Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭stanflt

005fqz.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

the joys of cutting your own silage:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

stanflt wrote: »
    006oxt.jpg

finally posted correctly

Thats some bag of milk... great photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

Had a bit of a surprise last week
    Photo0220.jpg

Heifer calf out of AAX heifer that was meant to be going to the factory, until she started springing down.
    Sire is a BBX bullock... got the vet to do the job because I didn't want something like this to happen if I did it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

stanflt wrote: »
    005fqz.jpg

the joys of cutting your own silage:eek:

must have been some swearing done there :D

He must have had one left in the chamber:D:D:D:D

Nice calf though... did vet band him by any chance or burdizzo?

• Advertisement

Bodacious wrote: »
    He must have had one left in the chamber:D:D:D:D

Nice calf though... did vet band him by any chance or burdizzo?

Burdizzo, 12 months ago...

rliston wrote: »
    Burdizzo, 12 months ago...

did you have to get the vet back to re do him? You're lucky he didnt catch more of them
    !

did you have to get the vet back to re do him? You're lucky he didnt catch more of them
    !

It was just the two of them and his dam that were outwintered together. He was sent to the factory earlier in the year and the cow has been bulling a couple of times since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

polod wrote: »
    must have been some swearing done there :D

not a great advertisment for ruscon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Few pics there from an hour ago
    Photo0118.jpg
    Charolais x sim heifer for the bull next march
    Photo0115.jpg
    Charolais x sim cow
    Photo0117.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭limo_100

Charolais x sim heifer for the bull next march
    Photo0115.jpg

wat age will your be in mach???? and what age do most people bull there heffiers at???
    we had heffiers born last march was thinking of bulling them to have them calving in sept??? would they be too young??

limo_100 wrote: »
    wat age will your be in mach???? and what age do most people bull there heffiers at???
    we had heffiers born last march was thinking of bulling them to have them calving in sept??? would they be too young??

That heifer was born august 2010...Our calving period is not quite in line with that of the better farm programme at the moment:rolleyes: Personally were calving down at around 30 months but thats mainly because over the last 5 or 6 years cows have been going late and its only last year I began to get any say in the matter. I would like the cows to be calving janurary, feburary and march and be finished then. I would try calving them down at 2 year olds but at the moment the main priority is to try and pull back the calving. If they are march 11 heifers they are too young I would say, Could wind up with a bit of explaning to do to the department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

13spanner wrote: »
    mc10scp11aa.jpg
    A before and after of Hazel shrub clearing in the Burren. Over 12 hectares cleared altogether :eek: All the stumps had to be sprayed with some roundup biograde stuff. I got a week of spraying. Never again want to see a hazel bush haha. Ye might recognize the mini-digger in the ''before'' shot. It's on dry ground this time :)
    dscf0040ph.jpg
    The CAT, mulcher and all.
    what size stuff will that mulcher handle ? class job

moy83 wrote: »
    what size stuff will that mulcher handle ? class job

The one on the cat will handle anything up to 12 inches but you will be going slow, you'd be struggling in a hedge with the one on the takeuchi;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

Do you let the Hazel rot down now or collect it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Figerty wrote: »
    Do you let the Hazel rot down now or collect it?
    The mulcher burst it down into small pieces. We left it wherever it fell to rot. There was talk of people doing research into using it as a fuel for stoves and things. Not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭limo_100

That heifer was born august 2010...Our calving period is not quite in line with that of the better farm programme at the moment:rolleyes: Personally were calving down at around 30 months but thats mainly because over the last 5 or 6 years cows have been going late and its only last year I began to get any say in the matter. I would like the cows to be calving janurary, feburary and march and be finished then. I would try calving them down at 2 year olds but at the moment the main priority is to try and pull back the calving. If they are march 11 heifers they are too young I would say, Could wind up with a bit of explaning to do to the department.

ha who is our calving spread is all over the place. no sorry there born march 2010 so that will have her calving at 30months aswell. we would like the most of the cows calving before xmas but thats easier said than done

limo_100 wrote: »
    ha who is our calving spread is all over the place. no sorry there born march 2010 so that will have her calving at 30months aswell. we would like the most of the cows calving before xmas but thats easier said than done
    30 months would be the ideal time to have them calving I think, Maybe someone else has an opinion??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

The mulcher burst it down into small pieces. We left it wherever it fell to rot. There was talk of people doing research into using it as a fuel for stoves and things. Not sure though.

Just out of curiosity, how long did that job take from start to finish? Just the one machine at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

after numerous questions and posts on the topic I went and bought a quad sprayer a few weeks back and did a lot of nettles on paddock boundaries and the like with grazon 90 one night before rain was forecast.

I was down to look the other night, think I got a good enough kill :)

deadnettles.jpg

Dont start on the frickin docks in the background, that paddock's getting reseeded, trust me.

