Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Week 4 day 6

4 mile approx in 30 min

Still unsure whether i being called up for the steeple on top of the hurdles tomorrow so nothing to hectic today just got out to get the legs moving come monday back to normal training

Week 4 day 7

Took a break from my usual running as i became the John O Shea of running to help out my club in National leagues.
    When i arrived i was told are normal hurdler had an accident last night so i was to fill in for the 110h. Having no practice for this i knew it was going to be fun. These hurdles are 3"6 and i only 5"7 so you can imagine. Managed to finish after a fall on the third hurdle so picked up few points for 6th.
    Was then told we had no one for high jump so had to recall my HJ days as a juvenile and pick something up. 1.45 was happy enough with no practice managed to pick up a few points and didnt get last.
    Then rolled on the last event for me one i knew that i woud be running and had a little experience so went for it. 400h i ran 67:59. Anything under 68 was my goal and was delighted though still a lack of fitness was apparent but it all in the nature of the national leagues and their fun to contribute to our solid team total of 90 points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Fitzington

Well done man. Did we make it to the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

ecoli wrote: »
    . 400h

You finally came of age and became a man.

You may find in the morning that you have more hair on your chest or that your manhood has increased in size.

Well done, anything else will be easy after that;)

PS: Are you not worried that your guys are putting you in events that require some vertical component, are they trying to give you a message?

Tingle wrote: »
    You finally came of age and became a man.

You may find in the morning that you have more hair on your chest or that your manhood has increased in size.

Well done, anything else will be easy after that;)

PS: Are you not worried that your guys are putting you in events that require some vertical component, are they trying to give you a message?

haha well despite being a long distance runner for some reason the 400h is an annual thing for me in the national leagues. I think of it as my service to the club haha.
    they prob are giving me a message but ill just play ignorant i suppose haha:D

• Advertisement

Week 5 Day 1

12 miles in 81 (6.45 mile pace)

My body was as stiff as a board today after yesterdays escapades but i knew i would loosen up on my run. had planned to only do seventy but well went with one of the guys from the club and talking and the buzz from realising we made the final in the national leagues i lost track of time and pace and ended up going quicker and longer than i thought. Happy with how it went after not feelng great last week only doing recovery stuff

Week 5 day 2

9miles in 61 (6.50 mile pace)

Knee/ top of my shin felt sore today but not unbearable. First thing ran through my mind was: Oh No shin Splints again but i reckon it was just due to the fall at the weekend so i hoping that the bruising and that will be the cause rather than more permanent damage still happy with the run kept trekking along and really feeling good despit being tired. Big contrast to last week when i was running less and feeling worse maybe the recovery week really didn do the job though. Session hopefully tommorow depending on how the knee is

Week 5 day 3

AM: 4 mile recovery in 30 min (7.30 mile pace)

knee still bit sore but i think that jus has to heal naturally dont think it anythin too major other than the fall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

110h
    400h
    HJ

Are you sure you not training for the decathlon? :)

ike wrote: »
    110h
    400h
    HJ

Are you sure you not training for the decathlon? :)

haha no i do steeple and as such i usually asked to do the 400h every year with the club. However night before second round the 110h/HJ guy dropped a keg on his foot this coupled with few last min drop outs meant everyone was asked to help out to cover the events.
    tried multi eventing as a kid but lack of sprint speed would kill me in it haha

• Advertisement

Week 5 day 3

PM: 1 1/2 mile warm up 2x(5x800m) in 4 min cycles: 2.40 rep , 1.20 recovery
    5 min rest in between sets 1/2 mile cool down

