Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Citizen - Squadron 42

• 10-10-2012 5:16pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, the creator of Wing Commander is making an online, presistant universe space combat sim with monstrous ambition and no publisher support. Sounds bloody amazing, but i'll believe it when i actually see it (probably in about 10 years).

The trailer though...holy **** :eek:

PcGamer wrote:
    The game is running again. This time, giant motors crank back the hangar doors and the fighter zips into a massive asteroid field. Articulated thrusters and turrets react to every control, missiles detach from their pylons and fire up. The pilot hits the correct buttons on his joystick for each action. I ask if the asteroids have physics, if they’re destructible. They do, they are. Fidelity is the game.

I ask Roberts if he can land on top of the carrier and get out. He can, and does. He floats about awkwardly (zero-G movement isn’t animated yet), then returns to the cockpit and does a fly-by of the carrier’s flight deck. Ideally, he tells me, a friend standing inside the carrier will wave to you as you fly by.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/star-citizen-preview-the-open-world-space-sim-of-our-dreams/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sounds remarkably like EvE. If they can lower the bar of entry to the game and keep the gameplay enjoyable, it could be a winner.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Here is the donation page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Sounds remarkably like EvE. If they can lower the bar of entry to the game and keep the gameplay enjoyable, it could be a winner.
    Well, set in space. Sounds like it'll be more twitch gaming than Excel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I tried E.V.E last week and found it really boring.

No interaction with planets, a 'set' universe and the click and click combat killed it for me.

I hope this doesn't follow that style...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Anyone else having trouble pledging, even on the backup europe site?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone else get a homeworld craving when they saw this?

ED E wrote: »
    Anyone else get a homeworld craving when they saw this?

I've had a Homeworld craving since i finished Homeworld :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

This looks very very interesting indeed.

I really hope this is a success and leads to a new wave of more ambitious PC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I tried E.V.E last week and found it really boring.

No interaction with planets, a 'set' universe and the click and click combat killed it for me.

I hope this doesn't follow that style...

well EVE is not for people who got Foam in the mouth and just want PEW PEW ACTION!!!!!!! MUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DAGA DAGA DAGA!

I started eve few weeks ago and i love what it is, its for a very specific gamer (* no lifer ).

Anyway, this looks really damn good. though i still cant understand what he wants to do. does he want to make a SP game or MMORPG. He tries to make EVe online in one go, but with a lot more dinamic combat? ( which is not bad thing ), but i wonder is he trying to bite a LOT more, then he can chew. EVE was not biult in a day.

I am most interested in the "economy and industrial side" of the game, then combat one. Its a shame he did not talked more about it.

It says "shipping XMAS 2012", so is it almost ready? sounds werid...

edit: Game it self 2014?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'm excited about the game, but the trailer just a bad rip off of the Scar episode of BSG.

well EVE is not for people who got Foam in the mouth and just want PEW PEW ACTION!!!!!!! MUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DAGA DAGA DAGA!

I started eve few weeks ago and i love what it is, its for a very specific gamer (* no lifer ).

Anyway, this looks really damn good. though i still cant understand what he wants to do. does he want to make a SP game or MMORPG. He tries to make EVe online in one go, but with a lot more dinamic combat? ( which is not bad thing ), but i wonder is he trying to bite a LOT more, then he can chew. EVE was not biult in a day.

I am most interested in the "economy and industrial side" of the game, then combat one. Its a shame he did not talked more about it.

It says "shipping XMAS 2012", so is it almost ready? sounds werid...

edit: Game it self 2014?
    "PHHHHHHHHHHHHROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM PEWPEWPWE LAZZZZZZZZZEEEEEEEERSS'' xD

Nah i was thinking more along the lines of planet exploration and an ever expanding universe(I'm a dreamer).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Nah i was thinking more along the lines of planet exploration and an ever expanding universe(I'm a dreamer).

well dust 514 will try do that. Free to play game will be connected to EVE online universe and fps players will interact with eve players. I am still not sure how will it all work in the end, but it just shows how complicated and how deep it has to be for it to work.
    Atm you can interact with planets, but only to build plants and production facilities. its all on the level of menus though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I have this mad dream of ambushing a large carrier with all the crew trying to get to their ships, Me flying through the hanger bay blasting away at everything, killing them before they take off :D oh to dream ....

its all on the level of menus though.
    That's my take on EVE, a menu simulator. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That's what Notch's new game,0x10c, is supposed to be like, isn't it?

humanji wrote: »
    That's what Notch's new game,0x10c, is supposed to be like, isn't it?
    THAT looks interesting....

It's reached $6 million, making it the biggest crowd funded game of all time (afaik). Pretty impressive amount of money, and if it can achieve what its setting out to do, it could be an amazing game.

Roll on 2014 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

6 million?! Hope he doesn't feck off with the money now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

looks interesting. 2 years off though:( Anyone here donate - which package did you go for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

well dust 514 will try do that. Free to play game will be connected to EVE online universe and fps players will interact with eve players. I am still not sure how will it all work in the end, but it just shows how complicated and how deep it has to be for it to work.
    Atm you can interact with planets, but only to build plants and production facilities. its all on the level of menus though.

You forgot the Playstation 3 only part. Thats gonna kill Dust 514.

Hell its like they are trying to drive people to other games like, for example, Planetside 2...A (Fully) Sony owned, Free to Play, Sci-Fi, MMOFPS, with Vehicles, Aircraft, Sidegrade weapons and camo....wait a minute!!!!:eek:

Edit: Edited to show I ment Dust 514 failing, not Star Citizen, man I have high hopes for Star Citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Caved in and backed this. It look awesome tbh. Plus I'll forget about it completely and it'll feel like I'm getting it for free.

danthefan wrote: »
    Caved in and backed this. It look awesome tbh. Plus I'll forget about it completely and it'll feel like I'm getting it for free.
    Or....

..forget about it entirely and said developer sits on his beach in malibu while you try remember where your $20 went 3 years ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If he tried to abscond he'd be hunted down by the investors and their goons. Remember they put in far more than we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Advertisement