Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mac Donagh Station Shopping Centre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Has anyone been to the drum museum that's there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

kleefarr wrote: »
    Has anyone been to the drum museum that's there?

There's a drum museum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    There's a drum museum?

+1

Yeah. I was a bit gob-smacked.

When I was first in there, I looked at the map on the wall near Dunne's near the trolleys. It said that there was a drum museum round the back of River Island or somewhere near there. I didn't have time to look and wondered if anyone had been?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I wonder does "drum" refer to the shape of those circular parts of the place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 mumsy

I heard that the "drum museum" is not a drum museum but the drum refers to the shape of the building. Eddie Rockets is planed for the other "drum" at the Hebron roundabout.:)
    There are kiosks planed for the next few weeks and bowling in May.

Drum Museum.

How thick of me to think it was actually, A FACKING DRUM MUSEUM.

Whose bloody idea was it to call it that? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mumsy

i know!! Sure if we all donate a few cymbals etc it mightstill happen for you ha ha

:D

I thought it may have been something more along the lines of drums from different countries. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

kleefarr wrote: »
    :D

I thought it may have been something more along the lines of drums from different countries. :rolleyes:

Drums throughout the century. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Well, it might drum up some business for the shopping centre...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

Boom Boom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭harlem

mumsy wrote: »
    I heard that the "drum museum" is not a drum museum but the drum refers to the shape of the building. Eddie Rockets is planed for the other "drum" at the Hebron roundabout.:)
    There are kiosks planed for the next few weeks and bowling in May.

Bring it on...I lOVE Eddie's about time there was one down this end of the country! :)

Haven't ventured near the centre myself yet, its too much like hard work for me having to battle the traffic to get over that side of town imo.

I wonder how the proposed Citimart will fare business wise if Mc Donagh junction isn't doing so well :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If they can get M&S and/or Tesco I'd say they'll do fairly well. Yet-another-Dunnes-Stores isn't any great unique selling point for MacDonagh Juntion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Stephen wrote: »
    If they can get M&S and/or Tesco I'd say they'll do fairly well. Yet-another-Dunnes-Stores isn't any great unique selling point for MacDonagh Juntion!

+ 1 I'm so sick of Dunnes - I'd rather go to Carlow and shop in Tesco's. If they or M&S had gone into Macdonagh it would have been a much better selling point.

I agree. M&S or Tesco would have been a major advantage
    for that shopping center. As it stands, the shopping center's anchor shop is a complete replication of another Dunne's in the city.

You would have thought that whoever is in charge of handling applications for the shopping center would have vetoed the move?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Presumably a case of money talks....
    Also, the carpark is ****e and hopefully the other potential candidates were holding out for a bigger and better location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kitty_kilkenny

White Elephant Junction would be a more appropriate name
    I lost an hour of my life wandering around there aimlessly last week.
    If I had leased a shop there to do business, I'd be very cross...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Think it has opened at a really bad time with the state of the economy now..and this is naturally a very quite time of year for shopping.
    There are so many shopping centres similar now in the Leinster/Munster area, MacDonagh Junction is just a clone of what you can get in Newbridge, Carlow, Dublin, Waterford, Limerick, Cork etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Ah come on mfitzy, the economy is hardly on its last legs now!

Yes, it's a quiet time of the year for shopping but the general development of that area is good for Kilkenny.

I think the big mistake was letting Dunnes become the anchor tennant. It's nothing new especially compared to the much larger store on Kieran Street.

Hopefully when the other units are filled, the hotel and bowling alley open, it will become a more vibrant place?

• Advertisement

mick_irl wrote: »
    Ah come on mfitzy, the economy is hardly on its last legs now!

Yes, it's a quiet time of the year for shopping but the general development of that area is good for Kilkenny.

I think the big mistake was letting Dunnes become the anchor tennant. It's nothing new especially compared to the much larger store on Kieran Street.

Hopefully when the other units are filled, the hotel and bowling alley open, it will become a more vibrant place?

+ 1 with all the houses gone up at that end of town the town did need to start spreading out - its a royal pain to have all the shopping on/just off high street but letting Dunnes in as the anchor tennant really was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

ztoical wrote: »
    but letting Dunnes in as the anchor tennant really was a mistake.

That's what I think was the biggest mistake, its more of a token store and the main Dunnes is still Kierans St. If a marks and Spensers or Tesco was the anchor it would of made a huge difference drawing more people to the centre.

The centre I think is very nicely built and a fine structure but I still hate the car park.

was in today to meet a friend for coffee and must say with the tiny bit of sun we got it was lovely sitting out under the big glass roof - come summer [if we get decent] weather I'd say it will be nice there.

Also saw theres a pic and mix sweet factory and a HB swirl it gone up in front of Dunnes.

BingoBongo wrote: »
    That's what I think was the biggest mistake, its more of a token store and the main Dunnes is still Kierans St. If a marks and Spensers or Tesco was the anchor it would of made a huge difference drawing more people to the centre.

i remember when Superquinn first opened and loads of people from thurles came over to do their weekly shopping - even thou there was a dunnes, tescos and supervalue in thurles it was a big novelty to do it somewhere new. Getting a new store into the town would have given the center something to sell its self on rather then o look dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Nil Recurring

I heard Dunnes and TK Maxx are going out of there,not enough business.I hate the place,I only ever wander up for Zavvi now and then.Its way too big,and theres like 2 benches in the whole place,parkings a nightmare.
    It'll be interesting to see how the old Mart development goes,just 2 minutes down the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It wouldn't surprise me if shops started pulling out (but not Zavvi please!!!!!!!!!) and the others which are scheduled to open never do. There's something wrong about the mix of shops in there that I can't quite put my finger on. Is it that they lack the "browse" factor? I know Penneys and Heatons in the Market Cross aren't the most upmarket of stores but they're always worth nipping into to see if there's something interesting for sale.

Thing is, you need to have a reason to go there and there's nothing compelling in McDoughnut Junction. There should also be a good newsagents in the centre, a good bookshop (an Easons or Waterstones type shop), a decent shoe shop (not Barratts which is scarcely a step up from Shoe Zone) and a better range of clothes shops. There are too many clothes shops in there that are very shiny shiny but not actually selling much. And of course, the anchors are all wrong. TK Maxx is a glorified bargain bin and I'm told it's far inferior to the ones in Dublin. As for Dunnes - it'd serve them right if they have to pull out. Were they doing a 'dog in the manger' by going in there? Far better to have had a Tesco or a Marks & Spencer.

was in yesterday round 2.30 and to have say place was fairly lively. Not mad busy but for a tuesday afternoon there were a good few people running around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They just need to get it established properly..it is fine development by any standards and a great addition to Kilkenny. Many towns and cities around the country (and region) would kill for a development like this I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

anyone know if tk maxx is still open here?

• Advertisement

sam34 wrote: »
    anyone know if tk maxx is still open here?

It certainly is :)

Advertisement