Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copyrighting question?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

What about copyright?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Tallon wrote: »
    What about copyright?

How does one copyright music?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

Hey,
    I've done a little research on this in the past. Copyright is implicit once a work has been made. That means the songs you write are automatically copyrighted as soon as you make them, once they are original of course. The major issue is how to prove the copyright if it ever comes to it. There are a few ways to do it as I remember, including getting the work signed in a solicitors office (I don't know if that is very easy or cheap to sort out).

The other way is to post it to yourself then keep the envelope somewhere safe. That way, you have it sealed and dated from the post office. Then if there is ever a problem just produce the envelope as proof.

As far as how long copyright lasts, that's a whole other story. Take a gander on google!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

aido179 wrote: »

The other way is to post it to yourself then keep the envelope somewhere safe. That way, you have it sealed and dated from the post office. Then if there is ever a problem just produce the envelope as proof.

I wish this was in the FAQ here because I see 'poor man's copyright' referred to frequently and it is simply not correct.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_man%27s_copyright

http://www.mntechlaw.com/copyright.html

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Meehanmeehan

As long as ye don't copyright any chugging open E riffs..

• Advertisement

As long as ye don't copyright any chugging open E riffs..

Great contribution, thanks!

We play our stuff in C# anyway!

What do you think will happen if you don't copyright them?

What do you think will happen if you don't copyright them?

I think if we "don't copyright them", random users on the INTERNET will continue to bombard all my threads with pointless, unhelpful and moronic statements/comments/questions for all of eternity.

It may also spark another bang, perhaps bigger than the BIG bang and our band would be seen as the satirical metal band who morphed the world into the 'New Era' with their free-to-download album, ironicly named 'Uncopyrighted Chaos'.

Those among many other things might happen!

As the saying goes; Ask a silly question......

It may also spark another bang, perhaps bigger than the BIG bang and our band would be seen as the satirical metal band who morphed the world into the 'New Era' with their free-to-download album, ironicly named 'Uncopyrighted Chaos'.

Those among many other things might happen!
    I'd pay to see that!
    Also free-to-download albums are a good idea
    Also Uncopyrighted Chaos could be a good name for a song/album, hope noone steals it
    I think if we "don't copyright them", random users on the INTERNET will continue to bombard all my threads with pointless, unhelpful and moronic statements/comments/questions for all of eternity.
    If you ever visit Youtube you'll see this has happened to every copyrighted song ever, might as well get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 40 CrimsonSounds

Have you considered Emeraz ?

http://www.emeraz.com/menu.php?menu_id=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Feeling Groovy

Just mp3 the file/song and email it to yourself. The email will be dated and timed and the file will be available to download from the email it was included with in the future. This will cover any stealing of your intellectual property which is what copyright infringement is.

Also if you dont trust the electronic system, in the past folk have posted it to themselves or in some cases have gone to their local garda station and got them to stamp a sealed envelope.

Just mp3 the file/song and email it to yourself. The email will be dated and timed and the file will be available to download from the email it was included with in the future. This will cover any stealing of your intellectual property which is what copyright infringement is.

Also if you dont trust the electronic system, in the past folk have posted it to themselves or in some cases have gone to their local garda station and got them to stamp a sealed envelope.

see also : poor man's copyright

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Feeling Groovy

Doesnt matter what you call it, it will stand up in court. Ive done enough law modules to have experienced it and to know about it. The cost of running a band in this current 'scene' is hard enough without having to worry about forking over hundreads. If we went running to 'professionals' for every problem we came across this industry would never see most of the music it produces come to fruition and more often than not you can do twice as good for free what a professional can charge you hundreds for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I wish this was in the FAQ here because I see 'poor man's copyright' referred to frequently and it is simply not correct.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_man%27s_copyright

http://www.mntechlaw.com/copyright.html

Who cares about US law? Why would an Irish forum FAQ refer to US law?

IMRO recommends this method.

How about an Irish reference?

Well here's one of our tracks;

After Earth - we won't break.
    http://soundcloud.com/user7309627/we-wont-break

How exactly will that change the fact? Putting .ie proves nothing.

There is an industry Irish website that propogates this myth but I won't link to it because it only reinforces the problem.

Every legal professional I have discussed this with insists that there is no protection offered by this method. The links I provided support their position.

The real problem is that there is, to my knowledge, no European equivalent to the US Copyright Office.
    I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?
    The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.

Even if a CD sent in the post was opened in court it only proves that you have a CD in an envelope.

Here's some more links:

http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2006/08/25/the-myth-of-poor-mans-copyright/

Here's one in the UK
    http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-about/c-about-faq/c-about-faq-protect.htm

My emphasis:
    Copyright protection is automatic as soon as there is a record in any form of what has been created (there is no official registration). However, steps can be taken by the creator of a work to provide evidence that he or she had the work at a particular time. For example, a copy could be deposited with a bank or solicitor. Alternatively, a creator could send himself or herself a copy by special delivery post (which gives a clear date stamp on the envelope), leaving the envelope unopened on its return. A number of private companies operate unofficial registers, but it would be sensible to check carefully what you will be paying for before choosing this route.
    It is important to note, that this does not prove that a work is original or created by you. But it may be useful to be able to show that the work was in your possession at a particular date, for example where someone else claims that you have copied something of theirs that was only created at a later date.

How exactly will that change the fact? Putting .ie proves nothing.

There is an industry Irish website that propogates this myth but I won't link to it because it only reinforces the problem.

Every legal professional I have discussed this with insists that there is no protection offered by this method. The links I provided support their position.

The real problem is that there is, to my knowledge, no European equivalent to the US Copyright Office.
    I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?
    The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.

Even if a CD sent in the post was opened in court it only proves that you have a CD in an envelope.

Here's some more links:

http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2006/08/25/the-myth-of-poor-mans-copyright/

Here's one in the UK
    http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-about/c-about-faq/c-about-faq-protect.htm

My emphasis:
    Copyright protection is automatic as soon as there is a record in any form of what has been created (there is no official registration). However, steps can be taken by the creator of a work to provide evidence that he or she had the work at a particular time. For example, a copy could be deposited with a bank or solicitor. Alternatively, a creator could send himself or herself a copy by special delivery post (which gives a clear date stamp on the envelope), leaving the envelope unopened on its return. A number of private companies operate unofficial registers, but it would be sensible to check carefully what you will be paying for before choosing this route.
    It is important to note, that this does not prove that a work is original or created by you. But it may be useful to be able to show that the work was in your possession at a particular date, for example where someone else claims that you have copied something of theirs that was only created at a later date.

Another waste of time. How about beginning by showing a reference to Irish law? Is that so hard? If someone is trying to copyright a song in Ireland, why should we care what US/UK law says in regard to this, unless we want to protect the copyright in these jurisdictions? You seem to think that US/UK law governs Ireland. It doesn't.

It's like debating cannabis use in Ireland, and then linking to a country where it is legal, and then saying its legal to do so in Ireland also.

Go ahead and use whatever system you think will work.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dogmax

copyright is simple if you have a recording of your work then put them in a register envelope them seal the envelope with the post office stamp and send them to yourself do not open the envelope, then put your songs on your laptop or PC and send them to your email that will cover you for world wide copyright then use the Internet to let the world hear your songs because the Internet is your world wide audience and if your songs are use by someone else without your permission then let them make millions and then take them to court and sue them for everything they made from your work, and remember don't think about it just do it, all the very best of luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement