Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

polod wrote: »
    Tidy looking job there :) ....are they hard to put up ?

Like anything, not hard if you know what you're doing! ;) Like them with the 4 rails rather than 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Good job Muckit.
    We put up a nice bit at home, when it's done well it looks great.
    The opposite is also true!

Bizzum wrote: »
    Good job Muckit.
    We put up a nice bit at home, when it's done well it looks great.
    The opposite is also true!

Your dead right! I hope my small run of it falls into the first category!

I think it's a combination of using good quality materials and attention to detail when putting it up.

postleveler.jpg
    Had a small level on the post (like the one above). The lad on the track machine could see it as he shoved them down (I know! unreal eye sight! I'd have to be up beside it!:o)

Put down the two end posts, then pulled a line tight top and bottom.

Posts are 5"X3"s at 8' c/c
    Rails are 16' 4"X2". Cut 7" spacers for between them. (So suppose ~11" c/c) Rails staggered every second rail. Screwed rails to posts with 5X80mm Rawlplug green decking screws (they've a 25 year warranty)
    All timber pressured treated larch.

I didn't bother bevelling the tops of posts with the chain saw.

Some lads paint them black, but I think they look nicer like this. Might stick a decking oil on it next year.

Muckit wrote: »
    Your dead right! I hope my small run of it falls into the first category!

You know full well it's a top of the range job!
    Even down to the little detail of screwing the rails on, Much better than nails!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

You know full well it's a top of the range job!
    Even down to the little detail of screwing the rails on, Much better than nails!

It looks very impressive to those of us who think a screw is a nail that's a bit harder to hammer in.

LC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Nails are a pure waste of effort, just give them time and they'll pull. Screws are indeed the best option for those jobs.

LostCovey wrote: »
    It looks very impressive to those of us who think a screw is a nail that's a bit harder to hammer in.

LC

Ah that's brilliant :D:D I spend ages trying to teach lads the difference at work :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Some lads around here say the galvanise nails are better because they move with the timber as it swells and shrinks with the weather , as opposed to the tight grip the screws have and the heads pop off with movement . Any thoughts on that ?

moy83 wrote: »
    Some lads around here say the galvanise nails are better because they move with the timber as it swells and shrinks with the weather , as opposed to the tight grip the screws have and the heads pop off with movement . Any thoughts on that ?

I couldn't say. But if this was the case would alot of decks not be popping screw heads? I haven't heard of any. I put soemdecking down for the sis in 2008 and no probs so far. That's not to say you haven't a point. Time will tell. The screws do come with a 25 year warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

moy83 wrote: »

Not if you get them in ....... Supply :D The heads pop off when you're hammering them in!

Never had the head of a screw pop off :confused:

I used to use glavanised nails making wooden troughs. Waste of time, they'd never, ever, hold. On the other hand, screw them together? Tight as a drum. Another lad done my collecting pen with post and rail, and nails :rolleyes: Gaps, gaps and more gaps. Had to put in screws to do it right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Maybe cheap nails or poorly treated timber was used . I have seen the screw heads pop alright the odd time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

johngalway wrote: »
    Not if you get them in ....... Supply :D The heads pop off when you're hammering them in!

Never had the head of a screw pop off :confused:

I used to use glavanised nails making wooden troughs. Waste of time, they'd never, ever, hold. On the other hand, screw them together? Tight as a drum. Another lad done my collecting pen with post and rail, and nails :rolleyes: Gaps, gaps and more gaps. Had to put in screws to do it right.

You won't beat good quality screws, either (Spax, I think are the ones in Connacht Gold, really good quality). On the other hand those multipacks, from a certain well-known German supermarket chain........they lose their heads immediately if you screw them into anything denser than butter.

Another revelation for me has been panel pins and glue for small jobs, like drawers, pigeonholes etc. So much tidier than screws for (slightly) tasty jobs where you want a finish rather than brute strength.

I know that ye all discovered these tips years ago, but its nice to learn something new. I did woodwork in school, but all we did was making fiddly dovetails and cutting 10mm waste off the ends of perfect white deal.

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

You won't beat good quality screws, either (Spax, I think are the ones in Connacht Gold, really good quality). On the other hand those multipacks, from a certain well-known German supermarket chain........they lose their heads immediately if you screw them into anything denser than butter.

Another revelation for me has been panel pins and glue for small jobs, like drawers, pigeonholes etc. So much tidier than screws for (slightly) tasty jobs where you want a finish rather than brute strength.

I know that ye all discovered these tips years ago, but its nice to learn something new. I did woodwork in school, but all we did was making fiddly dovetails and cutting 10mm waste off the ends of perfect white deal.

LC

Haha don't forget the haunched mortice and tenon, the cross halving and the bridle joint, old stalwarths....:)

I have seen the odd screw head pop, but only the odd one.
    Timber mainly expands/contracts in one direction: across the grain.
    I would think a rail warping would exert more pressure on the fixings than the normal expansion with weather.

You won't beat good quality screws (Spax)

Yes spax (in green boxes) are very good quality screws, but you'I pay well for them.

Spax_Screws.jpg

Alot of lads don't factor in this cost when pricing jobs 'ah sure it's only a few screws!' I spent around €17+vat on the box of screws for that relatively small run of Post&rail.

A Ch heifer calf a few days old.........Chilling out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

winteragehay.jpg
    Feeding Hay in the winterage, February 2011

img2840xj.jpg
    Himself following in the baler. The most genuine man you'd ever meet. July 2011 was the first time a baler had been in that field. History in the making! :D

A country road I came across.

13spanner wrote: »
    img2840xj.jpg
    Himself following in the baler. The most genuine man you'd ever meet. July 2011 was the first time a baler had been in that field. History in the making! :D

Kavanagh was right.............."Every old man I see reminds me of my father"..................I may google for the rest!

• Advertisement

img2840xj.jpg

I love how the lad mowing just mowed around the gate!! That wasn't you was it 13spanner? :D The cattle coming in after would have a good munch on those headlands.

Muckit wrote: »
    I love how the lad mowing just mowed around the gate!! That wasn't you was it 13spanner? :D The cattle coming in after would have a good munch on those headlands.
    Oh a right lazy mans job! Wasn't me, I swear! :D There's a drain there so we couldn't go too severe on headlands. That man you see there would be the last to complain anyway. I've alot of value on him.

img2842t.jpg
    He followed the baler around raking in any little bit it missed.

img2845qn.jpg
    A wide baler or a narrow road? Both maybe :D

img2702fz.jpg
    Last one for today. North Clare baking during the madness of first cuts 2011. Photo's like these keep the winter short for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

hmm cool photo, what kinda trees are those I wonder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

img2702fz.jpg
    Last one for today. North Clare baking during the madness of first cuts 2011. Photo's like these keep the winter short for me :D

lovely shot, now if you could just photoshop that zetor out...just kidding ;)
    my kubota is over with the local boys, I mangled my hydraulic couplings :mad:

lovely shot, now if you could just photoshop that zetor out...just kidding ;)
    my kubota is over with the local boys, I mangled my hydraulic couplings :mad:
    The Kubota's are lovely tractors when they're working :D Our own has blown a handful of fuses with the air seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Some great photos there lads. I'm really enjoying this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

There is surely a film maker somewhere that would use that road in something like a Harry Potter film.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement