Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Advice for the Clueless

• 25-03-2012 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I hope I could get some advice on buying a laptop please. I am very clueless when it comes to computer/technology. :confused:

Basically, I want a laptop for internet, emails, movies, and maybe playing sims style games. Multi-tasking is a must.

I used windows, although had an Apple many years ago.

Just wondering if anyone could suggest an laptop and also good shops (Cork)/online places to purchase.

Budget is €1,500 although could be stretched, although ideally I would like to go below.

Thanks,:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

For your needs, you'd only have to spend half of your budget. ;)

Any other preferences? Display size, mobility (weight, battery life), etc.

Here is a 15.6" ASUS Core i7 with a GT 540M for 749 incl. VAT and delivery.

With such a powerful processor and 8 GB RAM, you can multi-task until the cattle find their way home. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I am not overly concerned with screen size or mobility. A good battery life would be great as willl be using a fair bit in a place where there are limited power points.

Thanks for the help.:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'm not sure what you mean by mutlitasking being a must. Any modern operating system with the amounts of RAM you get nowadays can run several applications at once. Web browsing, email and video playback are not intensive and any el cheapo laptop you can get from around €500 would do just fine. Gaming is a different issue so you'll need to check the recommended specs of the games you want to play. This will give you an idea of what components your machine will need. I would imagine the Sims isn't too difficult to run.

If you want to go down the Apple route, the 13" MacBook Pro is an excellent choice but will cost you close to €1200. You can get a hefty discount if you're a student or educator tho...

5uspect wrote: »
    If you want to go down the Apple route, the 13" MacBook Pro is an excellent choice but will cost you close to €1200. You can get a hefty discount if you're a student or educator tho...

While you can run Windows on Macbook Pro (which will cost you extra for the license), the 13" model doesn't have discrete graphics, so The Sims is out of the question, it would have to be the 15 or 17 inch variant.

From what I see on a quick check, that ASUS at komplett.ie is a pretty good deal (and the stock counter is already going down), unless you want to do some shopping in the US, the Far East or Germany (QWERTZ keyboard!), I'd say it's hard to find a better offer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It will probably work just fine any new intel Mac since the requirements are so low.
    http://gb.thesims3.com/game/systemreq

Torqay wrote: »
    (and the stock counter is already going down)

Down to the last one now, was 3 earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

if u want to have long battery life i recommend to go for 15" screens although if u are working some video/audio projects its preferred to go for 17" screen but they drain battery faster...
    what u can do about that question is to look for some aftermarket battery that will hold longer than ordinary one...
    my 17" samsung drain battery in 2-2.5 hours with normal usage settings.

and for 1500 quid u can buy mac notebook...
    but do u really need it??

Down to the last one now, was 3 earlier on.

And the last one gone, that was quick. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

And the last one gone, that was quick. ;)
    They had a very bad range in January and Feb for some reason but savage deals on Asus at komplett again.

• Advertisement

They had a very bad range in January and Feb for some reason but savage deals on Asus at komplett again.

Yeah, and limited stock too. The other ASUS i7 with discrete graphics for 679 was gone in no time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Just wondering what people would thinks of this computer?

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/SONY-Vaio-VPCEJ2B1EBCEK-173andquot-Laptop-Black/308016/301#product-information

Would it play sims? Is it a bit overkill?
    Thanks for all the help.

Sorry should also ask if the following would work on it
    http://shop.three.ie/catalogue/products/view/huawei-e353s-black/50699/T010019

Thanks again

Miaireland wrote: »
    Just wondering what people would thinks of this computer?

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/SONY-Vaio-VPCEJ2B1EBCEK-173andquot-Laptop-Black/308016/301#product-information

Would it play sims? Is it a bit overkill?
    Thanks for all the help.
    It will play sims, overkill....meh, it's a nice machine, you could spend alot less if you wanted. There's a nice Samsung for exact same price on Komplett but site is down, spec was better but can't remember it exactly.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_G770_1189696.html for €600

Miaireland wrote: »
    Sorry should also ask if the following would work on it
    http://shop.three.ie/catalogue/products/view/huawei-e353s-black/50699/T010019

Thanks again
    It will work, you literally just plug them in and give it a min to install software BUT

3 National Broadband Scheme - how do I escalate a complaint?

Their's (no exaggeration) hundreds of these types of Threads. Get it out on a trial before you buy and make sure it works at all times of the day, especially from 6 in the evening onwards

Consider O2, unless 3 are offering a better allowance.

is it 17inch your're after?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

OP I have a package consisting of 3 in 1 printer (just think of being able to print, scan, and copy everything yourself without the hassle of asking others) laptop, bag and usb connected mouse for €799 with a company based in Cork. I won't mention who they are here in case I'm not supposed to. The laptop itself does everything you want it to with up to date windows 7 home premium. It's a fujitsu lifebook A series with 6gb of memory. Its screen is generous in size too.

There's a nice Samsung for exact same price on Komplett but site is down, spec was better but can't remember it exactly.

Here's that Samsung, WAYYYY BETTER SPEC, i7, 8GB RAM, Better GPU.

As i type, ONLY 3 LEFT IN STOCK.

PC World you su*k!!

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_IdeaPad_Z570_1147646.html

Advertisement