Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheap winter clothes

• 03-09-2011 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

Just sorted myself with Ski gear for the winter fishing. Makes sense, waterproof, warm & breathable.
    For the lad
    Jacket
    Pants

All were BLACK btw so no taking the mick about the colour.
    Total cost delivered = £65.94, would have cost a lot more buying fishing gear, thought I would share this with you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

That is good value. As a retailer of fishing clothes I cant understand how some of the companies can charge so much for simple jackets. Yes some are very light, fully waterproof and breathable but also have low noise and very little shoulder resistance but some clothes are just over priced full stop. I find for many brands you are paying for the name as you'll find if you look long enough many clothes are coming from the same factory, just different badges..

Keep shopping around guys.. Let us know how you get on with those over the colder wetter months, an update would be great..

Eoghan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I was unprepared last winter so it was a cold, wet winter for me. Spent the last few months shopping around for proper 'fishing' gear but the prices were insane. Found a couple of good items on SportsDirect with free delivery the other day but a guy mentioned getting ski gear out of season. Seems sensible.

We have a Horsey section in the shop two and some of the gear is similar but a lot of the fishermen wont wear the horse gear. We buy a lot of our horse type clothing in Finland, if they cant get it right I dunno who can cause its freezing up there. I guess the only thing about buying certain items of fishing gear in good quality is if you mind them they are an investment. A good fishing suit should last you 5 years, so when you spend 250 quid on it over five years thats only 50 euro a year so its not bad in one sense.

I hope this winter wont be like last winter though??? Anyone heard any predictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

some one told me a few weeks ago they are predicting it to be as bad:mad:... but dont quote me on it:D

As the winner* of the August forecasting competition on Boards :D
    I predict a very similar winter to last year. All the signs are there. I expect a few good hard frosts in NOV (possibly late OCT) to lead to snowmageddon in DEC. Have not thought about Jan yet.

* Although I did win there was some luck involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

bayliner wrote: »
    some one told me a few weeks ago they are predicting it to be as bad:mad:... but dont quote me on it:D

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Were these the same people that were predicting the hottest summer in years?
    :rolleyes:
    bayliner wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

HHmm Iv been looking at something for the winter myself as the cold storage overall I was using has had its day.I got thinking would good quality ski or rain motor bike gear not do the trick or even a riggers survival suit (not the immersion type) ?

Ski stuff =
    • designed to keep you alive on top of a mountain
    • designed to keep you dry
    • designed to be flexible to allow you to ski

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Was i the only one who when clicking in "for the lad" in the OP thought it would be a freaky pair of underpants?! :p

Anyway, got myself a regatta fleece yesterday in cummins sports in cork reduced to €20. Ladies ones were reduced to €15. Very good for under the jacket when cod fishing in a cold northerly.

• Advertisement

All I know about Dickies gear is ever time I tried a pair of trousers I had to go up at least one if not two sizes. They always fit a little funny..

When you guys are looking for clothing, would ye use gear that bulky? Are you fishing all year round?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

twomeys wrote: »
    All I know about Dickies gear is ever time I tried a pair of trousers I had to go up at least one if not two sizes. They always fit a little funny..

When you guys are looking for clothing, would ye use gear that bulky? Are you fishing all year round?
    Well there cheap as chips so ill give them ago.I wouldn't count them as bulky.Ya fishing all year round.I was fishing garrets town beach last night and I was starting to feel the cold .

twomeys wrote: »

Lets not forget how cold it was last year.
    173962.JPG

28 Nov 2010

That's good to know about the clothing. See we have an equestrian section in our shop and a lot of our clothes come from Finland but I was told fishermen won't wear horse type clothing. People who ride horses all year round professionally need base layers, thermals and waterproof too. At least you guys are open to whatever keeps you warm and dry!!!

Have any of you tried the base layer or thermal suits? You wear these as you heat layer and then all you require is lighter waterproof and windproof gear.

Regards

Eoghan

Well, after a few delivery issues the jacket has turned up today & I must say it will serve very well for the winter fishing, can strongly recommend it.

Advertisement