
    The shirt I'm wearing in the picture is rubbish.

What are my options - do I go for a skinny knitted tie in a bright single colour (burnt orange), patterned tie, what?!!! I've no ideas.

I've also read conflicting advice as to whether the square should match the tie - what is the general concensus?

* Obviously I'm going to change the shoes - was thinking of a brown colour and belt to match - or should I opt for a pair of formal black shoes?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭dee_mc

well wear :)
    I like the burnt orange idea, any bright single colour would look good
    oh yea, and I would go for matching pocket square!
    Dark brown shoes would look well with that combo, so would black but brown would be my choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Are knitted ties a current fashion or traditional? There seems to be a lot of single block colour skinny (5cm / 2") ties on the 'net currently.

Also, are paisley ties the domain of the older man?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Are knitted ties a current fashion or traditional? There seems to be a lot of single block colour skinny (5cm / 2") ties on the 'net currently.

Also, are paisley ties the domain of the older man?

Don't wear a knitted tie for a wedding, particularly not if it's a wool knit. Wear a silk tie, with a decent blade width. Skinny ties don't lend themselves well to proper knots, though ime the wearers of said ties aren't interested in tying them properly either!

I would tend to go with a darker colour, a shade of blue or navy with a subtle pattern on it.

Try not to match your pocket square exactly to your tie colour, it looks a bit forced. If in doubt, go with a white linen square.

Shoes and belt on the other hand, I would definitely match. Either brown or black shoes would go fine with that suit so it depends more on the formality of the wedding.

This must be the third suit related thread you've started for this wedding! Fair play for putting so much effort into it!

Don't forget as well to leave time for alterations :)

Advertisement