Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help buying a Jack Russell

• 11-03-2012 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey,

I am looking to buy 2 Jack Russell pups for pets and I am looking for a little advice please. I am very cautious about buying them from a puppy farm as i think they are horrific places and I really would not like to support them in any way so I am wondering is there any tell tale signs in advertisements that i should look out for.

I know I should really be looking in the shelters however I have a toddler and I would be a little wary getting one without a history for obvious reasons also I have heard that the shelters will not accept you if there will not be someone with the dog for more then 4 hours a day which i could not guarantee.

Any help here would be hugely appreciated thanks in advance Peeps also I would like to point out I'm ust writing what I have been told here . If i'm wrong I'm sorry

Mick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Hiya,

I bought my miniature Jack Russell from Done Deal. She was 90 euro and worth every penny. The people we bought her from had two Jack Russells and the puppies weren't planned so it wasn't a puppy farm.
    Done Deal has a great selection of puppies, I think that's the best place to look.
    Also, puppies from puppy farms need good homes too so they can get out of there!

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    Hiya,

I bought my miniature Jack Russell from Done Deal. She was 90 euro and worth every penny. The people we bought her from had two Jack Russells and the puppies weren't planned so it wasn't a puppy farm.
    Done Deal has a great selection of puppies, I think that's the best place to look.
    Also, puppies from puppy farms need good homes too so they can get out of there!

Hope that helps!

Are you for real? You're promoting puppy farming under the guise that the puppies need homes. Are you seriously so naive that you believe that the puppies weren't planned. Do you think that puppy farmers tell potential customers the real conditions that their dogs are kept in.

Are you for real? You're promoting puppy farming under the guise that the puppies need homes. Are you seriously so naive that you believe that the puppies weren't planned. Do you think that puppy farmers tell potential customers the real conditions that their dogs are kept in.

I never said puppies from puppy farms aren't planned. I said where I bought my jack russell the pups weren't planned. They were just a family that ended up with 2 pups from there pet.
    And do you not think puppies from puppy farms need homes? Or should they be left there to suffer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Hi, like the poster above I bought my Jack russel from done deal nearly two years ago when she was a two month old baby & it was the best decision I ever made! she's beside me now rolled over on her back snoring :D The family we bought her from had the parents & older brother living with them.

You here alot of horror stories about done deal but I had a great experience. With the likes of those sites/newspapers you need to go and pick the puppies up yourself so you can see their living conditions & see the temperaments of the parents and older siblings if there are any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Here's a sticky thread on what to look out for when buying a pup
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056295154

In my experience it's not a good plan to get 2 pups at the same time. It can often be harder to train them as they bond with each other and aren't quite as interested in people. You will need to have the time to walk them seperately and train them seperately so they will fully relate to you and understand what you're asking of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mick990

Thank you for the replies but I have to be honest here the puppy farm here is a non starter . I feel strongly about this as they are left in horrific conditions which is a disgrace and I feel could have a very bad effect on the pups mental health .

Also a friend also made the point that there is (allegedly) a lot of in breeding at these places which means the dogs can have all sorts wrong with them . I obviously have no proof of this but I think the point makes sense

If anything there really should be legislation brought in against these places being allowed to operate

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

Hiya,

Hope that helps!

What is a miniature Jack Russell :confused: I bet u have papers for this "breed"! Sorry OP for going off topic

Mick990 wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies but I have to be honest here the puppy farm here is a non starter . I feel strongly about this as they are left in horrific conditions which is a disgrace and I feel could have a very bad effect on the pups mental health .

Also a friend also made the point that there is (allegedly) a lot of in breeding at these places which means the dogs can have all sorts wrong with them . I obviously have no proof of this but I think the point makes sense

If anything there really should be legislation brought in against these places being allowed to operate

That's understandable. There has been legisation brought in in the last few months in relation to puppy farms, but I wouldn't know too much about it.