SET 1 SET 2
    2.41 2.40
    2.40 2.40
    2.40 2.41
    2.41 2.00*

* 600m

Legs were still sore from the weekend so coming the last few legs were swimming in lactate decided to just do 600 on the 9th and leave the 10th. Still happy with the session my strength is coming along nicely but will be happier once i clear this niggle in my leg

session mileage : 6 1/2 mile

Week 5 Day 4, 5 & 6

REST

With the leg feeling slightly dodgy since last week i decided to listen to my body and give it a few days rest so i have just been stretching and restng and have seen major improvement in the leg. Still have a bad feeling it could be shin splints once again but i cant see how it could be still we see how it is tomorrow

Week 5 day 7

15 miles in 2.04.23 (8.14 mile pace)

Decided enough was enough waiting around for the last three days and decided to test the leg. Thankfully no real pain in it at all just hope it the same tomorrow. i have stretched it well after the run though so hopefully will be okay. Cheers to Woddle and Fig who ran with me was good to have the company for 13 miles. stepped it up the last 2 mile dropping pace to sub seven just to give me a confidence boost at the end of the run to be able to do it and keep little quicker stuff in the legs. A Good days work all in all now have the whole day to chill as a rare weekend day off work:D

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

stepped it up the last 2 mile dropping pace to sub seven just to give me a confidence boost at the end of the run to be able to do it and keep little quicker stuff in the legs.

Good going over the last 2 miles. You looked pretty comfortable througout. I'd never have been able to keep that pace, so glad I left it at 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

figs wrote: »
    , so glad I left it at 13.

I wish I had stayed in bed, I'm stiff all over :D

Week 6 Day 1

AM: 30 min core work

unsually my hips are kinda tender from the run yesterday but thankfully the knee is grand after the run so keeping up the good training hopefully

Week 6 day 1

PM: approx 8 miles in 55 (6.48 min mile pace)

felt grand just another routine run keeping pluggin away with the miles building the strength for the cross country season.All going according to plan so far

Week 6 day 2

7 miles in 51 min (7.20 min mile pace) + lots of stretching

took it easy tonight as i have decided to race the 3k tomorrow night in the gradeds just to gauge my fitness. Havent eased back in terms of training and i not expecting too much i just wanna see where i am.

Had the full day of work so kept myself preoccupied. Bit of computer with the lads a walk etc. Altogether i felt good and ready to go for the race.We decided to get out early to video some of the early races and then my mindset was completely turned off the race BANG!!!!! car crash with a fair bit of damage to my car so for the rest of the night i was fuming as you can imagine.
    tried to get my mind off it a bit watching some high class races (unfortunately no sub 4 in morton mile) then came the time for me to warm up felt okay was still kinda tight but i knew that would loosen up during the race so didnt worry.
    The race went off and i went out very easy. hit 200 in 38, perfect pace for what i had worked out. i hoped to then bring them back to 78s however went through 600 in 1.58 which meant i was back to my training pace of 80s. Wasnt too worried at this stage as i thought i would make up the seconds in the latter stages as i had factored in one or two 81,82s.
    As the race went on i tucked in behind stupid private in the hope to push me on but lap after lap were like a metronome 80,80,80,80 the second last lap whether tiredness or lapse of concentration i slipped of the back of stupid private and slowed significantly with 200 to go i got my split 9.41, how had i slowed that much without realising it i wasnt hurting really. Came home the last 200 in 40 for a time of 10.21. I was hoping to go 10 because i know i had atleast that strength but all things considered i thing i can allow for my mind being a bit astray.
    May tweak my trainng just slightly from here and bring it to the next stage for faster intervals as i think while they are building strength i will need i have to do a bit faster just to get my legs used to a change of pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Had the full day of work so kept myself preoccupied. Bit of computer with the lads a walk etc. Altogether i felt good and ready to go for the race.We decided to get out early to video some of the early races and then my mindset was completely turned off the race BANG!!!!! car crash with a fair bit of damage to my car so for the rest of the night i was fuming as you can imagine.
    tried to get my mind off it a bit watching some high class races (unfortunately no sub 4 in morton mile) then came the time for me to warm up felt okay was still kinda tight but i knew that would loosen up during the race so didnt worry.
    The race went off and i went out very easy. hit 200 in 38, perfect pace for what i had worked out. i hoped to then bring them back to 78s however went through 600 in 1.58 which meant i was back to my training pace of 80s. Wasnt too worried at this stage as i thought i would make up the seconds in the latter stages as i had factored in one or two 81,82s.
    As the race went on i tucked in behind stupid private in the hope to push me on but lap after lap were like a metronome 80,80,80,80 the second last lap whether tiredness or lapse of concentration i slipped of the back of stupid private and slowed significantly with 200 to go i got my split 9.41, how had i slowed that much without realising it i wasnt hurting really. Came home the last 200 in 40 for a time of 10.21. I was hoping to go 10 because i know i had atleast that strength but all things considered i thing i can allow for my mind being a bit astray.
    May tweak my trainng just slightly from here and bring it to the next stage for faster intervals as i think while they are building strength i will need i have to do a bit faster just to get my legs used to a change of pace
    Not bad there, hard to stay focused when stuff like that happens yo uwere prob a bit stressed. Whats your Pb for 3k?

