Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gatso Van opposite Great Gas on Ennis Road

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

its not as simple as "don't speed and you won't get fined". I don't have any points or fines on my licence but that doesn't mean I can't give out about limits and GATSO sites.

While some people might refuse to accept limits and being a danger to others on the road, there is absolutely no excuse for the judge who recently make a farce of the law when he made the above comments. I remember reading the article at the time and just couldn't believe it that in this day, there are still judges getting sentences so very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭source

its not as simple as "don't speed and you won't get fined". I don't have any points or fines on my licence but that doesn't mean I can't give out about limits and GATSO sites.

Actually it is as simple as don't speed and you have nothing to worry about. Why do you think it's not that simple?

Of course you have every right to give out about limits and gatso sites, I give out about limits myself and have seen the vans in some stupid (read dangerous) places, which I have been vocal about.

The area being discussed at the moment is at the bottom of a hill, with business around, including a business that would have a large amount of children attending. It's also the site of a sports ground and a shopping center. In my mind I think it's a good place for them to be, once not parked stupidly as the high traffic volume and high number of pedestrian in the area certainly warrants them being there. Because of this I don't think it's a stupid place for them to be and I don't think people should be giving out about it.

People get tunnel vision when it comes to these vans, ignoring the facts all around them and make presumptions based on biases they have, and to be honest I can't say I blame them. But a little bit of awareness of what's going on around the area will help people figure out what's going on.

At the end of the day they're enforcing a law that is in place for the common good. Whether or not people agree with that law is irrelevant. If you feel that strongly about it, you should go to your local TD, and lobby for it to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭phog

source wrote: »
    Actually it is as simple as don't speed and you have nothing to worry about. Why do you think it's not that simple?

Of course you have every right to give out about limits and gatso sites, I give out about limits myself and have seen the vans in some stupid (read dangerous) places, which I have been vocal about.

The area being discussed at the moment is at the bottom of a hill, with business around, including a business that would have a large amount of children attending. It's also the site of a sports ground and a shopping center. In my mind I think it's a good place for them to be, once not parked stupidly as the high traffic volume and high number of pedestrian in the area certainly warrants them being there. Because of this I don't think it's a stupid place for them to be and I don't think people should be giving out about it.

People get tunnel vision when it comes to these vans, ignoring the facts all around them and make presumptions based on biases they have, and to be honest I can't say I blame them. But a little bit of awareness of what's going on around the area will help people figure out what's going on.

At the end of the day they're enforcing a law that is in place for the common good. Whether or not people agree with that law is irrelevant. If you feel that strongly about it, you should go to your local TD, and lobby for it to be changed.

Good sensible post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Last week I witnessed at least 20 examples of crashed cars parked in the hard shoulders of the country's motorways. I hope this doesn't mean we will have these vans introduced onto our motorways now.

Out my neck of the woods in Co Clare we have one of these speed camera locations. TV3 announced on its news programme that this location was statistically the most successful (or profitable) in catching speeding motorists in the country. From what I have learned about this stretch of a road was there was one fatality about 15 years ago, and with the greatest respect to the deceased and his family, it is learned that he was drunk and it was suicide.

The location of this van is after a tight bend, on a straight stretch of about 300metres coming up to another sharp bend. Lots of my mates have been caught and fined for doing between 51&55kmph. Even if you wanted to go through this area at 80km, you find it practically impossible.

I just want to see more common sense as regards to the locations of these vans, it's a pity that most of the dodgy stretches of road don't have adequate space for a van to park safely at the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

source wrote: »

what I meant was that there is more to the discussion than just a simple "don't break the law and you won't get fined". the discussion was about locations of GATSOs. I'm not against GATSO vans in the least and I do believe that alot of the stupid driving which was the norm in the past is now gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tippboi

They must be making a mint if there there nearly 3 times a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭phog

tippboi wrote: »
    They must be making a mint if there there nearly 3 times a week!

They can only make money if drivers ignore the speed limits.

Advertisement