I really think Done Deal is the best place to go. You might even be lucky and find a shelter posting on Done Deal that has puppies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Angry kitten is angry...

196069.jpg

Mick990 wrote: »
    Hey,

I am looking to buy 2 Jack Russell pups for pets and I am looking for a little advice please. I am very cautious about buying them from a puppy farm as i think they are horrific places and I really would not like to support them in any way so I am wondering is there any tell tale signs in advertisements that i should look out for.

I know I should really be looking in the shelters however I have a toddler and I would be a little wary getting one without a history for obvious reasons also I have heard that the shelters will not accept you if there will not be someone with the dog for more then 4 hours a day which i could not guarantee.

Any help here would be hugely appreciated thanks in advance Peeps also I would like to point out I'm ust writing what I have been told here . If i'm wrong I'm sorry

Mick

Would recommend done deal too Mick, worst case scenario is you go out to pick up the pup, if ya don't like the look of the place, your not committed to the sale. Best of luck.

What is a miniature Jack Russell :confused: I bet u have papers for this "breed"! Sorry OP for going off topic
    [COLOR=#000000 ! important][/COLOR]

Obviously its a smaller line of jack russels. as regards papers, yeah mine has them all :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mick990

Hey Toomanydogs thanks for that sticky its great info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Regardless of where you decide to buy your puppies OP, there are a few things that are imperative:
    Go to the breeder's home, ask to be shown EVERYTHING - mummy and daddy (close up, not "Oh there he is out yonder!"), where the litter is kept if that's not where you were taken, papers for mum and dad, a vaccination card, if you can even get a snoop at what dog food they have out for the adults, ask them what they're feeding the puppies, what age are they (should co-incide with papers), if they are ready to go (use knowledge that a 6 or 7 week old puppy isn't quite ready to go yet).

Alarm bells:
    1. They want to bring puppies to you.
    2. (Not always) They had 4 puppies in the ad but when you meet them they only have two left, knowing that's what you wanted.
    3. Mummy or daddy or both cannot be seen.
    4. There are no papers.
    5. Breeder tells you pups are ready to go at under 7 or 8 weeks.
    6. Breeder will not show you where puppies are kept normally.
    7. Information on mum and dad's papers don't match mum and dad.
    8. Pups have no vaccinations.
    9. Breeder tries to put a fancy name on the pups to disguise the fact that they're cross-breeds.
    10. Breeder doesn't ask you any questions.

If you get a handle on all of that, EVEN on DoneDeal, chances are you will be onto a winner. Although it is worth pointing out that if you were to go to a reputable rescue for a very young pup, they would likely not have any behavioural issues that an adult dog may have picked up, short of shyness (which even adored, home-bred puppies can have)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

Hi OP, I got my self the cutest little JR pup ever from a 'shelter' as u call them, the spca. Don't believe everything u hear about 'shelters' and the dogs from them. Don't knock them till you try them eh ;-)
    If dogs or pups from shelters are such bad news, why are there so many successful rehomings.
    JR pups are v common so Plse take a look at some shelters web sites, or ring and let them kno your looking for a JR pup.
    My little JR was handed in cause she'd scratched a child, but sure that's what puppies do ? They play about and may scratch an adult or a child.

Anyway my little rescue JR is the sweetest thing, you would wonder how anyone gave her away, and she only cost me a small donation to the charity.
    I also then decided to get her a little play mate, I rescued a little terrier, and believe u me he is the friendliness little pup ever...

Best of luck and let us know what you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Hiya,

Hope that helps!

Exactly the type of person that puppy farmers try to reach out to, if you hand over money to a puppy farmer to 'save' one puppy you've just given the person more money and incentive to breed another few litters off the female and inflict more suffering upon subsequent pups and of course the parents. If you want to 'save' puppy farm pups don't hand over any money and don't entertain the puppy farmers, no money= they go out of business. They're not dopes, they know there are good people out there like yourself that cannot walk away from a worm riddled puppy rolling around in it's own excrement and will therefore hand over the money to 'save' a pup.

