Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I found Money

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

So you just started a thread here looking for attention. Nobody cares op. People are just replying because they're bored at work. Now feck off, go live your sad life and spend your stolen money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

So you just started a thread here looking for attention. Nobody cares op. People are just repling because they're bored at work. Now feck and and go live your sad life and spend the money you just stole.

Haha I am bored in work! How did you know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

My dad once years ago lost a serious amount of wages that was in his back pocket.
    It was his own fault for losing it and he knew it. Times was hard at the time and all I remember even now is that life in the home was pure hell for weeks afterwards as my ma struggled to try and find replacement money to get food and see us ok for school. My dad felt terrible for months afterwards.
    I honestly would not wish a similar situation on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

To add to this debate of decency/etc, 2 little stories:

1: I was at cinema a while back with the GF. I thought she had paid, she thought I had paid, and the dude gave us change as if we had paid with a €20 (it was manic busy at the time). We both went back to tell the dude and pay, we both would not have been able to enjoy it.

2: I was in IKEA on Saturday, shopping for my sister. Was buying a bunch of things, the guy scanned the same box twice, thinking the one below it was the same price. There was actually a substantial price difference between the 2 (about €50), so I pointed it out straight away. When I told my sister (single mother, 2 kids) she was happy - right thing to do and all that.

I don't think I'm anything special, I just think that most people in same situations as above would have done the same thing... Just saying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

300 in a white envelope suggests to me that the victim had just withdrawn the money from an acc and not a cashsave and on a Monday so it was needed urgently for something.

But then again who knows. It could be drug money, but if it was they would never reclaim it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Hand it in to a Garda station near where you found it. It's not yours, you are dishonest if you keep it, whatever your excuse.

Ask the Garda you give it to for a receipt for it, and ask them how long they will wait for it to be claimed. Check back with them when the time expires. I think you will probably get it back if no one claims it (maybe after a year or something).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I'd hand it in. I've been at the receiving end of decency like when I lost something valuable and the finder went to a good deal of trouble to track me down that so it's my duty to pay it on so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

As an aside, look what this recession has done to us. Discussing €300. Remember when we were all loaded? You would have seen a thread like this back then.....ahh I miss those days. Feckin politicians ruined it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Keep it if you have to OP but don't go saying "Sure the Gardai would just steal it anyway".
    You don't know that and you just use as some made up excuse to hold on to the money.
    Don't assume everyone is like you and just keep what they find, plenty of honest citizens and garda for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

For all those saying someone somewhere has lost this and needs it to pay bills, what if it the envelope was Sean Fitzpatrick's envelope? or in deed Berties? or heaven forbid, a builder!!! maybe they'd just been to the bank and were heading out to buy a bottle of champers for lunch (or something extravagant like that). What if it was their envelope?
    Granted chances are slim, but my point is, it may not be someone who's on the bread line that lost this money.

For what its worth, a couple of shop window notice's wouldn't go a stray. Give it 6-8 weeks, then claim finders-keepers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

biko wrote: »
    Keep it if you have to OP but don't go saying "Sure the Gardai would just steal it anyway".
    You don't know that and you just use as some made up excuse to hold on to the money. Don't assume everyone is like you and just keep what they find, plenty of honest citizens and garda for that matter.

+1, the general protocol anyway is if you hand in lost property you can leave your name and contact details. If the gardaí can't track down the rightful owner the OP may get his cash in the end guilt-free knowing they tried. If you don't claim it again it goes to charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Fran1985 wrote: »
    For all those saying someone somewhere has lost this and needs it to pay bills, what if it the envelope was Sean Fitzpatrick's envelope? or in deed Berties? or heaven forbid, a builder!!! maybe they'd just been to the bank and were heading out to buy a bottle of champers for lunch (or something extravagant like that). What if it was their envelope?
    Granted chances are slim, but my point is, it may not be someone who's on the bread line that lost this money.

For what its worth, a couple of shop window notice's wouldn't go a stray. Give it 6-8 weeks, then claim finders-keepers
    It shouldn't matter who owns the money, the OP doesn't and should try and find the owner, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Karma schmarma - keep the money, buy yourself an extravagant duffle jacket - you know you deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bigtalker

I found 300 on Grafton Street when I was 18 (10 years ago) and thought that it was probably some one's last bit of money in the world and walked around to Pearse Street Garda station and handed it in. They told me if I came back in a year and a day and no one had claimed it I could keep it. Being a poor 19 year old I did exactly that. I went to the station and the Garda on duty looked up the book to find on that date no sum of money had been recorded as found and they couldnt help me!

If I found money again I would probably give it to a charity

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...Then IF that situation was the case and all those conditions applied, they could afford to lose it and the finder gets to keep it eventually as its handed back to them after a legal period of time by the Gardi.
    Having got a receipt by the way.

It shouldn't matter who owns the money, the OP doesn't and should try and find the owner, no?

you'll see just under the line you highlighted in my post, that's what i said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I found found ~€35 worth of Golden discs vouchers a few years ago and I couldn't spend it because I kept imagining some poor old lady buying them for her disabled grandson or some other horrible guilt inducing image.

