Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iPhone snobbery in Corporate world

Options
  • 21-01-2012 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭

this sh1t is seriously startin to piss me off. The amount of times i'm seein a new app advertised, only available for iphone. What the fcuk is wrong with these people??? how many million android users is there worldwide??? The latest snobby gits to do this are Setanta Sports, watching the match there on telly, my ears prick as the commentator mentions the new Setanta Scores app. Available for?? You fcuking guessed it. iphone only. wànkers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

manual_man wrote: »
    this sh1t is seriously startin to piss me off. The amount of times i'm seein a new app advertised, only available for iphone. What the fcuk is wrong with these people??? how many million android users is there worldwide??? The latest snobby gits to do this are Setanta Sports, watching the match there on telly, my ears prick as the commentator mentions the new Setanta Scores app. Available for?? You fcuking guessed it. iphone only. wànkers

Iphone users buy more apps, simple. We Android users have a better selection of free ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Iphone users buy more apps, simple. We Android users have a better selection of free ones.

The Setanta app is a free app. I've noticed this for other free apps recently. It's just snobbery, simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It's just snobbery, simple as

It is anything but.

The developer tools and libraries available for iOS are top class and, more importantly, have been around longer. Therefore you have more people who are familiar with programming iOS than Android. Though, of course that is changing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    It is anything but.

The developer tools and libraries available for iOS are top class and, more importantly, have been around longer. Therefore you have more people who are familiar with programming iOS than Android. Though, of course that is changing.

Yes but there are now more Android users in the world than iOS so would it not make sense for companies to develop both simultaneously?

Fair enough for game developers who get paid more for Apple Apps so that's understandable why they would be released first but free Apps from multinationals is just plain thick.

The Irish Independent and Ulster Bank for example both only have iOS Apps and have had for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Apps aren't needed for many things in android, coz it's not crippled like the iphone. Just use browser and watch setanta/whatever off the webpage.

Yeah flash kinda sucks, but is usable on modern androids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Go buy an iPhone or gtfo.

Mercedes benz's are advertised every day but I can't afford one.

What a moaner!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 itsyuranan

iPhone snobbery is everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It's easier and more defined to develop for iOS, you only have a small set of devices to develop for, its locked down and restricted so you know what you do is going to work on all versions, it's around longer and has more experienced developers.

It makes financial sense to develop for iPhone first then Android for big companies.

Keano! wrote: »
    Go buy an iPhone or gtfo.

Mercedes benz's are advertised every day but I can't afford one.

What a moaner!

I don't want one ya tit...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

They'll probably get around to doing one eventually if they see there's enough demand, have you dropped them an email? Similarly, if people you know are that worked up about it, get them to send a polite email too.

As for app availability in general, you'd have more reason to complain if you were using any smartphone that isn't iOS or Android based imo.

• Advertisement

They'll probably get around to doing one eventually if they see there's enough demand, have you dropped them an email? Similarly, if people you know are that worked up about it, get them to send a polite email too.

As for app availability in general, you'd have more reason to complain if you were using any smartphone that isn't iOS or Android based imo.

That's not my point. I've seen so many (mostly free) apps for iphone only recently. I don't buy the excuse that it's more difficult to develop for. So what if it is. Android is a well established phone o.s. by now. Developers are clever folks. I'm sure nearly all of them could whack out an Android app no bother. It comes down to poor customer service. Or just pure ignorance. When i see companies like Setanta and others not offering free apps to other platforms, it just galls me. I can't decide whether they're ignorant, or just stupid. Either way it's extremely poor marketing. Alienating millions of people

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

One other factor, though I don't know if its widespread and probably only applies to paid for applications, is that some android developers are being ripped off by people who download their app, strip it of the original developers credentials and upload it to chinese appstores/marketplaces as if they had developed it. I read of a few of the bigger developers are treating Android cautiously because of this trend.

Ballyman wrote: »
    The Irish Independent and Ulster Bank for example both only have iOS Apps and have had for a very long time.

The Indo has an app on the Nokia Store for Symbian here.
    That's not my point. I've seen so many (mostly free) apps for iphone only recently. I don't buy the excuse that it's more difficult to develop for. So what if it is. Android is a well established phone o.s. by now. Developers are clever folks. I'm sure nearly all of them could whack out an Android app no bother. It comes down to poor customer service. Or just pure ignorance. When i see companies like Setanta and others not offering free apps to other platforms, it just galls me. I can't decide whether they're ignorant, or just stupid. Either way it's extremely poor marketing. Alienating millions of people

Just because a mobile OS is used doesn't mean it will automatically get apps. Unless companies see a commercial reason to release an app on any platform it simply isn't going to happen. By targeting the most prominent audience for applications, Setanta will be able to see what works and what doesn't if they choose to produce apps for other platforms imo. It takes time to find developers with the right skills or to get existing developers working properly with different platforms too.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

i love my iphone, so many apps to choose from.....

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Developing for iOS is easier for developers, Plain and simple.

Most of the popular apps are ported to android a few months later.
    Android is much harder to develop for.

Different OS versions
    Different screen sizes
    Some have physical keyboards
    Different buttons and button layouts from different manufacturers
    Different hardware

Mac's suffer the same problem, All the cool applications/Programs/Games are available for the PC, Most never make it to Mac and if they do, it's months and years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

You want apps that are only available for iPhone = You want iPhone

Now I'm off to play GTA III

:p

marketty wrote: »

Na yer alright i'm enjoyin my extra 32gb of memory i didn't have to pay 200 extra quid for :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Na yer alright i'm enjoyin my extra 32gb of memory i didn't have to pay 200 extra quid for :p

what you going to put on it???

I DON'T want an iphone. Why does every iphone user think everyone else wants an iphone. Ha. Yer auld one :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

And how many of your apps support move to SD?

• Advertisement

I wish i had more than 32gb I can't fit in all these great apps. I'm gonna have to get the 4S

Blikes wrote: »

And how many of your apps support move to SD?

what? i don't need to put apps on sd. they run better off internal memory. there's more than enough memory in my phone to store my apps

efb wrote: »

what you going to put on it???

Music, mostly. 33 quid for my 32gb micro sd. savage

love the way the iphone users are trollin this thread btw. i don't even look in the iphone forum. sure why would i. looks like some people are in need of validation :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I was speaking to someone recently who's developing an iOS app for a major site. He told me that once it's developed the Android app will be much quicker and easier to develop because of the work that will already have been done on the Apple api. Maybe this is true of all apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rockstar.gta3&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5yb2Nrc3Rhci5ndGEzIl0. :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    It is anything but.

Bang on the money!

bandit197 wrote: »

For some reason it's marked as incompatible with my phone, even though my phone has an overclocked version of the same chipset in the Xperia Play (which it is compatible with) - Play has an MSM8225, mine has an MSM8225T.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    I was speaking to someone recently who's developing an iOS app for a major site. He told me that once it's developed the Android app will be much quicker and easier to develop because of the work that will already have been done on the Apple api. Maybe this is true of all apps?

Well in that case the apps could be launched simultaneously, since the Android version could be developed quickly once the iphone one is done. But that's not the source of most Android users complaints. It's the fact that many apps just aren't being provided to Android users full stop. Take Ballyman's example of the Irish Independent and Ulster Bank. Apps that have been out for ages, and yet don't have an Android version. I'm sorry but i reiterate my point that some companies are highly ignorant when it comes to releasing apps. I doubt any developer would turn down extra money to develop an Android version. Can you not see how people would see this as snobbish on the part of said companies

Advertisement