Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Business

• 05-09-2010 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Anyone thats done business level 6/7/8?

Just wondering what the course is like, how many drop out and all that. And since the classes are the same each semester for each level, are the lectures combined?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xkariex

Its tough you really have to work as there is a high dropout rate. The lecturers generally change every semester its very rare you'll have the same lecturers!!

If you go to lectures and do the work its not half as bad as only turning up on the rare occasion !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dazkelly55

in level 5 there is not that many dropouts but i imagine as it goes higher the work will increase and may get harder

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I'm not doing it in WIT but business Level 8 is generally the same everywhere. My exams start tomorrow.. Contact hours are low but content is a lot for 5 credits each semester. I also do a 10 credit module in French which is much less work than my 5 credit Business modules. You have to like it. As another has said there is a high drop out rate.. 90 of us started, last assignment 75 handed it in, i'd say there will me more than won't come back after Xmas. Then again fro 2nd year. I go A's in Business at school and i'm generally good at the CA's and get good marks, but the sheer volume of stuff i've had to study for these 4 exams is insane. Exams this week are Information Systems, Economics, Accounting and Law. Any more questions, give a message, happy to answer anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭invara

I work in WIT, so only have a view from one side of the equation.

Each level is a different group, and although the module names are similar- they are totally stand alone programmes.

It is hard to fail if you turn up to every class, remarkably easy to fail if you skip class. Skipping class in any university is a slippery slope- you miss a briefing on an assignment, you screw it up and wallop you are struggling to pass a module- if it happens a few times you are struggling to pass the course. Programmes are designed around 100% attendance, and so it is very important to commit to keeping a near perfect attendance record . Drop out rates compare with the university sector (IoTs measure retention from October-June; universities traditionally measured March-June). Broadly, I think the school of business's 1st year retention rate is around 15%, and once through 1st year it drops to a negligible amount.

There is a large number of lecturers involved in delivering year 1 across all the business programmes, perhaps as many as 50. Each group has its own course director to bring people along and support students.

Advertisement