So I put an advert in the Evening Echo saying 'Golden discs vouchers found near Wilton S.C. on xx/xx/xx.'

Got a couple of calls from chancers who got the amount wrong. Then one day just as I was about to give up I got a call and it was....

I'm never telling the incredible ending to this story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

token101 wrote: »
    The Gardaí? F*** that! That'll never see the owner again, but you'll be told it will. I'd sooner give it to SVP or the likes if you feel a bit guilty. Be better than some cop to spend on doughnuts and coffee.

Bollox its all very professional and signed for, there is no-way they could pilfer it.

I know a taximan who was driving behind a truck when 2 bags fell off. It was moss peat and him been a Gardiner went to help himself, then the Blue lights flashed behind him.

So he said "I was just putting them in my boot to bring to the gardai station", which he did, then a year and a day he got a letter to pick them up.

He said the place was a real alladins cave full of everything you could imagine and all recovered but unclaimed stolen goods, which eventually get auctioned.

you'll see just under the line you highlighted in my post, that's what i said
    Are you not insinuating that if Bertie, Sean Fitzpatrick or a builder owned the money, the OP should keep it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Someone probably just got a loan from the Credit Union as they are struggling to pay bills.

Karma will catch up with you anyway OP. Maybe in the form of a bus! :rolleyes:

Karma me bollix,don't beleive in that ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭token56

I'd hand it in. I remember I once found 50 euro on the platform after getting off a train at Connolly station. It was commuter hour in the morning and it probably fell out of someone's pocket/wallet when getting out their ticket. Now its not a huge amount of money and I had zero chance of identifying who had dropped it as everybody around was getting on with exiting the station so nobody saw me pick it up. I could easily have kept it but I found a member of staff and handed it in. I would be pretty sure the person who dropped it never got it back and the member of staff I gave it to could easily just have it kept for themselves and told nobody. I knew this handing it over but I gave it in anyway just in case that person did come back looking for it, and needed it for something important. With 300 euro I would certainly make some sort of effort to find the rightful owner.

If it was something smaller like 5 or 10 I probably would have put it in some charity box. My attitude is its not mine to keep and I'm no worse off than I was before I found it by not keeping it.

Are you not insinuating that if Bertie, Sean Fitzpatrick or a builder owned the money, the OP should keep it :confused:

no my point was that everyone's arguement so far has been that someone is at home crying and starving, and sitting in the dark with no electricity, possibly going to be evicted...etc cos the OP was keeping the money.
    No-one here knows who owns the money and for all we know, it could be any of the above. Just wanted to know if people would feel the same about the OP keeping it, if it was seanie, bertie or a builder. Thats all. But as i said, OP wont know until he goes looking to see who owns it, with a few shop notices.

no my point was that everyone's arguement so far has been that someone is at home crying and starving, and sitting in the dark with no electricity, possibly going to be evicted...etc cos the OP was keeping the money.
    No-one here knows who owns the money and for all we know, it could be any of the above. Just wanted to know if people would feel the same about the OP keeping it, if it was seanie, bertie or a builder. Thats all. But as i said, OP wont know until he goes looking to see who owns it, with a few shop notices.
    Apologies :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Fcuking RACIST!:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

So OP, what are you going to do with it?

Piss it?
    Snort it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

heavyballs wrote: »
    Karma me bollix,don't beleive in that ****e

Maybe you should, what with those irregular balls you possess:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

four18 wrote: »
    I am keeping it, What would you suggest ? Garda station ? Not paying for a garda to go to coppers tonight. Would any of you pocket it ? be honest !

I'd go to the gardai, tell them I found the money (how much, what type of envelope, whereabouts I found it), and if anyone came looking for it, give them my phone number and I'd give it to them. That way, I can be sure that the person who rings me genuinely lost their money, and I can be as sure as possible that the money was returned to them. Did the same thing twice before, once with a wallet and once with car keys (beside the car they belonged to)

€300 is a lot. Keeping €40-€50, maybe. But €300 is quite a bit to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

The strangest thing about any of this is the weird chip the OP has on his shoulder over people living at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

alphabeat wrote: »
    i found money like this once , and put up notices in shops near where it was found .
    not saying how much was in it

3 weeks later a young woman called , and knew exaclty how much was in it to the penny. it was her wages from shop she worked in .

i was smashed and really needed the money badly .

but she got it back , and i felt good .

if you keep it without tryin - karma will get ya , 100% certain.

Something similiar happened to me, I was absolitley skint and got on a bus & found a wallet with between 40-70 quid on the floor (can't exactly remember how much ) so I checked with people on the bus to see if it was theirs & then handed it in to the bus driver.

The next week sat nearly in the same spot and found another wallet with 40 quid. I was thinking wtf someone is taking the p**s I gave that in to the bus driver even though I really could have done with that money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

I found 300 on the aerdart once as it was leaving the airport.

Nothing else in the purse someone had a crappy holiday.

I left my number with the driver after didnt hear anything after a couple of weeks so it was spent on bills.

Advertisement