Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The top 100 video games of all time

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Surprised that Mass Effect 1 or 3 isn't on that list. It's disappointing that the original ending to ME3 overshadows just how great the rest of the game was. Also point and click adventure games, the likes of Monkey Island and Grim Fandango, never get a look in.

Yeah, i only recently played ME3, thought it was excellent tbh... really enjoyed the ending too (the DLC'd one anyway). Probably the best single player i've played in the last year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So Mass Effect 3's worth playing then? I'm on ME2 at the moment and I didn't check the ME3 thread as it'd be ridden with spoilers. Everyone I ask about it just moans about the ending.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Well if you play it now you will get the updated directors cut ending which makes the end go from bad to okay.

Its still a great game imo, regardless of the ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

10 Mario games and not one Mario Cart , no Command and Conquer , bioshock barely makes it in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Azza wrote: »
    Well if you play it now you will get the updated directors cut ending which makes the end go from bad to okay.

Its still a great game imo, regardless of the ending.

Awesome. Praying my laptop will run it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Super Mario World is the best game ever made!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Must find an emulator to play Zelda OOT, being a fan of the series Ive never actually played this one!!!

What system was it on? Dreamcast???

Must find an emulator to play Zelda OOT, being a fan of the series Ive never actually played this one!!!

haha, get out !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The Panasonic Neo Geo 3DO CD Engine-station 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Magill wrote: »

haha, get out !

Oops! N64, where the hell did I get dreamcast from!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

No Monkey Island? No Sensible Soccer or Kick Off 2? Crap list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Xzbeat

juan.kerr wrote: »
    No Monkey Island? No Sensible Soccer or Kick Off 2? Crap list.

Kick Off 2? Are you serious?!

Oops! N64, where the hell did I get dreamcast from!!!!!

HA, made me laugh :P thought you were trolling !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The only thing I look at when I see a list like this is how many of these games did I play?

Everyone has an opinion and there will never be a definitive top 100 (I challenge a boards top 100! :p) but it must at least mean that most of these games are really good.

Now to check how many I've played.

Edit: I've played 48 and I'd like to play another 6 of the games on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DPayneZero

It's missing Banjo Kazooie in my opinion but a pretty good list over all!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

No Fable 2? I thought it would have made it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Can't see the list at work, due to all moderately entertaining stuff being blocked.

But if Thief: The Dark Project ain't on the list, then the whole list is invalid (disclaimer: In my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Can't see the list at work, due to all moderately entertaining stuff being blocked.

But if Thief: The Dark Project ain't on the list, then the whole list is invalid (disclaimer: In my opinion)

Got bad news for you... It's not on the list.

48/100 isn't bad I guess...

DPayneZero wrote: »
    It's missing Banjo Kazooie in my opinion but a pretty good list over all!

Banjo-Kazooie was amazing, Nintendo should never have let Rare go

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Xzbeat wrote: »
    Banjo-Kazooie was amazing, Nintendo should never have let Rare go

Play their games now, most don't hold up. Even Banjo is pretty good but no Mario 64. They really didn't do much of note other than the excellent Viva Pinata games since they left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Games don't have to hold up. At the time they were great, which is enough, you can't expect peoples favourite games to still be amazing 10-15 years on.
    I tried Medal of Honor : AA recently, it doesn't hold up, but it doesn't detract from the fact it is one of my favourite games of all time and will always be up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Games don't have to hold up. At the time they were great, which is enough, you can't expect peoples favourite games to still be amazing 10-15 years on.
    I tried Medal of Honor : AA recently, it doesn't hold up, but it doesn't detract from the fact it is one of my favourite games of all time and will always be up there.

i disagree .

good games last for awhile

masterpieces last forever . games like super mario bros 3 is still the pinnacle of platformers and even games to this day cant top its genius.

ill even put tetris,pac man, sonic and metal gear solid in there aswell

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SeantheMan wrote: »

A good game will stand the test of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A good game will stand the test of time.

Like Championship Manager 01-02. Still the best in the Champo/FM series which is bizarre that it's not included.

8-10 wrote: »
    Like Championship Manager 01-02. Still the best in the Champo/FM series which is bizarre that it's not included.

It's voted for by users and mostly by americans making the entire thing worthless.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Play their games now, most don't hold up. Even Banjo is pretty good but no Mario 64. They really didn't do much of note other than the excellent Viva Pinata games since they left.

Nah, I don't agree. Diddy Kong was better than Mario Kart 64 and how can you forget about Goldeneye? I'd still rather play that than CoD or Halo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Xzbeat wrote: »
    Nah, I don't agree. Diddy Kong was better than Mario Kart 64 and how can you forget about Goldeneye? I'd still rather play that than CoD or Halo

Goldeneye is horrible to play now.

It looks like the order has changed a bit since last time - Goldeneye up to #3 now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement