Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

6 years jail for garlic scam

• 09-03-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0309/begleyp.html

''The head of Ireland's largest fruit and vegetable producers has been jailed for six years for a €1.6m scam involving the importation of garlic.
    Paul Begley, 46, avoided paying customs duty on over 1,000 tonnes of garlic from China by having them labelled as apples.
    Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard the import duty on garlic is "inexplicably" high and can be up to 232%.
    In contrast, onions have an import duty of 9%.
    The maximum sentence for the offence is five years in prison or a fine of three times the value of the goods.
    Judge Martin Nolan imposed the maximum term on one count and one year on another count.''

Is this a bit excessive when you would get a lesser sentence for a serious assault ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It fucking stinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Import duty should be lower. Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Is he in Cloverhill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

It would take your breath away.... tut tut tut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Perhaps the judge is a vampire.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

WindSock wrote: »
    Is he in Cloverhill?
    No, Mountjoy. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Is he a repeat offender? You know the way garlic can repeat on you?

I'll get my coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

And still not one banker jailed........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

he got a strong sentence which will more than likely be reduced on appeal ...but it will deter others from attempting to defraud the revenue.

Revenue are spending hundreds of thousands ...maybe more ...on keeping a close eye on imports and gaining the correct amount of money from all imports - the government is trying to squeeze every penny out of people and those that try to cheat the system should get a similar sentence ...our courts are too soft as far as I'm concerned we need strong deterrents to try stop people breaking the law.

The law is there for a reason !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

mikom wrote: »
    And still not one banker jailed........
    My thoughts exactly. Which scam cost the taxpayer more?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Austo77

Serves him right imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

So he knowingly broke the law and defrauded the state and people think its a harsh treatment , in my opinion its the same as someone defrauding welfare or revenue by outright lying to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0309/begleyp.html

''The head of Ireland's largest fruit and vegetable producers has been jailed for six years for a €1.6m scam involving the importation of garlic.
    Paul Begley, 46, avoided paying customs duty on over 1,000 tonnes of garlic from China by having them labelled as apples.
    Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard the import duty on garlic is "inexplicably" high and can be up to 232%.
    In contrast, onions have an import duty of 9%.
    The maximum sentence for the offence is five years in prison or a fine of three times the value of the goods.
    Judge Martin Nolan imposed the maximum term on one count and one year on another count.''

Is this a bit excessive when you would get a lesser sentence for a serious assault ?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

So he scams the state for 1.6m and now the state (us) will pay roughly e500,000 to jail him.

Justice wins again yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

“It gives me no joy at all to jail a decent man," Judge Nolan said.

He said Begley is a “success story” an “asset to the country” in supporting the economy and providing employment. He noted Begley’s generosity and that he donates money to homeless charities and the St Vincent de Paul.

I wonder how many bankers, developers or politicians this can be said about....

So, not once did anyone take a look to check if they were actually apples? Great job, customs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

ail never pay! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Tarriffs like that are usually protective tarriffs to stop cheap Chinese imports flooding local markets and putting local producers out of business, similar extreme duties apply to things like clothing imports specifically from China.

And in other news, don't mess with Mr Taxman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

It's easy to grow garlic in Ireland. I did it before myself. Sure the stuff starts to grow if you leave it in the cupboard too long.

That right there is good enough argument for a very high import tax. He's killing local producers and killing anybody trying to import without breaking the law. It's hardly victimless crime. It's also very deliberate and premeditated by nature.

He'll probably get the punishment greatly reduced on appeal anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

shoulda murdered someone before he went to trial, would have been suspended then.

Irish judges: tough on white collar crimes, soft touches on actual criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Jesus,these golden delicious fcukin stink.

...are there really any local garlic producers though?

I'm willing to believe there might be the odd local artisan grower with a little niche of the local's farmer's market but any decent size commercial operators?

Don't get me wrong, breaking the law is breaking the law. But given the seemingly ludicrous and completely unjustified import tarriff (much more likely we have local onion growers) I can see where he's coming from.

Do our courts not have more important things to focus on?

Oh...and something else....how in the name of everything that is good and holy did the customs agents not smell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

wexie wrote: »
    Might be an EU-wide tarriff, no point in applying it in one country and not in the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Considering that your average garlic from China costs about 30cent in the shops that a lot of garlic or onions whatever way you look at it

ah yes.....

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

wexie wrote: »

I'm willing to believe there might be the odd local artisan grower with a little niche of the local's farmer's market but any decent size commercial operators?

Don't get me wrong, breaking the law is breaking the law. But given the seemingly ludicrous and completely unjustified import tarriff (much more likely we have local onion growers) I can see where he's coming from.

Do our courts not have more important things to focus on?

Oh...and something else....how in the name of everything that is good and holy did the customs agents not smell?
    But that's the point isn't it? If there were any they were killed by Begley and maybe others doing the same thing. And thanks to him and the like, it's not commercially viable to be local producer outside of the small local farmer's market niche.

I really think the tarriff is justified. How can it be a good idea to import something we can produce easily ourselves? Aside from the obvious economic and environmental considerations, there are serious health concerns as well.
    As a developing nation, China has relatively low sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) standards for its agricultural goods. Corruption in the government, such as the bribery of former head of the State Food and Drug Administration Zheng Xiaoyu, has also complicated China's regulation difficulties.[35] Excessive pesticide residues, low food hygiene, unsafe additives, contamination with heavy metals and other contaminants, and misuse of veterinary drugs have all led to trade restrictions with developed nations such as Japan, the United States, and the European Union.[36] These problems have also led to public outcry, such as in the melamine-tainted dog food scare and the carcinogenic-tainted seafood import restriction, leading to measures such as the "China-free" label.[37]

About one tenth of China's farmland is contaminated with heavy metals, according to the Ministry of Environmental Protection of the People's Republic of China.[38]

Incidentally I've read that crops are grown separately for the elite in China, because they are well aware of the issues with most of the crops they grow there. Dont remember the source or whether it was credible...must see if I can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He'd have probably got a smaller sentence for smuggling weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CorkBabe33

When I heard this on the news this evening I had to check my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st! What a joke. People who murder, rape, assault.... get sentences that are way less than that. The judges in this country haven't got a clue about the real world as this judge just proved...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

He broke the law and evaded tax, no question but Johnny Scumbag with 37 previous still gets away with a suspended. :mad:

Advertisement