Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I have been looking at the 186 visa, which looks like it suits me the best. has anybody experience with this and any advise, or just even point me in the right direction.

186 is a good option if company will nominate you. That's route I went.

They have to nominate you and say they intend to keep you for 2 years (no legal obligation though). My company paid a good chunk of visa cost as well so might be worth asking if they are willing to go that far. Think basic visa app is c $5k plus medicals and ACS assessment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 geoion

Hi All,

I have recently applied for sponsorship visa 457 and it's been nearly 4 weeks since I have lodged our applications. The nomination has been granted and we were asked to do medicals for kids and chest xrays for myself and hubby. Did them and they have also been submitted .
    Just wondering what is the next stage ? Does anyone know how long it will take from now for the visas to be approved?
    Do they ask for anything else? We have submitted the police cert and IELTS english exams too.
    Any advice or info? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

geoion wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have recently applied for sponsorship visa 457 and it's been nearly 4 weeks since I have lodged our applications. The nomination has been granted and we were asked to do medicals for kids and chest xrays for myself and hubby. Did them and they have also been submitted .
    Just wondering what is the next stage ? Does anyone know how long it will take from now for the visas to be approved?
    Do they ask for anything else? We have submitted the police cert and IELTS english exams too.
    Any advice or info? Thanks :)

Police cert, medicals and IELTS on 457?
    First time I hard of that. IELTS isn't required even for PR visa's with an Irish passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »
    Police cert, medicals and IELTS on 457?
    First time I hard of that. IELTS isn't required even for PR visa's with an Irish passport.

IELTS is not required for Irish, Brit, Yank & Canadian passport holders

Page 39
    http://www.immi.gov.au/forms/Documents/1154.pdf

Police Certs are not required unless asked for by case officer (if Criminal record is declared)

Page 44

mandrake04 wrote: »
    IELTS is not required for Irish, Brit, Yank & Canadian passport holders

Page 39

Police Certs are not required unless asked for by case officer (if Criminal record is declared)

Page 44

True, I was probably making an assumption that OP is Irish.

• Advertisement

They do ask for them (police cert or medicals) .If you look on the website it does say if required.
    They ask for more things now. I am in the process of our visa so I am 100% sure. I just had the medicals on 4th of April. So very sure about what they asked.

They do ask for them (police cert or medicals) .If you look on the website it does say if required.

What website are you talking about? Can you post a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Medicals are required for a 457 in some occupations, I didn't need one but my wife did as she works in health care when we got our a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

swaldorf wrote: »
    Hi there. I'm wondering if I could ask your advice on a query I have. I am currently on a WHV (417), but I'm in the process of applying for a 189 skilled independent visa.
    I am a dentist working in Queensland. My query is regarding my partner. He is also a dentist on a 417 Visa, looking for a 189 visa. We will have both completed the IELTS next week and are in the process of our skills assessment from the ADC. I am just enquiring is it better for both of us to apply independently as we meet the requirements, or should one of us apply and put the other as a defacto? The cost of the Visa is not our main concern, but we want to guarantee Visa Approval. Can we place each other as defacto partners on each application or does that affect the application process? Any advice would be appreciated. Many Thanks. :)

Be wary if you apply separately as only one of you might get an invite to submit a visa application. I'd apply in the name of the best applicant and get the 5 extra points for the other's skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Darraghgt4

hi can someone please tell me if the working holiday visas for oz are still available, i understand there is a certain amount allocated each year? looking to head out and hopefully get into the mines.im a 24 year old male qualified mechanic with 5 years experience which might help getting a visa??if anybody can shed some light it will be very much appreciated!

ps: i hope im in the right thread

• Advertisement

Darraghgt4 wrote: »
    hi can someone please tell me if the working holiday visas for oz are still available, i understand there is a certain amount allocated each year? looking to head out and hopefully get into the mines.im a 24 year old male qualified mechanic with 5 years experience which might help getting a visa??if anybody can shed some light it will be very much appreciated!

ps: i hope im in the right thread

Nope, there is no quota on those visas, you can apply at any time and usually granted within hours, or a couple of days, unless you have criminal conviction or other complicating factors.

Mining is in a significant slowdown here and has shed tens of thousands of jobs over last year. Unless you have some very good contacts in mining sector I wouldn't rely on that as a job prospect.

There is no skills requirement for working holiday visa but your mechanic background will certainly be useful when looking for work.

Oh, and this is probably a good start for all info you need:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056312836

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Darraghgt4

thanks very much.. at least now i dont have to worry about deadlines, so there is no cutoff date atall? the working holiday visas in for canada are all gone for this year i was thinking the same for oz but obviously different country,different policies. as for the mining job i suppose it would be nice to get in plenty of money to be made...i have a few contacts that i can ask.

i would like to head out in hope of eventually finding a decent job,upskilling myself in my chosen career while making a decent living and enjoying myself at the same time..travel,sports ect..i would also like to save a considerable amount of money so i have something to show for it all.

i have no ties and have 7k euro in my pocket..

Darraghgt4 wrote: »
    thanks very much.. at least now i dont have to worry about deadlines, so there is no cutoff date atall? the working holiday visas in for canada are all gone for this year i was thinking the same for oz but obviously different country,different policies. as for the mining job i suppose it would be nice to get in plenty of money to be made...i have a few contacts that i can ask.

i would like to head out in hope of eventually finding a decent job,upskilling myself in my chosen career while making a decent living and enjoying myself at the same time..travel,sports ect..i would also like to save a considerable amount of money so i have something to show for it all.

i have no ties and have 7k euro in my pocket..

No cut off. You can apply and have visa grated, you then just need to enter Aus within 12 months.
    I wouldn't bother applying until plans are firmed though...good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JohnTheGreat

mandrake04 wrote: »
    If you got ACS skills assessment and your employer wants to sponsor then you laughing. You can apply for a direct 186.

You employer just nominates you by registering to sponsor and officially nominating you (a few hundred $$)

You apply for 186 visa which is a permanent resident visa. You don't need an English test or anything if you are using an Irish Passport.

And for the love of God don't let them talk you into a 457 visa, from what you say you have enough for a proper visa.

Hi All, just got word back from my employer - they have lodged their application to create an account, but my boss tells me that it can take up to 6 months ? My current working holiday will expire in July. I leave to go back home in June for my brothers wedding and I am worried they will not let me back in if I'm still waiting on this. Any advise what I can do ? is the 6 months time frame accurate. Even with that approved, I still have to lodge my application. I am getting kind of worried about this! thanks

It could well take up to 6 months for the nomination to be approved.
    You don't need to wait for the nomination to be approved before lodging your application.

If you have a WHV until July, you could go home for the wedding whilst on the WHV, then return on the WHV and lodge the 186 application. At which point you'll get a bridging visa.
    Or you could lodge before you go home, let them know about you trip home and they'll approved a bridging visa B (although prob woint be needed if you've still got the WHV).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JohnTheGreat

Ok, I went to a migration agent and she told me pretty much what you have said Mellor. But it was good to hear I'm on the right track.

So I got my employer to submit the 186 visa, but I found out they skipped the part where they put in my details? Once I found out we logged into the account but see no option to redo that part, have you any idea if that will effect my application ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ollie0o0

Hi,

Has anybody applied for a skills assessment from the AACA for ANZSCO CODE 221213 – External Auditor? I have an undergraduate degree and masters in Accounting and completed my training contract with one of the Big4 in audit. I'm wondering if my work experience will give me points as I'm not sure what the the standard for "Audit & Assurance" is and whether I would have reached it with my Masters. I have also seen on some threads that you are required to have an "audit license" to get points for your experience but I can't see this clarified anywhere.

Also, do you get additional points under this code for being a qualified CA?

I was planning to apply under general accountant but given the restrictions on the number of visas available I'm thinking that external auditor may be a faster process. However, I want to make sure I will get the points I need under this category.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭JR1210

I was granted the 189 Visa last year and was concerned about the initial date of entry in March, my company could not transfer me in time so I wrote to the CO and they lifted the date of entry.. Its interesting to know because every other forum I checked this was not possible

Hi .
    I have applied for a 457 sponsor visa on the 16th march . The nomination was approved, medicals were done and submitted on the 7th of april . And so far on the system its says that application in further progress. The medicals showed finalised on the immi system. Does anyone have an idea how long before we get an answer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Hi, I'm currently in the process of being sponsored for a 457 visa from my employer. Is it 2 years I need to wait before I can apply for PR? Once I get PR is it true that I can leave my current employer and work elsewhere? Which PR visa is it I'd need, and do my current employers need to submit my application or can I do it independently? Thanks

Hi .
    I have applied for a 457 sponsor visa on the 16th march . The nomination was approved, medicals were done and submitted on the 7th of april . And so far on the system its says that application in further progress. The medicals showed finalised on the immi system. Does anyone have an idea how long before we get an answer?
    It will probably be very soon
    punk_one82 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm currently in the process of being sponsored for a 457 visa from my employer.
    Is it 2 years I need to wait before I can apply for PR?
    Once I get PR is it true that I can leave my current employer and work elsewhere?
    Which PR visa is it I'd need,
    and do my current employers need to submit my application or can I do it independently? Thanks
    [/LIST]
    You don't need to wait 2 years for apply for PR. You can apply for independent or sponsored PR at anytime, with or without being on a 457. 2 years on a 457 just means you can go via the transition stream for a employer sponsored PR. Which basically means bypassing the skills assessment.

If you go down the sponsored PR route, then you'll need the employer to offer a position of at least two years (or permanent). Once granted, you are not obliged to stay with them for two years, you can leave (or be let go) as per your contract. Your visa isn't linked to that job like a 457 is.

This is only applicable for the 186 visa (and the regional counterpart 187).

This is an employer sponsored PR visa, so they have to agree to it and nominate. If you want to submit independently, you can go for a 189 visa, but two years on a 457 means nothing here. You could be just as qualified to apply now.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

Just an update for any accountants looking to get a 189 this year, the occupation ceiling has now been reached so no more invitations to apply until July (provding it stays on the SOL!!)

Missed out on applying by a few days myself waiting for skills assessment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37 whatif...

Can you insert a link Legend for the best page to see the occupation ceilings? Thanks

whatif... wrote: »
    Can you insert a link Legend for the best page to see the occupation ceilings? Thanks

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/SkillSelect/SkillSelect.aspx#tab-content-3

• Registered Users Posts: 37 whatif...

Great thanks - it's not easy to surf on the phone.
    So there'll be new openings in July for accountants?
    I hope so... I've just done my IELTS test for skilled 189, trying to get everything together for the skills assessment & then EOI, hoping to be over before the end of this year

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

Hey folks,

Moving to Oz with my Australian gf in September from Ireland. I know she will be eligible for Unemployment benefits, but wondering If I would be entitled to anything since I will be living with her?

She was entitled to benefits in Ireland when we first arrived, as she was living with me and considered my dependent

Cheers

flushje wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Moving to Oz with my Australian gf in September from Ireland. I know she will be eligible for Unemployment benefits, but wondering If I would be entitled to anything since I will be living with her?

She was entitled to benefits in Ireland when we first arrived, as she was living with me and considered my dependent

Cheers

To start off, what visa will you be moving here on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

flushje wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Cheers

If you are going for this visa, probably not. She must support you (accommodation and financial support) for the first two years (temporary stage) of this visa process. One you is going to have to work, especially considering the cost of living here. After 2 years, when you move onto the PR stage of the visa, you'll be eligible for centrelink benefits and medicare etc.
    They are pretty thorough in their vetting for the 820/801 visa too, there is no interview, but you have to provide a lot of evidence, so I'd be checking through those requirements and making sure you can satisfy them.
    You are also applying offshore ?
    Again, you are bound by the conditions of your current visa during the applciation processing period (I was waiting 8 months on a bridging visa after a WHV) so I was limited to WHV conditions until they processed it and approved the temporary stage.

I'd really think twice about positioning yourself to rely on SW in Aus though, ore and coal prices are down, there is a property bubble of Supernova proportions, rents are high, food and beer are expensive and petrol/diesel are on a trajectory again. It's a matter of time before the property market pigeons come home and sh1t all over everyone You could be in a very delicate situation 2 years down the track if you are still in a position of needing welfare.

On the other hand access to TAFE and HECS/HELP will kick in for you, so at least you'll be able to make yourself more employable, but thats a very long term plan, and an even longer term debt to repay.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/pages/801-820.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Hi, I am currently living in New Zealand but we have been thinking about making a move to Perth. I am a type 2 diabetic and my 14 year old son was diagnosed with it two years ago. Would this affect our chances of getting a visa? It dident stop us getting a NZ visa but not sure how the Australian system works.

Advertisement