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »
    Not bad there, hard to stay focused when stuff like that happens yo uwere prob a bit stressed. Whats your Pb for 3k?

9.47 but i know i can run quicker as i havent run on fit in a race season for few years like this is my first race of the year and my training has just been about getting strength after the injury that plagued me for the first half of the year

Okay the last two days have been a disaster with the car just completely messing my head up i have been AWOL no running but tonight i doining some core and over the weekend just do two runs
    Next week i start the next stage of my schedule which will incorporate some new aspects into my running so it should be interesting to see how it goes but so far things are pretty much on track and goin well i am quietly confident in my training

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭DJS

Good to hear your back running now. The 2days rest will do u and your mindset more good. Will you be joining us tomorow for a session(if we get on to the track)

DJS wrote: »
    Good to hear your back running now. The 2days rest will do u and your mindset more good. Will you be joining us tomorow for a session(if we get on to the track)

Working night shift tonight sorry

Week 6 Day 6

8.5 miles in 60 ( 7 min mile pace)

just a routine runthis week has been all over the place. Gluts a bit tight after core exercises last night proving i am starting to strengthen them with the exercises

Week 7 Day 1

8.5 miles approx ( 7.05 mile pace)

with 4 of us out on the run today the pace was very up and down though not necessarily a bad thing. now that i finished my conditioning stage time to move it too the next stage and it wll be interesting to see how the training comes along over the next couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭DJS

Week 7 Day 1

85 miles approx

Haha didnt realise we were going that fast lol

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭p3-fitz

85 miles bit long for one day man:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

felt grand just another routine run keeping pluggin away with the miles building the strength for the cross country season.All going according to plan so far
    took it easy tonight as i have decided to race the 3k tomorrow night in the gradeds just to gauge my fitness. Havent eased back in terms of training and i not expecting too much i just wanna see where i am.

Hey there,

Just looking through a few of your log entries and I was just wondering what your main goal is?

A few days ago you said you were building mileage to prepare for cross-country and then very soon after you said you needed to do fast intervals. I would have thought that you would only do long intervals (if any) during base building phase.

• Advertisement

cfitz wrote: »
    Hey there,

Just looking through a few of your log entries and I was just wondering what your main goal is?

A few days ago you said you were building mileage to prepare for cross-country and then very soon after you said you needed to do fast intervals. I would have thought that you would only do long intervals (if any) during base building phase.

I think i the post race one was more annoyance but when i calmed down realised it working so decided against it. However you can still do intervals to build strength even 400s depending on whether you put the emphasis on time or recovery (the latter was what i focused on in th few interval sessions i have done). I will not be doing these faster intervals as i had thought to do in previous posts and just have faith in my schedule.
    My main goal is hopefully top 10/15 finish in the Dublin Novices and few other good XC runs

Advertisement