Are jack russells a recognised breed now does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Are jack russells a recognised breed now does anyone know?

Nope just the Parsons Russel I believe. They, jack russels, are considered crossbreeds. Its a shame really they should be recognised as they have been around long enough. Although most have probably had so many other breeds mixed into their heritage it would be almost impossible to trace grand parents/great grand parents etc i'd imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

You can buy yourself the most expensive 'well bred' Jack Russell - it doesn't mean it's going to be good around your toddler. No puppy is safe around a toddler, they all nip and bite.
    Once you expect that there's no reason not to look for a puppy in a rescue. They often have taken in the pregnant mother, so you're not necessarily talking about pups that are 'damaged' in some way. Should be easy to find if you look...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Lots of puppies and dogs end up dumped off in the shelters because some people (not saying the OP is one) think it would be nice to get a few puppies for the kids etc., and then realise the total chaos all this brings about and the puppies end up with the red card. Subsequently these discarded dogs end up caged up in the pound - and this doesn't of course mean that the dogs in the shelter are beasts - just ill informed decision making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just to ask that this thread does not turn into a 'puppy farm' / 'Donedeal' debate please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

I never said puppies from puppy farms aren't planned. I said where I bought my jack russell the pups weren't planned. They were just a family that ended up with 2 pups from there pet.
    And do you not think puppies from puppy farms need homes? Or should they be left there to suffer?

What you said was that you bought a puppy from people that had 2 jack russells and that the puppies were unexpected. So therefore, these people bought a male and female dog, didn't neuter them and didn't notice she was on heat either. Do you seriously believe that they didn't notice the other dog constantly trying to mount her. It makes me wonder how many times they've told that story. They weren't giving the puppies out for free, 90 euro per pup is a nice little earner. I'm not criticising you for buying a puppy, I'm just amazed that people still believe these stories.

Jack russells are a very popular dog and I regularly see posters on notice boards in my town advertising the puppies at 100 euro each. I don't think that there is ever an argument to make for buying puppies from puppy farmers, anyone who suspects that they might be buying from a puppy farmer should contact their local dog warden to report it. Most dogs that end up in rescues are there because they've been dumped because they are no longer wanted by the owner, usually through no fault of the dogs.

Rescue's will do a thorough home check and meet all of the family who will be in contact with the dog to ensure that everyone is aware of the commitment involved and that the dog is suitable for the new environment. Rescues will also usually vaccinate and neuter the dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Mick

there is a Dog show on this weekend end ( Paddys Day ) in the National Show arena

Why not come along and ask advice from the People there

Here some info

ST PATRICK’S CELTIC WINNERS SHOW 17TH MARCH 2012.

The National Show Centre, Cloghran, Co Dublin.

Judging Commences at 8.30a.m with the Junior Handling Classes

Breed Judging commences at 9.00a.m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

Hi OP firstly great that your taking time out to research before getting your dogs,well done and Jacks are a lovely little breed(have two myself) funny out.
    I know what your saying about shelters but often they do get litters of puppies in so I wouldn't rule that out.
    I would advise you to read up about the breed and if/when you get your dogs train them from the get go! Especially if you have youg kids,they dont tollerate a lot of fussing from kids generally!

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Haven't read all the posts, but have you tried rescues lots of jack russels are in rescues of all ages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, try here:
    [FONT=times new roman,times,serif]Jack Russell Terrier Club of Ireland[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times,serif]Ms. A. Taylor[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times,serif]Appleton House, Grannagh, Ardrahan, Co. Galway.[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times,serif](086-3559173) Email: [/FONT][EMAIL="%20%3Cscript%20language=%27JavaScript%27%20type=%27text/javascript%27%3E%20%3C%21--%20var%20prefix%20=%20%27ma%27%20+%20%27il%27%20+%20%27to%27;%20var%20path%20=%20%27hr%27%20+%20%27ef%27%20+%20%27=%27;%20var%20addy10080%20=%20%27taylortay2%27%20+%20%27@%27;%20addy10080%20=%20addy10080%20+%20%27gmail%27%20+%20%27.%27%20+%20%27com%27;%20document.write%28%20%27%3Ca%20%27%20+%20path%20+%20%27%5C%27%27%20+%20prefix%20+%20%27:%27%20+%20addy10080%20+%20%27%5C%27%3E%27%20%29;%20document.write%28%20addy10080%20%29;%20document.write%28%20%27%3C%5C/a%3E%27%20%29;%20//--%3E%5Cn%20%3C/script%3E%3Cscript%20language=%27JavaScript%27%20type=%27text/javascript%27%3E%20%3C%21--%20document.write%28%20%27%3Cspan%20style=%5C%27display:%20none;%5C%27%3E%27%20%29;%20//--%3E%20%3C/script%3EThis%20e-mail%20address%20is%20being%20protected%20from%20spam%20bots,%20you%20need%20JavaScript%20enabled%20to%20view%20it%20%3Cscript%20language=%27JavaScript%27%20type=%27text/javascript%27%3E%20%3C%21--%20document.write%28%20%27%3C/%27%20%29;%20document.write%28%20%27span%3E%27%20%29;%20//--%3E%20%3C/script%3E"][FONT=times new roman,times,serif] [/FONT][/EMAIL][FONT=times new roman,times,serif]taylortay2@gmail.com[/FONT]

http://ikc.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=17&Itemid=32

I would strongly advice against getting two terrier pups at once, I struggled with training one and it was a 24/7 job for a full year. They are not pets for kids either and you'd need to spend a lot of time monitoring how they (kids & pup) interact with each other and their time together needs to be very limited, especially at first. If you have your heart set on it get one first and think about getting the second when the first is completely house-trained and well out of the adolescent phase. Only get you pup from somewhere that it has been raised around kids the same age as yours, most terriers are not fans of toddlers.

They are not pets for kids either and you'd need to spend a lot of time monitoring how they (kids & pup) interact with each other and their time together needs to be very limited, especially at first.
    [/B]

Have to disagree with "their not for kids part", I've had jack russels my entire life and have never been bitten by one. The only dog I was ever bitten by was a border collie cross german shepherd. The jack russels I had back then even followed us to school and played with all the kids. The Jack russel I have now wouldn't be around children that much but when she is she's fantastic with them. I agree with monitoring the kids and puppy/puppies because being little toddlers i'm sure they won't know how to interact with the puppies without being properly shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Just to clarify, Jack Russells are a recognised breed by the IKC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Have to say my experience with JRTs would mean I wouldn't suggest them for small children either. I've found they don't have a lot of patience with small children poking and pulling, and of course every child and dog need to be supervised permenantly but I've a mix of breeds here and the other breeds are far far more tolerant of my toddler than either of my 2 JRTs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

SingItOut wrote: »
    Have to disagree with "their not for kids part", I've had jack russels my entire life and have never been bitten by one. The only dog I was ever bitten by was a border collie cross german shepherd. The jack russels I had back then even followed us to school and played with all the kids. The Jack russel I have now wouldn't be around children that much but when she is she's fantastic with them. I agree with monitoring the kids and puppy/puppies because being little toddlers i'm sure they won't know how to interact with the puppies without being properly shown.

I meant if they are getting dogs for the child there are much better suited breeds that will quite happily have kids hanging off them, terriers won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Man walking down the road with two dogs under his arms.

Woman asks - are they jack Russell's ?

Man says - no they are mine!

• Advertisement

I meant if they are getting dogs for the child there are much better suited breeds that will quite happily have kids hanging off them, terriers won't be.
    and just saying with all the ones i've had they've been fine with kids, happy to be played with and never aggressive. I'm sure OP will teach their kids not to treat their dogs like rag dolls. And i did understand your post ;)

Advertisement