Also I like to think of myself as a top quality farmer, look at the use of ratchet straps here instead of the cruder baler twine :)

cladding1.jpg
    cladding2.jpg

This sheeting was first on my winter projects list as it's under cover, but it's just been bumped up to this saturday. If for no reason other than to get back my straps!

• Advertisement

johngalway wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how long did that job take from start to finish? Just the one machine at it?
    Monday to Saturday, 9 to 6. There was the big CAT digger with a mulcher and the mini digger aswell. 3 of us spraying the stumps.

Post number 300 haha :D

Heres a place I sprayed last April, It was absolutely fleeced with rushes before I did it. They were strong too as they hadnt been cut in 5 years. An odd one sprouting here and there now but ill get them in the spring. Gone very strong for grazing cause we are way understocked. Some result though, 45 acres back in grass:D
    Photo0122.jpg

Here's a bit of it that i didnt do just to give ye an idea of what it was like beforehand

Photo0123.jpg

Heres a place I sprayed last April, It was absolutely fleeced with rushes before I did it. They were strong too as they hadnt been cut in 5 years. An odd one sprouting here and there now but ill get them in the spring. Gone very strong for grazing cause we are way understocked. Some result though, 45 acres back in grass:D
    Photo0122.jpg

Here's a bit of it that i didnt do just to give ye an idea of what it was like beforehand

Photo0123.jpg

Great work lads, looks very well. The mulching part and spraying the stumps... what ratio were ye mixing the roundup and were ye using napsacks or what? Did ye need a line or using dye to identify those stumps sprayed? Or just tractor sprayed the lot?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

JohnBoy wrote: »
    ratchet straps

Ratchet straps for me = Slackline to play on! New sport for the kids :)

Great work lads, looks very well. The mulching part and spraying the stumps... what ratio were ye mixing the roundup and were ye using napsacks or what? Did ye need a line or using dye to identify those stumps sprayed? Or just tractor sprayed the lot?

Cheers
    It was 4:1 with water. ''Roundup Bioactive'' or something like that. For the first day we had no dye so we were trying to trace our steps. Not easy when you're looking at half an acre of stumps! The 2nd day we got sorted with dye, thank God! We had plenty roundup so we didn't spare it :D We used hand held sprayers like this.

It was 4:1 with water. ''Roundup Bioactive'' or something like that. For the first day we had no dye so we were trying to trace our steps. Not easy when you're looking at half an acre of stumps! The 2nd day we got sorted with dye, thank God! We had plenty roundup so we didn't spare it :D We used hand held sprayers like this.

Did many of them sprout again, There was a lot of them covered up with the mulch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Heres a place I sprayed last April, It was absolutely fleeced with rushes before I did it.

Good job! It seems a field that is a bit water logged going by the yellowish grass sections. Have you sorted out drainage? You don't want the rushes making a quick return!

btw Was it Mortone you used on them?

Muckit wrote: »
    Good job! It seems a field that is a bit water logged going by the yellowish grass sections. Have you sorted out drainage? You don't want the rushes making a quick return!

btw Was it Mortone you used on them?

No it was mcpa in the form of agroxone 50, its actually not that wet at all. Not a whole lot we can do about the drainage. Some of it floods if you get a few days awful heavy rain, it was flooded for 2 days last week so thats why the grass is gone yellowish. A river comes up from underground through a swallow hole and floods it but it only happens 2 or 3 times during the year and normally only stays a day or 2 so cant do much about the drainage. It only floods the 7 or 8 acres in the picture anyway so not the end of the world. Ideally I would like to reseed it but would be afraid of the clay getting washed away if a flood came!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

No it was mcpa in the form of agroxone 50, its actually not that wet at all. Not a whole lot we can do about the drainage. Some of it floods if you get a few days awful heavy rain, it was flooded for 2 days last week so thats why the grass is gone yellowish. A river comes up from underground through a swallow hole and floods it but it only happens 2 or 3 times during the year and normally only stays a day or 2 so cant do much about the drainage. It only floods the 7 or 8 acres in the picture anyway so not the end of the world. Ideally I would like to reseed it but would be afraid of the clay getting washed away if a flood came!!

I see. I can empathise with your flooding situation. have approx 15acres that floods by the same means (swallow holes), but luckily or unlucky it only happens in the Oct to the following April when the water table rises. You have good grass there for land that floods and hasn't been reseeded.

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    I see. I can empathise with your flooding situation. have approx 15acres that floods by the same means (swallow holes), but luckily or unlucky it only happens in the Oct to the following April when the water table rises. You have good grass there for land that floods and hasn't been reseeded.

It grew like hell when I cut the rushes and it hasnt been grazed since july, Got no fertiliser for a few years either. The quality of the grass isint great though but its still better then rushes. I wouldnt mind pulling a subsoiler through it and see how it works out but nobody I know has one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement