Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Bourne Legacy (Bourne 4)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭homingbird

The end was leaving it open for more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

homingbird wrote: »
    The end was leaving it open for more to come.

And more shell come.

Till they drive that franchise into the ground. Then they'll "reboot" it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,834 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ah Christ I wanted this to be good considering I'm a huge fan of the Bourne franchise as well as Renner and Weisz and Norton.

Me also but was disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

As said treat it as a action movie by itself its pretty solid , The old Bourne left a lot to live up too. Still found it a decent watch and not the best end , needed a "boss fight" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I really cant understand peoples reaction to this movie.
    Its an entertaining action movie. I though it was good. I have seen worse movies this year, and I will see worse before the year is out.

This current trend of ripping apart every big movie that comes out is beyond me. Its like a race to see who can find the biggest "plot hole". We have now seen it with batman, spiderman, avengers and Bourne. Will these people only be happy when blockbusters are no longer made???

3/5 for me. Renner and Weisz were very good together I thought. Norton was under used. The film was a little sloppy in places but overall I quite enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Pretty disappointed if Im Honest.... even Jeremy Renner shirtless didnt make the film interesting.

My bf fell asleep through it n all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,547 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I really cant understand peoples reaction to this movie.
    Its an entertaining action movie. I though it was good. I have seen worse movies this year, and I will see worse before the year is out.

This current trend of ripping apart every big movie that comes out is beyond me. Its like a race to see who can find the biggest "plot hole". We have now seen it with batman, spiderman, avengers and Bourne. Will these people only be happy when blockbusters are no longer made???

3/5 for me. Renner and Weisz were very good together I thought. Norton was under used. The film was a little sloppy in places but overall I quite enjoyed it.
    christ even in defense of it you give it a 3/5

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Have to agree with you guys,it was truly dismal,so slow to get going.Matt Damon was sorely missed.Rachel Weisz role as the disappointing Renner's love interest/biochemical saviour was underwhelming.The whole plot re the wiping out the various program operatives was weak.I found the whole red and green tablets concept ridiculous,superior physical attributes via increased mitochondrial efficiency preposterous,greater intellectual function,lol!All the copycat action sequences from Ultimatum,roof top chase,motor cycle chase were far inferior.The untested asset from Thailand had none of the threat of previous assassins.Terribly underwhelmed by Ed Norton,really missed the masterful characters Noah Vosen,Pamela Landy and Ezra Kramer.It appears Dr. Albert Hirsch has passed away???Has Noah and Treadstone got off the hook,poor Pam facing indictment?Quite liked the drone sequence,found the effort Renner made to make the wolf ingest the sensor crazy,pointless.A final nail in the coffin was the absence of John Powell composing the music.So bring back Matt,Paul Greengrass asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Solid action flick. Not as good as previous Bourne movies. I appreciate that it's a subjective matter but some of the OTT negative opinions are bordering on stupidity.

3/5

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Possibly one of the most painfully boring films I've ever watched. No tension because the director and writer did not build the relationship with the characters like Greengrass had successfully done with the previous films

Half the movie didn't make sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Overheal wrote: »
    christ even in defense of it you give it a 3/5

Have you a point in there? I think its a 3/5 film.
    People are going on like its Medillion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Pretty bad for a 'Bourne' movie tbh. The entire section leading up to and including the motorbike chase was way too drawn out and a snoozefest tbh. I kept thinking "Ok, this is probably the major action scene of this movie but WTF are they at?!?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

pretty bad movie, imo. Very boring even for a random action movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Weakest ending ever.

Poor Pam got the noose. I preferred Pam and Noah Vosen to the crowd in this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Wow, tough crowd. I saw Expendables 2 a few days ago and this tonight, and enjoyed this quite a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Terrible,he talked to much !! Was very upset and left half Way thru as it seemed to be going no where

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Saw this today and really enjoyed it. Acting, pacing, action, plot, look and feel, it all worked very well for me. The only slight downside was that for one or two scenes Rachel Weisz's acting went a little off the rails and took me right out of the movie. Other than that I will be getting it on blu-ray when it comes out & will certainly watch it again at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I saw this lastnight, and having read some of the recent comments on here before hand, I wasn't too hopeful... but overall, it was better than I expected. I am a huge fan of the original trilogy though so it was never going to be as good as those for me without Damon and this was compounded by them
    shafting poor Pam!

I was also disappointed with the soundtrack, nowhere near as brooding as the original trilogy but it was nice to hear
    Moby's Extreme Ways at the end even if they did mess around with it.
    The Wolf scene was pretty entertaining but I couldn't understand why he did that! It was crazy! Why not try catching a squirrel or something and stick the transponder into that instead? Or why not just bury it in the snow? Lunacy! The tablets thing was completely daft, but I'll let that go, as was a lot of the dialog... he's gonna run outta brain!
    I would agree that the "bad guys" in this really lacked the presence of the Brian Cox character in Supremacy and Noah Vosen in Ultimatum.

I didn't think the ending was as bad as others here said it was?
    OK, the Thai "asset" dies very easily, that was a total cop out... and they copied all the major set pieces from Ultimatum - the roof running, the bike chase... only it wasn't as good.
    but the sailing off into the sunset thing, I thought that was a bit reminiscent of the Bourne Identity ending..

Actually, now that I read back on my own post, I realise it wasn't so good at all! But it still kept me mildly entertained for 2 hours.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Saw it tonight. It was grand. I thought it started off very well but there was a big lull in the middle. It kept me entertained for two hours but I wouldn't watch it again.

The main problem was they didn't really do a very good job of making us care about the two characters. They were just running with seemingly nowhere to go, we also don't learn nearly enough about them. Renner's (who did well with what he was given in fairness) agent obviously had moral issues with his work but it's never delved into enough for us to get a proper hold on who he is and what's driving him. Remember the scene in Supremacy where Bourne goes to the girls flat to apologise for killing her parents years before, it was a completely unecessary scene in terms of plot but massive in terms of character. Between things like that and the bad guys killing his girl there was always a certain amount of depth to Bourne that we never really got here. They hinted at some stuff but we needed more.

Anyway, on its own terms it was a decent action film but it doesn't hold up to the trilogy. it's essentially just a remake of the first film without the memory loss angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

I hated it too.

Always loved the other films as it really showed Bourne using his head and training to outsmart everybody, like recon and gathering intelligence. This new fella wouldn't know his arsehole from his elbow!

I loved the European angle with the other films, really gave them a gritty feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Found this one very slow in parts and quite dull. Also,
    that motor bike chase went on way too long and then they took out that Asian super baddie with a little kick before he could do anything particularly good... then the film is just over.
    Major disappointment.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There was one super cool bit of badassery though:
    at her house when he free runs up the outside, in the window and BOOM headshot.
    All in one continuous shot too. Shame there wasn't more of that flair in the rest of the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,547 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I liked it, and I'm quite glad I knew people hated it too, so I knew to expect something - different.

Let's address a couple plot points in this thread up to the last page or so:
    The pills were all about 2 things: controlling their assets in the field (and as we saw, the ability to quickly and efficiently burn assets) and the ability to push updates into the drugs they are given. They don't do a great job of explaining it in this film but if you're into sci fi (or biology I suppose), viruses tweaking your chromosomes/DNA in minute ways is an interesting way of saying oh look, we made super-agents. Treadstone being program 1 might have used those enhancements (and probably did) but they didn't develop the mechanic at that point.

He couldn't use a squirrel or bury the tracker in the snow: they knew he was out there by that point and he needed something with a big enough thermal signature for them to confirm as a kill. This was shown. Instead ask yourself why the tracker wasn't in his back, if anything. Seemed like a stupid move. I thought as much when I watched it. Plot hole even. But I was willing to let it slide, they wanted to use some artistic license to skip what probably would have been some lame excuse to find someone else to remove it for him, which would have totally been plausible deep in Alaskan wilderness.

Hidden car door panel was a nice touch.

Jason Bourne did more investigating etc. because well, that was his aim: find out his identity, find out what he did, and then finally go after the people who made him. This was Act One. Cross is on the run. The whole arc of the movie was about escaping the program, which he successfully did, he "viraled out" of the reliance mechanic they had built into their 'chems. Presumably now, as they talked about in the car, their goal will shift to making sure the programs like Outcome and the Betas are shut down. The ending is just the setup for the next film, which now that they've filled out a lot of the background and talky bits, should be far faster paced.

And presumably, there is a very high probability that they will link up with Jason Bourne when they do so. I expect they might cross paths if the program tries to endanger Pam Landy. I bet anything Bourne hasn't gone completely vanished. He is still in DC, keeping a close eye. These events on the timeline only stretch less than a week after the events of Ultimatum. I suppose I could also read the books and be sure of that.

I agree it was kinda cheesy how they ended the chase scene and the guy died but eh, he caught her off guard. More artistic license. It seems that in production there might be a disconnect between whoever is directing/producing/choreographic the action and the writers, but it's a minor point against the film. I did like the Drone situation.

Movie is a 3.5/5 for me. Pacing was a bit off, but the story was good and the setup is primed for the next movie. Renner is a good actor but I feel like the only time he ever showed off enough of Cross' character was in flashbacks and when he is trying to deceive someone. That's probably the point of the character, but it's just a little unpalatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

Dragging this thread up! Just saw this and I quite enjoyed it.

I like the way the story telescoped into the timeline of the previous film. It was a nice way of doing a sequel and expanding the world of the franchise. I think it was a good move to give it to Tony Gilroy, he knows the world and definitely seemed to have fun playing with it. Stuff like starting it off on the same image that the last one finished with- that was nice.

There were lots of fun moments. I really liked the sequence with Renner and the other agent in the house where they were weighing each other up. Nice, paranoid, who can you trust stuff- I love it! And the drone bit. And that Rachel Weisz interrogation. And that walking out of the factory part.

I also thought it was good that Renner actually enjoyed his superpowers, it made a nice change from the typical angsty hero and it differentiated him from Bourne.

It kind of spun out of control at the end though. That Manila motorbike chase went on for way too long and I really think that random superspy guy they brought in at the end was unnecessary. He felt very out-of-nowhere. Wouldn't it have been enough of a challenge for Renner to have to battle the entire Manila police force, insane traffic, and the superflu all with a ladyfriend in tow without adding this guy? It was amusing though that this terminator-esque guy is immune to bullets but a kick from Rachel Weisz can finish him off.

So, imperfect but fun would be my verdict. I think it was a step up from the last Bourne film but not as good as the first two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Just watched this, I'm guessing you had to of watched the other films to get this right???

Well I did watch the others and I still don't get what the hell was going on :confused:

Someone please enlighten me :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Im downloading it now. Ive had a quick look at the comments and Im hoping it doesnt spoil the franchise for me. The first three made one of the best trilogy's for me, maybe just behind The Lord Of The Rings.

Sons Of Anarchy and The Bourne Legacy, looks like I might be starting work a little bit later tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 VKenneally

just watched Bourne last nite, real let down compared to Damons version but as a stand alone movie it is a very watchable film..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yes, as it's own film this movie can stand on it's own two feet but as a part of the Bourne story it's just weak and derivative.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Finally got around to watching it last night. Im so glad I read a few comments on here, because I was mentally prepared for it being pretty rubbish.

It actually tied in a lot more of the Bourne side than I thought. It was also a lot better than I expected and I would watch it again at some point. Its not anywhere near as good as the first three though, and Ive watched them all loads of times and loved them every time.

The motorbike chase scene was silly though, actually stupid to the point of being annoying and distracting and I suddenly felt transported from the realism of the Bourne trilogy closer to James Bond. What is it with directors who constantly feel the need to wow is with over the top and fake chase scenes? Realism is the way to go. There is a reason why Ronans chase scenes are lauded the world over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I saw it last night and I wasnt impressed. The scene that Mickeroo mentioned earlier was the best scene in the entire film for me.

Between all the scenes they took from previous films and then carbon copying alot of scenes for Renner there wasnt much to actually make a film about. I felt they took a **** on the Greengrass trilogy with Noah Vosen getting away with it and Pamela Lundy taking the fall.

It would be a good film to have a drinking game to though, take a shot everytime they mention Bourne and a double when they mention "chems" and you'll have an early night in the A&E! :pac:

Advertisement