Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Death Cert/Galway/Rahoon/Circular Road 1906

Options
  • 10-04-2014 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm researching family history and pretty sure I have the correct death cert but the person is buried in Rahoon Cemetry in Galway when the person lived in Sligo.

I'm trying to find a connection with why a death cert should give the address as Circular Road Galway? I thought perhaps a hospital? And buried in Rahoon Cemetery, was this cemetery used by a hospital?

The death cert also only gives "Mrs" as first name. Again I'm guessing that the death cert may have been completed by hospital staff, or similar staff who did not know her first name?

This lady would have been 27 years old at death, her widowed husband and 4 children still living in Sligo in the 1911 census. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

(Genealogy can be a very humbling experience).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Possibly Mrs was buried with her own family who may have been from Galway? Was she alive in 1901 - you could check where she said she was from in the 1901 census.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

KildareFan wrote: »
    Possibly Mrs was buried with her own family who may have been from Galway? Was she alive in 1901 - you could check where she said she was from in the 1901 census.

Thanks KildareFan.

Born in Sligo. Married Sligo in 1897 when 18 years old. Living in Sligo/Galway border 1901. Surviving family living in Sligo 1911. 2 Eldest children living with father, 2 younger children living with grandparents all in Sligo. (Husband employed by G&SW Railway).

I thought perhaps a TB hospital or similar? Circular Road is pretty central to Galway City? Although might be wrong person. But at moment I'm thinking it is.

Just an idea at the moment. Thanks.

Looking at the OSI map for around 1900, Circular Road was in the Dangan Upper townland. parish of Rahoon, west of Galway - very rural with no major institutions on it. There were 8 households in Dangan Upper in 1901 & 9 in 1911 Census. No hospital or nursing home, just farmers & teachers. Do you have the name of the informant?

KildareFan wrote: »
    Looking at the OSI map for around 1900, Circular Road was in the Dangan Upper townland. parish of Rahoon, west of Galway - very rural with no major institutions on it. There were 8 households in Dangan Upper in 1901 & 9 in 1911 Census. No hospital or nursing home, just farmers & teachers. Do you have the name of the informant?

Thanks so much for that. I'm not the best at accessing maps..:o.

The family had a long association with the G&SW Railway and had resided in G&SW Railway accomodation in Counties Clare, Sligo and Galway, including the Grandfather.

When you say name of the informant, is that the name of the person reporting the death? Neither is given in either case, husband or wife. (I think I have the Death cert of the husband, in 1916 when the address was given as Dangan Road). No details of either death given.

I'll PM you the name of the family. Many thanks for your time and help, that is very kind of you. :)

Apologies for late info:

Is the area you have viewed on the OSI map, close to Pollaturick/Addergoole? The husband/family was working with G&SW railway as a station agent in 1901.

• Advertisement

No - Pollaturick is near Milltown, East Galway & south of Tuam. There was a railway station there in the 1890s, and it seems there are plans to reopen it - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milltown_railway_station

There's a photo of the disused railway station at https://www.flickr.com/search?text=Disused%20railway%20station%20milltown%20co%20galway&sort=relevance

You may be barking up the wrong tree with the Mrs Heffernan who died in 1906 & is buried in Rahoon as it's quite a distance from Pollaturick.

Hi Kettleson

Thought I'd responded -

Pollaturick is a townland between Tuam and Claremorris, beside Milltown. There is a disused railway station (open 1894, closed 1963) in Milltown, https://www.flickr.com/search?text=Disused%20railway%20station%20milltown%20co%20galway&sort=relevance

Milltown is about 47km from Galway city, so nowhere near Rahoon.

Hope this helps

Hi KF, and thanks so much for your help.

I've started using the Family Search site, but can't seem to get any results. Even the one for Katie that you found. Is there a knack to it?

Is it a matter of trial and error/getting used to the site?

Interesting as well, that the fee paying site that I was using, Roots Ireland, doesn't appear to have that entry for Katie that you sent me. Maybe it's me getting the search wrong? Probably.....hehehe!

Advertisement